Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Anyone have whining noise in their X ?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2010, 10:49 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This morning on the way to work I was in 4th gear and was letting the engine slow me down before down shifting. When the RPMs got to around 2500-2000 a loud clanking sound started. I then hit the gas and the noise went away. I was on the highway in 5th gear and traffic was starting to slow and again I just left off the gas. The loud clanking came back and it sounded like the gear shift was going to shoot through the roof. I hit the gas and the noise was still there until I got past 3500 RPM.

I have an 08 GSR with only 15k miles on it. I have only had the car for a week today and now this is making me nervous. Taking it in after work so that the shop can troublshoot it.

I do have the whinning along with the not going into reverse issue as well. When ever the car is cold 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd shifts are tough until it warms up.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 01:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Wrex1977
I do have the whinning along with the not going into reverse issue as well. When ever the car is cold 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd shifts are tough until it warms up.
That last set of symptoms is very very normal.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 10:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by FL4TLINE
i have the same whine in 1st and 2nd..but the clunking/grinding while parking or making sharp turns is horrible...thats normal??
The dealer I bought the car from said they could hear it but didnt know what it was and therefor it wasnt a problem. They told me to come back if it got worse. Months later went to a closer dealer just out of convenience and the tech immediately said thats not normal. They ended up changing the diff fluid and it was faint but still there, they tried to tell me changing from my bald tires would help it go away as well. I have been riding on my wedssports now and can still hear it. I'm dropping this car off at the dealer the second I put my snow tires on and telling them not to call me until its fixed.(I'm putting the stockers back on so they cant blame the 18x10's at all lol)