Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Service Engine soon light

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2010, 04:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Service Engine soon light

So recently my service engine light soon will come on. It usually comes on when im doing 20-30 mph just cruising. It usually stays on for a day or two and than goes off. Than a couple days later it will come on again. It doesn't run any different when the light comes on. It didn't start doing it until after I got it tuned. Any ideas??
Old Oct 8, 2010, 04:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Pull the error code next time.

Also, what mods do you have? It could be something to do with your post-cat O2 sensor if you use a different cat.
Old Oct 8, 2010, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Segfault
Pull the error code next time.

Also, what mods do you have? It could be something to do with your post-cat O2 sensor if you use a different cat.
I have ultimate racing cat back, 3” Resonated Test Pipe, AMS intake and tuned by CBRD
Old Oct 8, 2010, 04:57 PM
Evolving Member

You should be able to still pull the code out. Just because the light goes off doesn't mean the code is cleared. It means that it has gone so many test cycles passing and so it turns the light off. When it comes on, it has failed again and will stay on until so many passed test cycles have been executed. Pull the code and see what she says.
Old Oct 8, 2010, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by racingguy13
You should be able to still pull the code out. Just because the light goes off doesn't mean the code is cleared. It means that it has gone so many test cycles passing and so it turns the light off. When it comes on, it has failed again and will stay on until so many passed test cycles have been executed. Pull the code and see what she says.

I was hoping it was just one of those things that evos do.
Old Oct 8, 2010, 05:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
If you have just a test pipe, it very well could be the O2 sensor error...I forget the DTC #. If you haven't already done it, I'd also put an O2 sensor spacer. It looks like this: http://www.amsperformance.com/cart/A...or-Spacer.html and some auto stores do carry it.
Old Oct 8, 2010, 05:10 PM
Evolving Member

Check engine lights come on for hundreds of reasons. Some as simple as you didn't tighten the gas cap to the motor is blowing up. If it doesn't run any different, it's probably not something to be massively worried about. It could just be an evaporitive emissions fault for the fuel filling system or maybe related to your exhaust. Although when you get a cat fault, it will usually stay on since it's a critical emissions system and they want you to get it checked. I think some auto parts stores still will scan you for free to see the fault. If not find someone in the area with an AP or something.
Old Oct 8, 2010, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Segfault
If you have just a test pipe, it very well could be the O2 sensor error...I forget the DTC #. If you haven't already done it, I'd also put an O2 sensor spacer. It looks like this: http://www.amsperformance.com/cart/A...or-Spacer.html and some auto stores do carry it.

thanks
Old Oct 10, 2010, 06:27 PM

Any autopart store will pull the code for free. If I had to guess I would guess exhaust emission stuff with your mods but better to get it checked to be safe.
Old Oct 10, 2010, 07:36 PM
Evolving Member

you probably have a po420 code, probably need to run a spacer for that o2 sensor on your test pipe