Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Opinion on how to relocate my Evo to the east coast

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2010, 09:48 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Opinion on how to relocate my Evo to the east coast

So I am currently working as an engineer for the Air Force right outside of LA. I grew up in Pittsburgh and West Chester, PA and decided it is time to relocate back to the east coast where all my family and friends are...and all 4 seasons. The game plan is to move back around January and to either Pittsburgh, Philly, or MD...wherever I can find myself a decent job.

This is where I need your opinion. I do not know whether I should drive my car back east (miles), ship it (risk of damage), or trailer it on a uhaul (more expensive than moving truck based on amount of furniture/stuff I own, but the car is in my hands). I got my WW Evo X in July, it is my DD, and currently my only means of transportation. If anyone has any idea of another means to get the car back home please let me know. I appreciate the suggestions and if you have any leads/connections on a job that would be great too haha. Thanks!
Old Oct 28, 2010, 09:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
if it's cheaper to send it with a transport company than trailer it yourself, do that or drive it.

i'll pick it up for you
Old Oct 28, 2010, 09:57 AM
Evolving Member

I would do the u haul route- You are in charge of the car- Most carriers have insurance, but there can always be risks- I rented a large truck with a full car carrier, got a really nice car cover, and towed from B more to AZ. I have moved and towed several times, and will always do it myself (you know that it is done right!)
Old Oct 28, 2010, 10:17 AM
Evolving Member

Uhaul it...will give you peace of mind that your car is safe(r) than trusting a company to ship it for you. Otherwise a cross-country drive.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 11:12 AM
Evolving Member

I have driven plenty of trucks before but never trailing anything. How difficult is it to trail a car on a uhaul/truck and cross country at that?
Old Oct 28, 2010, 11:53 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
personally I'd find a transport company with good reviews and just let them take care of it...as long as the company is insured and they have a good reputation it shouldn't be a huge issue

many people ship cars via transport and have no issues

I'd personally opt for an enclosed trailer
Old Oct 28, 2010, 12:20 PM
Evolving Member

It's only going to add a few thousand miles to the car. I've driven from Las Vegas to New Hampshire before in a box truck and it wasn't fun, but not too bad. I'm sure it would have been a lot more fun if I drove the EVO instead.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by V8eatr
How difficult is it to trail a car on a uhaul/truck and cross country at that?
Not a big deal since you're mostly on the freeway and if you stop at truck stops then they're designed to allow big setups to manuever. Just make sure you get a good truck when you go...you're always better off getting your setup from a U-Haul center rather than a reseller since they do the maintenance right there and things tend to be in better shape for that reason.

I worked a number of years for a Uhaul reseller so I learned a bit about how things work.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 03:26 PM
Evolving Member

I vote for driving it back. just put blue painters tape on the front clip to save you from rock chips. Blue tape doesn't leave adhesive when you take it off either.

I may be able to get you in my office (I work for a title company). My company is hiring big time & I am a supervisor. I live by the Pittsburgh airport/Robinson area. Hit me up if you want further details. I could probably get you in ASAP.

Oh and..... GO STEELERS!
Old Oct 28, 2010, 03:38 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by V8eatr
So I am currently working as an engineer for the Air Force right outside of LA. I grew up in Pittsburgh and West Chester, PA and decided it is time to relocate back to the east coast where all my family and friends are...and all 4 seasons. The game plan is to move back around January and to either Pittsburgh, Philly, or MD...wherever I can find myself a decent job.

This is where I need your opinion. I do not know whether I should drive my car back east (miles), ship it (risk of damage), or trailer it on a uhaul (more expensive than moving truck based on amount of furniture/stuff I own, but the car is in my hands). I got my WW Evo X in July, it is my DD, and currently my only means of transportation. If anyone has any idea of another means to get the car back home please let me know. I appreciate the suggestions and if you have any leads/connections on a job that would be great too haha. Thanks!
I will be relocating myself and my wifey from LA to Philly well its always fun a long drive roadtrip..... and you know that your car is safe in your hands
Old Oct 28, 2010, 05:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
lots of cali to pa movers lately. if anyone moves to the philly region, we have a good group of guys here. check out our thread in regional.
Old Oct 29, 2010, 07:57 AM
Evolved Member

Just hire Dana Carvey to drive it for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bbq6MeFZ-s
Old Oct 29, 2010, 08:15 AM
Evolving Member

What type of engineer are you?
Old Oct 29, 2010, 08:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Either drive or U-haul. I would drive it personally.
Old Oct 29, 2010, 10:26 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i would just trailer it over there

Quick Reply: Opinion on how to relocate my Evo to the east coast