Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Stuttering/Bogging issues after ETS intake install

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2010, 06:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stuttering/Bogging issues after ETS intake install

I noticed after installing my ETS intake that anytime I go up an incline in 5th gear or sometimes 4th gear, if the RPMs are low (around 2000) that sometimes the car stutters, with the bov making quick wooshing of air sounds and performance suffers until I either push the accelerator all the way to the floor or shift back to 4th or 3rd.

I never experienced this problem before the intake, I was able to go over the same mountain that I usually experience the problem fine in 5th gear, but granted I only had the car for about two weeks or so before I put the intake on.

Any ideas on what is wrong? I don't think its a huge issue, but I'm afraid it might be damaging to the car over time.

Last edited by Travis959; Nov 8, 2010 at 02:53 PM.
Old Oct 31, 2010, 06:30 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Intake requires tune. Did you tune?
Old Oct 31, 2010, 06:50 AM

Not yet, I was planning on getting the cobb accessport this winter, but I thought I read the ETS intake didn't require a tune
Old Oct 31, 2010, 11:44 AM
Evolved Member

An intake doesn't require a tune. I was in the same boat. Make sure your heat shield is on. I have the ETS also. How fast are you exactly going up that incline speed wise? To me it sounds like you are in the wrong gear and the car is struggling to make up for loss of power. Does your car shudder when this happens?
Old Oct 31, 2010, 12:00 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
do you have a shield on the intake?

.................................................. ...........

car is making no power at 2k rpm in 5th gear

you need to downshift and be in 3rd/4th gear and make use of the added power/torque the turbo produces

you are making the motor work really hard for no reason
Old Oct 31, 2010, 12:02 PM

Im on the same boat. My car stutters on 5th gear during low speed around 2200-2500 rpm. I experienced this before and after I installed my injen intake though.
Old Oct 31, 2010, 12:06 PM

My car does the same even with a tune, just downshift.
Old Oct 31, 2010, 12:15 PM
Evolved Member

Okay I just went out to test this out. I was doing exactly 25mph @ 3000rpm up an incline and the car started shudder when I threw it in 3rd.
Did the same thing when I hit 4krpm @ 25 and the shift was perfect with no shuddering.

Your not supposed to be in that gear at "low speeds" up an incline.
You guys fail to mention your actual speed!

Personally I'm always in 3rd an raise the revs to at least 4krpm + before I upshift while traveling up an incline.

Last edited by tehSteve; Oct 31, 2010 at 12:18 PM.
Old Oct 31, 2010, 12:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Is the ac on? I'm not sure if you have to move the bov to install this intake, but if you did, is it installed right? Maybe u installed it backwards?
Old Oct 31, 2010, 01:04 PM

Its installed correctly, speed is probably 50 mph or maybe 45mph at the least when I notice it most times because I will be behind another car. I'm not talking a sharp incline although that definitely would make it do it worse. The heat shield is installed and I'm fairly positive the bov is installed correctly as I checked several pictures of the install before and after I did mine.

I'm not exactly sure the rpm, ill have to look more closely but its definitely between 2000 and 3000.
Old Oct 31, 2010, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by tehSteve
An intake doesn't require a tune.
I have only heard the opposite about 1,000 times.
Old Oct 31, 2010, 03:49 PM
Evolved Member

I guess actually taking the chance of doing it... rather than just hearing it.... proved a point.
Also I bet if I wasn't running the heat shield I would be experiencing symptoms.

Last edited by tehSteve; Oct 31, 2010 at 03:57 PM.
Old Nov 1, 2010, 09:17 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
Travis -

Did you get the problem figured out? If not, please contact me and I will try to help you out. I have never had a customer with this problem using our intake. We need to make sure the heat shield is installed and everything is installed correctly. The blow off valve is recirculating as well?

Thanks!

Michael
Old Nov 1, 2010, 09:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Did you remove the BOV? If so, ensure it's not installed in a push style configuration...

The vacumn nipple should face the passenger side.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 08:06 AM

As far as I know everything is installed correctly, the only problem I had during installation was keeping the intake on the turbo. If I tightened it too much, it would push the intake off, and obviously not enough risks it falling off as well.

Anyways, I made sure it was snug, but obviously I didn't pull on it with all my strength.

It looks like the previous owner had an intake on it before, as two of the bolts securing the airbox down were missing. Could this have anything to do with it?

I'm about to go to work, but I'll try to take pictures today so we can verify everything is installed correctly.

Quick Reply: Stuttering/Bogging issues after ETS intake install