Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

did i buy the wrong evo?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2010, 01:20 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Snake bite
lol at all the bad owner/driver comments.

care to say how to launch a car better? i think if the owner of a company launches the same way, that it aint to bad.

anyway, looks like theres all 8/9 people in here with the no 10's.
I agree with you...

I also agree with adding load so not to shock the drive train...

I think you are launching fine and this from an owner of an 8RS/9GSR/10GSR
Old Nov 2, 2010, 01:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
as long as u learned from your mistakes i'd say reduce the launching of it. it'll save u money in the long run for more useful parts. but if u wanted an all out beast of a race cr i'd get an VIII/IX i think the X is just for cruising...
Old Nov 2, 2010, 01:42 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
I wiped out the hater brigade comments.

I don't think you have the wrong car, but you probably are launching it too hard if you broke the rear diff. I always used the blip-blip-slip method revving between 5300-5600rpm. You have to walk the clutch out so you use it as a fuse. I pulled 1.6 60's like that on an aftermarket clutch (VIII).

I have seen people break VIIIs, IXs, and Xs on the strip. After probably 25 launches on my VIII, I never launched my IX or either X even once. These cars are AWD for traction on a circuit track and were not intended for drag racing. Although they can be made to do it well, the reason people see failures is because that is a ton of shock on the driveline. Its a lot like Russian Roulette. It might work out, it might break. My advice is get a RWD car for drag racing and leave the Evo to autox/trackdays. Or shell out and upgrade lotsa stuff so it can handle it, because breakage is unfortunately part of the game.

Good luck, man.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 02:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i've read that evo x drive train its very reliable, I have a friend that has launch the car more that 100+ and of course he had to change the clutch but says that compared to older evo's the evox holds much agressive driving....

I just hope I dont blow my rear diff.... good luck to you man... oohhh yeah and i'm a evo x owner...

Last edited by ClaudioEvoX; Nov 2, 2010 at 02:28 PM.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 05:47 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ClaudioEvoX
I just hope I dont blow my rear diff.... good luck to you man... oohhh yeah and i'm a evo x owner...
For real! ((crossing fingers))

I miss my 8 sometimes... I drove it spiritedly all the time, only thing that ever wore out on me was the clutch. I'm much more timid about the X when it comes to launching it with all these stories of rear diffs blowing up. Granted I rarely launched my 8, I just dont want to have to be scared of enjoying my car. For now I'm just going to drive it without launching it. For now...
Old Nov 2, 2010, 06:08 PM

you beat on it and it broke.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 07:22 PM
Evolving Member

thanks alot noize, its nice to see mods who do there job.

a big thing i forgot to mention is i have a feeling my car was modded before i bought it ( im the second owner). its missing the side plastic panels to go next to the stock fmic, secodn set of tires and they were shot at 17k miles, no oem heat sheild and the car had a blown cat and the cat and dp looks like they were put back on with random hard wear.

i think im done with my little drag racer faze, and want to work on this car looking decent after i get cams and a fmic. i need to take it easy on this car and save up for a real drag car (ls1 camaro or fwd dsm anyone?)
Old Nov 2, 2010, 07:30 PM
Evolving Member

That probably explains why the diff is shot. I was going to ask if you are the original owner.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 07:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Jhero23
If I not mistaken that's how girls launch their evos. You should not red light if your stepping on the clutch, unless your racing on a downhill track .
you apparently cant read correctly or you cant see, i dont believe that is her tracking the car in the video, the vid states that Em took the car to the track... and there are people posting that their car starts to creep forward when building boost on the 2 step... maybe if you searched for the topic you wouldnt be so fast to jump on my post and try to make me look stupid...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTW-b...eature=related

Originally Posted by FJF
FWIW, the parking brake method can actually save one's drivetrain by taking the slack out of it before launch. Em from STM used to launch the Ricer with the parking brake, before the car started running 9s.
thank you for backing up my statement.... JHero23 FTL!

Originally Posted by VividRacing.com
I agree with you...

I also agree with adding load so not to shock the drive train...

I think you are launching fine and this from an owner of an 8RS/9GSR/10GSR

thank you for backing up my statement also... again! JHero23 FTMFL!!!

Last edited by white_evo27; Nov 2, 2010 at 08:02 PM. Reason: added video
Old Nov 2, 2010, 08:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I launch my Evo a lot. Sometimes just for ****s and giggles because it's fun. It's all in the technique. If you get a clean launch, without the drivetrain engaging hard with a slam or wheel hop then you'll be ok.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 09:03 PM
Former Sponsor

The handbrake method works to help take up the slack in the driveline.. You just have to be smooth with and it will come out nice and soft.. Did you buy the wrong car?? if you wanted to drag race an evo yes you bought the wrong car.. The 8/9 is 10x more friendly to drag #1 because of the weight..

Mike
Old Nov 2, 2010, 09:09 PM

First of all you dont need to hold your parking brake to launch your car. Second the only possible way you could have blown your diff and clutch is if you are launching the car wrong. I would highly recommend taking it easier on your new diff and clutch.
Unless you are making over 400whp. I had 50 plus launches on my evo VIII when it was making 325whp with a stock clutch and diff and 45,000 miles.
Best of luck
Old Nov 2, 2010, 09:11 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by ncaruso23
First of all you dont need to hold your parking brake to launch your car. Second the only possible way you could have blown your diff and clutch is if you are launching the car wrong. I would highly recommend taking it easier on your new diff and clutch.
Unless you are making over 400whp. I had 50 plus launches on my evo VIII when it was making 325whp with a stock clutch and diff and 45,000 miles.
Best of luck
You may want to know cars with 300whp brake easier than with 400hp in many cases.. I had 100+ launches on 800hp and never broke my rear..

MIke
Old Nov 2, 2010, 09:37 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Using the Hand brake or Staging brake is almost a must if you have it. Do you need it? No, but it sure does help. Its good for loading the car and being consistent.

-Em
Old Nov 2, 2010, 09:42 PM

I have had the opportunity to Launch an viii and a x. I've launched them with ebrake and without ebrake. Both ways worked fine for me

Quick Reply: did i buy the wrong evo?