Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

did i buy the wrong evo?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2010, 10:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am not stating that the X is weaker but my friends EVO X has not been good to him. He blew the stock clutch at 10k and then blew his engine at less then 20k, mods and no tune on an X = FAIL!
Old Nov 2, 2010, 10:19 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Master Evo8
I am not stating that the X is weaker but my friends EVO X has not been good to him. He blew the stock clutch at 10k and then blew his engine at less then 20k, mods and no tune on an X = FAIL!
I think his car is here.. Just had 1 towed in with boost controller No tune..
Old Nov 2, 2010, 11:52 PM
Evolved Member

I've owned all three and I don't think the X is any different on drivetrain reliability. I'm thinking even if you know how to launch an AWD car that you did it wrong that time. I've seen it many times at the drag strip with older Evos.

Like AWD said, if you intend to drag race, then you should have stuck with the older body style.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 11:01 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by AWD Motorsports
I think his car is here.. Just had 1 towed in with boost controller No tune..
Yup thats the one, gray evo right?, I recommended him to take it to you guys.

Last edited by Master Evo8; Nov 3, 2010 at 11:12 AM.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by AWD Motorsports
The handbrake method works to help take up the slack in the driveline.. You just have to be smooth with and it will come out nice and soft.. Did you buy the wrong car?? if you wanted to drag race an evo yes you bought the wrong car.. The 8/9 is 10x more friendly to drag #1 because of the weight..

Mike
very true. not to say that the x can't be a good drag car, but I feel that it's meant more for a daily driver and cruising car.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 11:30 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by tisoy3
very true. not to say that the x can't be a good drag car, but I feel that it's meant more for a daily driver and cruising car.
The X does great on the track. That is what it was built for. Not for drag.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 11:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
14K miles most of them hard . Many stage start etc.
Stock drive train only Exedy triple pack stage 2 clutch. Stock engine with Cosworth cams. Stock transmission etc. Car once was over 330 whp and TQ now with a rally rule requiered restrictor plate the car is sitting at 238 wtq and 339 wtq . I have 0 problem and there is no sign for any weakness neither has any noises.
That is my case Rob
Old Nov 3, 2010, 11:40 AM
Evolved Member

that is a case with all the evos from day one.

Rob
Old Nov 3, 2010, 11:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You talk of the X like it's an Accord or something lol. Stock for stock it's a better track car than the IX or VIII.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 11:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I wonder how many of these type situations occured because of the damn FP relay and FPR hose.....
Old Nov 3, 2010, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by heavyD
You talk of the X like it's an Accord or something lol. Stock for stock it's a better track car than the IX or VIII.
I'm only saying that because it is a heavier car compared the viii and ix. When I drove a x it didn't feel like a track car. I'm not saying that it can't be a track car... Anything Modded can be tracked.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 12:23 PM
Evolved Member

I'm only saying that because it is a heavier car compared the viii and ix. When I drove a x it didn't feel like a track car. I'm not saying that it can't be a track car... Anything Modded can be tracked.
hm... my evo 8 GSR SSL was aprox a 150 or less lbs lighter then my 08 X GSR, yes we scaled them on the same scale , yeas years later.
But im sure your Civic is a better track car since its lighter then your evo out of box, right?

About your " anything modded can be tracked comment"
I feel your pain, but this argument goes to another thread. if you like to be there, here is the link. You can educate yourself there to preventing yourself from doing meaningless comments according to an Evo.

Rob

link:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...merge-183.html
Old Nov 3, 2010, 01:04 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Drive the X on a track then tell us that. On the track mod for mod my X beats my VIII consistently for lap times.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by Noize
I wiped out the hater brigade comments.

I don't think you have the wrong car, but you probably are launching it too hard if you broke the rear diff. I always used the blip-blip-slip method revving between 5300-5600rpm. You have to walk the clutch out so you use it as a fuse. I pulled 1.6 60's like that on an aftermarket clutch (VIII).

I have seen people break VIIIs, IXs, and Xs on the strip. After probably 25 launches on my VIII, I never launched my IX or either X even once. These cars are AWD for traction on a circuit track and were not intended for drag racing. Although they can be made to do it well, the reason people see failures is because that is a ton of shock on the driveline. Its a lot like Russian Roulette. It might work out, it might break. My advice is get a RWD car for drag racing and leave the Evo to autox/trackdays. Or shell out and upgrade lotsa stuff so it can handle it, because breakage is unfortunately part of the game.

Good luck, man.

great advice!