Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

did i buy the wrong evo?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2010, 11:00 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
did i buy the wrong evo?

now before i go into this, let me say i love this car and im not dying to trade it for a 8/9, i just want to get some opinions and thoughts on if i really should trade this car.

to sum it up, i want to know if the evo 8/9 is truly a stronger car then the X. ive blown my clutch (expected that) and blown my rear diff (didnt expect that...) after 23k miles. i know how to launch an awd car and only have about 25 launches on the car. i have friends with 8s that are launching every weekend and have 50 plus launches on the car.i just dont want to know what can go wrong next on the car. yes, you have to pay to go fast, but my car doesnt even seen fast enough to test out how strong the drivetrain is. i have bigger plans for this car but before i even go through with them, do i have the wrong car? am i the only one in this dilema?
Old Nov 1, 2010, 11:40 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Snake bite
i know how to launch an awd car and only have about 25 launches on the car.
How do you launch an AWD car?
Old Nov 1, 2010, 11:46 PM
Evolving Member

hold parking brake up and drop clutch slowly and parking brake fast at the same time. wheels spin so not a hard shock goes to the drivetrain.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 12:13 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
I know guys in VIIIs that blew their t.case with under 5 launches. Launching an AWD car is hard on the drive train no matter how to slice it. Something has to give. In the X, it's the rear end. In the VIII / IX it's the ring gear. They have upgrades for the tcase for the CT9A so it makes it less likely, just like they have upgrades for the X rear diff.

Out of all the AWD drag racers I know, I haven't heard of any of them launching like that. We have launch control for a reason.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 12:14 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Snake bite
hold parking brake up and drop clutch slowly and parking brake fast at the same time. wheels spin so not a hard shock goes to the drivetrain.
In my opinion, the e-brake thing is unnecessary. This is how I launch my car.

1. Make sure the car is not moving at all and on a flat surface. (This is what you are accomplishing by engaging your e-brake).
2. Put the car in 1st gear with the clutch all the way in and floor the gas(should be hitting our 5.5k 2-step rev limiter).
3. With the gas pedal still pressed to the floor, slip the clutch until you feel the car start to move.
4. When you feel the car starting to roll, release the clutch completely and start going with your foot still on the gas.

If you do all of this right, your transmission, t-case, etc. should not take any damage besides the obvious wear and tear on your clutch. You should also not bog or else you are doing it wrong. I've done this at my local drag strip 75+ times with occasional launches on back roads when my friends wanted to see what it feels like. I also have 21k on my clutch, an Exedy Stage 1 which is a step above stock, and feel like my car is running perfectly.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 12:43 AM

Wow, 25 launches. I think I'm 24 away...lol
Old Nov 2, 2010, 12:57 AM
Evolving Member

<<< No issues yet with only about 10-15 launches on a stock clutch and just about 15k on the car...
Old Nov 2, 2010, 01:21 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by migs647
I know guys in VIIIs that blew their t.case with under 5 launches. Launching an AWD car is hard on the drive train no matter how to slice it. Something has to give. In the X, it's the rear end. In the VIII / IX it's the ring gear. They have upgrades for the tcase for the CT9A so it makes it less likely, just like they have upgrades for the X rear diff.

Out of all the AWD drag racers I know, I haven't heard of any of them launching like that. We have launch control for a reason.

Originally Posted by umopp
In my opinion, the e-brake thing is unnecessary. This is how I launch my car.

1. Make sure the car is not moving at all and on a flat surface. (This is what you are accomplishing by engaging your e-brake).
2. Put the car in 1st gear with the clutch all the way in and floor the gas(should be hitting our 5.5k 2-step rev limiter).
3. With the gas pedal still pressed to the floor, slip the clutch until you feel the car start to move.
4. When you feel the car starting to roll, release the clutch completely and start going with your foot still on the gas.

If you do all of this right, your transmission, t-case, etc. should not take any damage besides the obvious wear and tear on your clutch. You should also not bog or else you are doing it wrong. I've done this at my local drag strip 75+ times with occasional launches on back roads when my friends wanted to see what it feels like. I also have 21k on my clutch, an Exedy Stage 1 which is a step above stock, and feel like my car is running perfectly.

if you watch the STM video's, i think it was 4g63 girls evo on the track... im not sure who was racing it, but they used the ebrake to launch exactly how the OP stated... maybe they could share some info on this...

from what i heard this does work better to save your drivetrain but wears out your ebrake quickly. its how ive launched my car 100's of times... nothing sucks more than red lighting at the track because once the 2 step is initiated the car starts to creep forward...
Old Nov 2, 2010, 03:28 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by white_evo27
if you watch the STM video's, i think it was 4g63 girls evo on the track... im not sure who was racing it, but they used the ebrake to launch exactly how the OP stated... maybe they could share some info on this...

from what i heard this does work better to save your drivetrain but wears out your ebrake quickly. its how ive launched my car 100's of times... nothing sucks more than red lighting at the track because once the 2 step is initiated the car starts to creep forward...

If I not mistaken that's how girls launch their evos. You should not red light if your stepping on the clutch, unless your racing on a downhill track .
Old Nov 2, 2010, 07:14 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
FWIW, the parking brake method can actually save one's drivetrain by taking the slack out of it before launch. Em from STM used to launch the Ricer with the parking brake, before the car started running 9s.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 07:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JonahEVO
You did not get get the wrong Evo. The Evo got a Bad Owner.
haha, I have 60,000 miles on my IX MR replaced the clutch @52,000 miles. car made the power in the sig, its a blast to drive. + its the last Evo of that generation though i have had thoughts of selling it for an Exige S, something tells me the insurance will rape me more then the evo @ 22yrs old...Something that can be better then an evo ix is going to cost you 35-50k used. I have never driven the X but this is just what i hear and based on the specs.
Sounds like you need to just not launch your car as much. That or get a shep case.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 07:24 AM
Evolving Member

Couple of years ago when the Evo9 came out. There was a kid that just had gotten a Brand New Evo9. Had it for a couple of days. He messed up the clutch and tranny from launching at every stop sign. The good thing was that he couldn't afford it and the bank took it away. Poor Evo.....
Old Nov 2, 2010, 07:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by OBP
If you cannot afford/complaining to build the diff why are you launching the car?
There's no free lunch to beating on a car.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 11:53 AM

Why so angry guys? We all learn things, even if he is wrong - its better to help him understand why and what to do..
Old Nov 2, 2010, 12:19 PM
Evolving Member

lol at all the bad owner/driver comments.

care to say how to launch a car better? i think if the owner of a company launches the same way, that it aint to bad.

anyway, looks like theres all 8/9 people in here with the no 10's.

Quick Reply: did i buy the wrong evo?