Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

370Z to Evo X.....Anyone??

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2010, 07:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
370Z to Evo X.....Anyone??

I have an '09 370Z. I love the car. It sounds, looks, and performs great.

Then, why am I considering an X? Well the wife is expecting and I decided that keeping the Z will make life a little annoying because of impracticality reasons. The wife drives a crossover. While I'm sure we could manage with our current situation but having an additional car with rear seats would be a huge plus. I'm sure those who already have kids can agree.

I'm considering the X because I would still like to have a high performing car, and it definitely fits that category.

So my question is has anyone made this switch from 370Z to EVOX? What are your thoughts? Any regrets? So on...

Old Nov 11, 2010, 08:01 AM
Evolving Member

Do it! The X will fit your needs of performance and room for 2+
Old Nov 11, 2010, 08:07 AM
Evolving Member

definitely get the X. I don't know why people associate 4 doors as less sporty, but I went from an 06 6-speed maxima (which I believe is still the same motor as the 370, i know it was with the 350) and knew I couldn't live without the 4 door, so naturally there was no other choice other than the EVO.

Plus going from an N/A car to a Boosted car is a world of a difference with the difference in power in the range.

You won't regret it.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 08:07 AM
Evolved Member

It's common for people to switch back and forth, there are plenty of threads if you search on 350 and 370z.

On anything other than dry pavement, the Evo will spank most cars. I figured that out when it started raining at an HPDE...I passed everything as if they were standing still. An Evo with the right tires doesn't notice rain and a snow-filled parking lot can be a blast.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 08:10 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
drive it first and you will like it. much better than the maxima in the nissan ads
Old Nov 11, 2010, 08:25 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
You'll need a reflash to exceed the performance of the 370, but after that, it should be very enjoyable for you. Good luck and enjoy being a dad! There is truly nothing better.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 08:29 AM

While you may receive some feedback from other people who switched to the X from various cars, I still recommend searching the site for common issues with the X to help you get a feel for the engine, drivetrain, and aesthetic issues you'll need concern yourself with if you want your car to be in good working condition and to be happy with the car. This thread by Noize was a great starting point for me https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ssues-etc.html.

I'd also recommend test driving the car, twice. During my first test drive, I was over excited and didn't pay attention to anything that I might dislike after purchasing the vehicle, but on the second test drive I paid more attention to the handling (which we all know is awesome), working the tranny, noise levels, etc, and then made a decision on whether to buy.

Hopefully I don't sound like a parent here - I just think that the X is honestly not for everyone, and with you seemingly enjoying your Nissan up to this point, it would be a shame for you to move into a car you're going to regret buying before your first oil change because you hadn't exploited the great EvoM forum

Best of luck
Old Nov 11, 2010, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by BoostedSlvrGSR
definitely get the X. I don't know why people associate 4 doors as less sporty, but I went from an 06 6-speed maxima (which I believe is still the same motor as the 370, i know it was with the 350) and knew I couldn't live without the 4 door, so naturally there was no other choice other than the EVO.

Plus going from an N/A car to a Boosted car is a world of a difference with the difference in power in the range.

You won't regret it.
I don't think 4 doors are less sporty. I just fell in love with the new Z with it's looks and refinement. Plus, I've always wanted a 2-seater sports car. But in all honesty, the EVO X was my second choice back when I bought the Z.

Originally Posted by Noize
You'll need a reflash to exceed the performance of the 370, but after that, it should be very enjoyable for you. Good luck and enjoy being a dad! There is truly nothing better.
I agree. When I test drove an X last week, I didn't find it to be any quicker than my Z. But I also wasn't able to really drive it hard. The X would build up speed quicker but then flat-line or taper off earlier in the RPM range. Where as the Z just kept climbing to redline. At least that was my experience. Again, I didn't drive the EVO to redline.

But I do know this, and it's a fact, that $/HP the EVO wins hands down. I spend about $1,250 on a CBE and it got me roughly 20WHP according to the company and independent dyno results. However, for about the same price you can achieve close to 80WHP on an EVO with some power packages like AMS have.

So EVO is a better bang for the buck. It is really expensive to make the 370Z significantly faster than it is stock.

Oh, and thanks for the kind words regarding future parenthood.

Originally Posted by newb1
While you may receive some feedback from other people who switched to the X from various cars, I still recommend searching the site for common issues with the X to help you get a feel for the engine, drivetrain, and aesthetic issues you'll need concern yourself with if you want your car to be in good working condition and to be happy with the car. This thread by Noize was a great starting point for me https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ssues-etc.html.

I'd also recommend test driving the car, twice. During my first test drive, I was over excited and didn't pay attention to anything that I might dislike after purchasing the vehicle, but on the second test drive I paid more attention to the handling (which we all know is awesome), working the tranny, noise levels, etc, and then made a decision on whether to buy.

Hopefully I don't sound like a parent here - I just think that the X is honestly not for everyone, and with you seemingly enjoying your Nissan up to this point, it would be a shame for you to move into a car you're going to regret buying before your first oil change because you hadn't exploited the great EvoM forum

Best of luck
Thanks, I'll have to do my research.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 12:33 PM
Evolving Member

I did kinda a similar swap going from a 03 S2000 to Evo X. Yes, it's much easier to have both parents with cars w/ backseats although my wife and I used to just trade off when need be.

An Evo was the closest 4 door sedan that retained a pure sports car feel that I could find within my budget and still be a reliable DD. Getting big hp numbers and lower lap times were nowhere near a priority compared to driving enjoyment for me. It took me a long while to really warm up to the X. I had become a sports car purist(snob) and even with the AWD handling and added torque of the X, it still felt like a compromise. The weight and size seemed huge to me initially. Sure it's got some awesome performance but when I'm sitting at a light and glance around the interior...good grief I traded a sportscar for an econobox!

I've had my X for almost 2 yrs and while its not my favorite car I've ever owned, it's a blast when driven hard and has been dead reliable. It's just a different type of vehicle and taken on its own terms, extremely good at its intended purpose. Right now there's no other car that I would rather have that meets my criterior. Good luck, sounds like you're making an informed decision.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 12:50 PM
Evolving Member

Doble check the insurance.
Evos are top one with the STIs in insurance prices.
pluss if you trade your car you migh loose some money too
Old Nov 11, 2010, 12:52 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
I went from a 350Z to and IS350 (for about 6 months) to an EvoX. the only things I miss about my z is low rpm cruising on the highway (but still has enough power to pass easily) and an *** out burnout coming out of a turn every once in a while... and so far i've been getting kinda crappy gas mileage, got 23-24 in the Z, get 18-20 in the Evo
Old Nov 11, 2010, 01:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
do it! evo is pretty practical for more people in the car but the trunk is just small.
but then again, evo is fun to drive!
Old Nov 11, 2010, 03:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by twistyking
I did kinda a similar swap going from a 03 S2000 to Evo X. Yes, it's much easier to have both parents with cars w/ backseats although my wife and I used to just trade off when need be.

An Evo was the closest 4 door sedan that retained a pure sports car feel that I could find within my budget and still be a reliable DD. Getting big hp numbers and lower lap times were nowhere near a priority compared to driving enjoyment for me. It took me a long while to really warm up to the X. I had become a sports car purist(snob) and even with the AWD handling and added torque of the X, it still felt like a compromise. The weight and size seemed huge to me initially. Sure it's got some awesome performance but when I'm sitting at a light and glance around the interior...good grief I traded a sportscar for an econobox!

I've had my X for almost 2 yrs and while its not my favorite car I've ever owned, it's a blast when driven hard and has been dead reliable. It's just a different type of vehicle and taken on its own terms, extremely good at its intended purpose. Right now there's no other car that I would rather have that meets my criterior. Good luck, sounds like you're making an informed decision.
Real sports cars usually do have a ****ty interior have you ever seen the mclaren interior? Lotus? Ferrari F40?
Old Nov 11, 2010, 05:10 PM

I've posted a few times about this. I went from a 370z with the sport package to my X GSR with SSS. The Z was alot of fun, but there were so many little things i didn't like about it. The grip from RWD to the grip in my AWD is night and day. I can take turns much tighter in the X. I got my car stock tuned and it outperforms the Z in every aspect. The interior, though much improved from the 350 to 370, is still not as good as the X. The Evo's sound system is better, the Recaro seats hug you better, and it just feels better put together, though i haven't had any rattling problems like some others complain about. The blind spots in the Z were so annoying that i had to get convex mirrors put on the side mirrors, the X is so much better about blind spots. I got way too many racer boys messing with me in my bright yellow Z and no one really tries to mess with me in my X. Most importantly i can give rides to my friends or family in the Evo compared to the Z. The only negative was my insurance slightly went up about 50 dollars over 6 months which is practically nothing. I have no regrets whatsoever going from the Z to the X and truly think i have the better car in every way.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 05:27 PM
Evolving Member

I think it's a good move. The performance is there as well as the practicality. You wont miss your 370z once you take your first corner at higher speeds!

Like you mentionned, for very little money, you can get sizeable gains in the Evo and thats when you see a nigth and day difference and fall in love with the car.

Best of luck and congratulation to you and your wife

Quick Reply: 370Z to Evo X.....Anyone??