Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

New Evo Break In

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2010, 03:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Evo Break In

Question for you guys. Im deployed right now but will be buying an Evo X when I get back. My question is should I wait to get home to buy my Evo or buy it at my parents house and drive it back home. I have heard that when you buy a new car that its not a good idea to just drive it on the highway unless you are varying your speed. Also its a good 500 mile drive.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 03:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by awdturboscott
Question for you guys. Im deployed right now but will be buying an Evo X when I get back. My question is should I wait to get home to buy my Evo or buy it at my parents house and drive it back home. I have heard that when you buy a new car that its not a good idea to just drive it on the highway unless you are varying your speed. Also its a good 500 mile drive.
when my mechanic i dont go to anymore said "dont go into boost for 3000km" after he built my motor, i did the opposite. Boosted 5psi right away, and within 50-100km already started boosting to 24psi.

So far got it tuned and been running amazing since day one. Its been 4000+ miles so far.

good luck with your decision ;p
Old Nov 16, 2010, 05:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
There are definitely different opinions on the proper way to break in. FWIW I have always followed the recommended break in, so for the first 1000 miles with the evo I tried to make sure I varied speed, stayed below 4K rpm, etc. I've never had an issue with following the recommended break in on any vehicle, but I've never tried a different method either.

So unless you can get a much better deal at your parents or don't have dealers near you, I'd recommend waiting until you get home.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 06:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
owner manual explains it perfectly how you have to do it.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 07:04 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
owner manual explains it perfectly how you have to do it.
you read the manual? that thing is like a thousand pages....

for what it's worth I would not buy a new car and drive it 500 miles away when you can just by the car at where you going to... new car engines are broke in, but they don't break in every part of the car.... actually the vast majority of everything on the car is not broken it,, just the engine
Old Nov 16, 2010, 08:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
per the manual if i remember correctly you dont go above 5krpm for the first 700 miles or so. on my car i didnt go above 5k rpm for the first oil change (3000 miles). i babied the hell out of it
Old Nov 16, 2010, 08:10 PM
Evolving Member

Drive it like u stole it.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 08:38 PM

Yea I keep hearing different things though. This website kinda has me by the ***** right now,

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Just makes sense for some reason. Just wish I could find hard proof that it would work and that it does actually make a difference.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by lancerarmstrong
per the manual if i remember correctly you dont go above 5krpm for the first 700 miles or so. on my car i didnt go above 5k rpm for the first oil change (3000 miles). i babied the hell out of it
I guess I'm going to end up beating the hell out of mine . I've redlined at 1,000 miles
Old Nov 16, 2010, 10:18 PM
Evolving Member

they want you not to boost for xxx miles to seat the rings.. you can seat the piston rings in less than 2 miles..

Boost away. Besides when you get a brand new car, they always have like 7 or 8 miles on them, what do you think those are? Just beating the **** out of the car.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 10:55 PM
Evolved Member

i boosted the **** out of my car while burning mad clutch (learned manual on it) and no problems other than greddy being loud in bumper to bumper and giving me a morning headache.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 07:23 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by awdturboscott
Take state highways, avoid the interstate where you can. I broke mine in with mostly 2 lane state highways, curvys and such, happy I did. The state highways have controlled intersections, so you get chances every now and then to stop, and re-accelerate back to speed, going up to 5000rpms does get boost, but keeps it mild.

While the rings seat a lot quicker now on cars than in the past, one thing that doesn't go away is the tempering of the metal. That's achieved via heat, pressure and time. Let it have that before you push the metal to the limits of the strength of materials. That's why there's still a break in period, for ALL the metal parts that take a load.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 03:34 PM

I would go ahead and get her. Never had a problem breaking in a car, I take it easy for the first few hund then let it rip.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 04:48 PM

I had a motorcycle engine builder tell me to break engines in the way you plan on using them. His logic was, if you break it in easy, when you get to hard driving, you'll be breaking it in again only at higher revs. Not sure this advice applies to our engines...maybe.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 06:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by cbr1000
you read the manual? that thing is like a thousand pages....

for what it's worth I would not buy a new car and drive it 500 miles away when you can just by the car at where you going to... new car engines are broke in, but they don't break in every part of the car.... actually the vast majority of everything on the car is not broken it,, just the engine
yes i do , what ever is my interest , i look it up in the table of content, i find it, then i read it. I do not read the parts which doesnt neccecery solve my problem or will not satisfy my curiousity.

Quick Reply: New Evo Break In