Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

taking an SRT8 (theoretical)?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2010, 05:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Since you can't realistically perform your roll-on test, perhaps the simplest solution is to find a local Evo owner near you and politely ask for a ride. If he has the basics bolt ons and a tune, that would at least give you some sensation of what a X can do versus your current ride.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 05:18 PM
Evolved Member

You need stage infinity.

Stages are for ****.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 05:48 AM

From my experience with fooling around in empty ice covered parking lots lol the evo isnt going to help you that much on the ice, in the snow yes a big difference compared to your current car, but when you hit ice in whatever vehicle your in, your usually just along for the ride. Maybe the initial take off the evo will be better, but if your taking a corner and hit some ice in either vehicle be prepared to get up on the wheel lol

Besides the ice factor, i feel the evo is a much better all around car. Yes your car right now would pull on a stock evo, but if you did what most people are suggesting by getting an intake, turbo back exhaust and either and a cobb ap or a custom tune you will most likely beat your car in a straight line. But when it comes down to cornering no matter wet or dry the evo will tear the SRT8 apart, those things push like a dump truck and you will be able to run circles around it lol. I would def try to take one for a test drive and see if this is a change you want to make. Good luck!

Last edited by turbo125; Nov 18, 2010 at 05:58 AM.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 05:58 AM
Evolved Member

You'd love the evo for sure. I love the srt8 but its just not versatile car. They are great in s. Cali or Florida but not in cold icy snowy states. Good luck deciding.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 06:15 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Way too much street racing posts in here. I'm sorry, but I had to remove them per site rules. The title kinda leans toward it, so I understand why it happened.

Before closing the thread, the answer to this is easy. Someone early on said trap speed, and that is completely right. An SRT-8 should trap 107-109mph. I would look more toward 107mph since you are at higher altitude.

This means you want an Evo that will trap at least 110mph to be able to handle the SRT-8 from a roll. Saying a stock 08 Evo traps 101mph, you'd want 100whp gains to be in the 110-111mph range. This would happen with a full exhaust, upper intercooler pipe, and a custom tune. Evos have shorter gearing, so from any rolling speed below 110, an X modded like that would whip up on a stock SRT-8. Realize that all 5 speed Evos have a pretty big gap between 4th and 5th. On the stock rev limiter, this is around 113mph. When shifting to fifth, Evos lose acceleration terribly. That and the extra shift is why all drag Evos are designed and modified to finish the race in fourth.

All this is theoretical, and going that fast on the street would of course be bad. If you get the car, have fun with it. In my opinion, it is a massive upgrade in every way except stock acceleration, which you now know how to fix.