Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

EVO X Impressions - From Cayman Owner

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2010, 03:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EVO X Impressions - From Cayman Owner

I am not a frequent visitor here, as I own a Porsche Cayman S (purchased used), not an EVO X. But, the EVO was a car I seriously considered and did test drive it. I thought I would post some observations that I made between the two cars.

First off, the X thoroughly impressed me. Just walking up to it, I loved the front end look. Opening the door and seeing the Recaro seats was another welcome sight, made better by actually sitting in them. After loading loading three people into the base EVO, the test drive was on. I had heard that the X was neutered a bit compared to the IX, but I found it plenty exciting, with a notable turbo rush (backing off to preserve new engine), excellent shifting 5 speed gearbox, very good handling, and a surprisingly good ride. Will speak to the brakes later.

The EVO engine while not lively at low revs is not completely dead. The Cayman is stronger, but with 3.4 liters, and a lot less weight (3000 lbs), it should be. The EVO engine also surprised me with how smooth it is, not expected with an in-line 4. The EVO motor begins to show signs of the turbo a bit shy of 3000 revs, and then begins to pull hard. I backed off to preserve the new engine. The Cayman feels similar, where it comes on the cam quite noticeably at 4200 revs. This eagerness to run hard, in both cars, is quite entertaining. I like the flat six engine noise in the Cayman better, a good thing, because there is plenty of it (noise), with the Cayman generating quite the howl at higher revs. I would say the EVO gearbox is more precise and accurate. Both are good. Interestingly, the base Cayman (2.7 liter) has a 5 speed, and it is superior in feel to the Cayman S 6 speed. None are as good as the rifle bolt like shifter in my daughter’s 2004 Ralliart.

Perhaps because of the newness of the EVO, it could not match the brakes of the Cayman. Hard to imagine better brakes than the Cayman's, stopping so hard you would think the paint is going to slide off the hood. I test drove a brand new Cayman once, and its brakes were also weak, so expect this was the case with the EVO as well.

The EVO handled well. I tossed it around a bit, and it remained quite composed and able. IMHO, I think the Cayman does better. The steering feels more accurate with immediate and linear. It also feels lighter on its feet but still feels very grounded to the pavement like the EVO. I got the sense that the EVO takes longer to take a set when making directional changes. The Cayman feels more immediate, with less wasted motion. Perhaps due to the light front (46% of weight), directional changes are very quick in the Cayman. This is my feeling at normal speed. Track results show these cars very evenly matched, but during normal driving, the Cayman feels more precise, accurate, smooth, and agile. I think the EVO’s taller stance, engine mass up front, and slightly smaller tires may conspire to make it somewhat less crisp and precise in normal driving. Yet for some reason, I think I may be more comfortable pushing the EVO hard than the Cayman. Maybe I am used to front engine cars, or…? (previous car was a 1998 BMW E36 M3 sedan). On the rare occasion I have done so, the Cayman seems to work better the harder you push it. I expect the EVO is no different.

The EVO rode very well in my opinion. It surprised me. The Cayman can not match it. My Cayman has 35 series tires on 19 wheels, and does not have the optional adjustable suspension. The ride, compared to the EVO X is much stiffer. The Cayman ride is so severe that I may have to put 18" wheels on it, or even consider another car. The roads I typically navigate ARE quite bad unfortunately, so not all the Cayman’s fault. On smoother roads, it would be fine. But San Francisco bay area roads are the second worst in the country, and the roads I drive seem to be worst of those. The Cayman constantly reminds you of that. I would certainly relish the relatively plush ride of the EVO X!

I prefer the excellent Recaro seats in the EVO to the very good standard Porsche seats. In a long sitting, I might think different. The view outside is better in the EVO, no surprise given the body style of each. Nor is it any surprise that the EVO can not match the interior of the Cayman, made even more evident with the full leather interior option in my car. Comparison of the carpeting, headliner, etc., make this quite evident. Nor does the EVO feel as refined and carefully constructed. The Cayman feels much more expensive while driving and sitting in it. All expected given the huge price differential! I personally would never pay that cost difference. So how did I end up with the Cayman? It was either a 2-1/2 year old used Cayman S with 7500 miles, in mint condition that was $71,400 new, or, a lightly optioned new EVO X MR for about the same money.

After living with the Cayman for nine months, I have found it to be an exceptional car. There is no mistaking the precision steering, slot car like handling, balance, stupendous brakes, high grip, power, and speed (171 mph actual). It goes about its business with a disarming calm and competence. The Cayman has an overall level of quality, materials, build construction, precision, and refinement that the EVO does not match…in my opinion. The EVO focuses most of its engineering efforts under the hood, and there, it delivers. I felt the Cayman was a bit more surgical and precise in performance, but also found the EVO offered something which is central to performance cars. The car to me, feels like it is an eager partner. While the Cayman is a calm, cool, collected car, the EVO comes across more as an unabashed in-your-face performance car, wanting to mix it up and have fun. Imagine a puppy that wants to get out and play. The menacing front end look, turbo engine, and racy seats all conspire to sort of make me want to do things the police would rather not see. The Cayman rather seems above all that, not withstanding the fact that many people DO track the Cayman.

All said and done, I very much like the Cayman, only wishing our roads were smoother. But, I would not be able to wipe the smile off my face if I had an EVO X in my garage. And this from a 57 year old who still wants to get out and play.

You guys have a great car. Have fun.

- Phil
Old Dec 1, 2010, 03:56 PM
Evolved Member

Thank you for the lengthly review! To be frank, judging from your experience with the cayman s, the evo stacks upv pretty darn well! Especially in terms of driver dynamics, as some may argue that cayman s is a better drive than that of a 911 turbo. Not taking anything from the cayman, but it is built upon a more advantageous platform than the Evo, mid engine rwd, imo, is a superior chassis setup than front engine AWD, when it comes to driver dynamics. The Cayman S, offers a lot for the money you would pay, yes even new and being 57, I think you made the right choice!
Old Dec 1, 2010, 04:00 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
I'm a bit surprised that the evo rides better than the cayman... but I hear you on the roads in SF. I took a road trip down there on my lowered 350z a few years ago, that thing really brings out all the bumps. I also went down on my is350 a year later and all of the sudden it wasn't so bad... but still some of the crappiest roads i've been on...

Thanks for the review
Old Dec 1, 2010, 04:35 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Really enjoyed reading your comments. Thank you for taking the time.

Last edited by FJF; Dec 1, 2010 at 04:39 PM. Reason: typo
Old Dec 1, 2010, 04:37 PM
Evolving Member

for a second there i thought you meant Cayman Islands. I was thinking i didn't see any Evo X's at the port or being driven around.

Great review all the same
Old Dec 1, 2010, 04:43 PM
Evolved Member

Solution to your problems: DD the porsche, track the evo
Old Dec 1, 2010, 05:21 PM
Evolving Member

Great write up. One of my buddies has a Cayman S and he would definitely echo everything you have mentioned.

I'd love to see your write up from a decently modified/tuned Evo, as the difference is pretty staggering (and surprisingly affordable). But of course, not all of us have the mod bug and there is something to be said for having a warranty!
Old Dec 1, 2010, 10:35 PM

Both cars surprised me with the ride. The EVO being better than expected, and the Cayman worse than I anticipated. On smoother roads, even ones that are fairly normal, the Cayman is OK. But a lot of the surfaces are stunningly bad, especially closer to my work.

- Phil

Originally Posted by warmmilk
I'm a bit surprised that the evo rides better than the cayman... but I hear you on the roads in SF. I took a road trip down there on my lowered 350z a few years ago, that thing really brings out all the bumps. I also went down on my is350 a year later and all of the sudden it wasn't so bad... but still some of the crappiest roads i've been on...

Thanks for the review
Old Dec 1, 2010, 10:38 PM

I am almost afraid to even sample a well tuned EVO. It may tug at my wallet to an uncomfortable degree.

- Phil

Originally Posted by supergengo
I'd love to see your write up from a decently modified/tuned Evo, as the difference is pretty staggering (and surprisingly affordable). But of course, not all of us have the mod bug and there is something to be said for having a warranty!
Old Dec 1, 2010, 10:50 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
if you think the gearbox on the x is anything to write home about...I'd hate to shift a cayman YIKES
Old Dec 2, 2010, 06:39 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Coming from a Cayman S owner, this is no small praise.
I've not had the opportunity to drive one, but heard they are awesome.

I have to agree with you on the seats. My lower back tends to get unhappy in many car seats, even in E90 BMW Sport package seats, I'll feel fatigue after a few hours. I drove my X cross country and after 19 hours straight in the seats (stopping for restroom and sleeping) for two days, it was comfortable still. Best stock seats ever, IMO.

Thank you for your review, I enjoyed it.
Old Dec 2, 2010, 07:04 AM
Evolved Member

A very articulate review. I imagine you with a British accent.

If you put 18" wheels on the Porsche then it may reduce the suspension so that it feels like the Evo. Supple yet responsive is a suspension holy grail. There are a couple coilover solutions for the Evo that straddle that line.

Modified Evos can be almost anything that you want them to be and for the cost of a used one (to make it comparable to your Porsche purchase) + $10k in upgrades and it would be another animal altogether. The catch is that you have to live with a unique vehicle that has both no warranty and no resale value. That isn't a wise decision on financial grounds. Some of us do it anyway.
Old Dec 2, 2010, 07:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by mlomker
That isn't a wise decision on financial grounds. Some of us do it anyway.
Very true.
Old Dec 2, 2010, 07:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
great write up. Always nice to hear an honest comparison
Old Dec 2, 2010, 08:58 AM
Evolving Member

Are these impressions/comparisons of an Evo X with four people versus a Cayman with one?

Quick Reply: EVO X Impressions - From Cayman Owner