Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Thinking about trading for an X ?'s

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2010, 03:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking about trading for an X ?'s

Ok, first post here. I've been reading on here for the past two days trying to find the answers to all of my questions. But, I'm still going to ask the obvious questions that come along with most first posters like myself.

Little background on myself: I currently drive an Infiniti G35x sedan and am looking at the X because of the same AWD platform and easy mods that accommodates it. I also have a 2010 GTR that is driven quite often, about 7-9k miles/yr. I'm planning on trading the G35x in on an X if I choose this car because it is reaching the 90k mile marker.

I would like the X to be a fast fun car that it is meant to be obviously! So, here are the questions about how to make it such a car.

1. From what I've gathered from this forum is that down pipe, full exhaust, upper IC pipe, boost controller, maybe injectors, and tune (thinking cobb AP since am familiar with it from GTR community) will get me to the 340-360 awhp. Am I on the right track here?

2. I like the sound of BOVs and dont get to hear one with the GTR so figured that if I have two turbo cars that I should atleast add one to this car. Are there any that are better/more prefered for the GSR? Have looked at a few of them and seem to cost around 275-400 range.

3. About how much is involved in changing out the turbo in this car? Like is it going to be a large labor expense that I shouldnt consider unless wanting to go ahead and upgrade some other motor parts at same time. Looked at the Red turbo and seemed rather nice for the price.

4. And this question may be better in another section but going to ask anyway. Has anyone been able to get heated seats from the Canada model and put them on the USD?

Am wanting this car to have the ability to run in the high 11's/ low 12's but it will probably never reach the track. Guess I'm wanting it to come close to the GTR but I know it isnt going to match the launch which I am comfortable with.

Thanks all!

Last edited by R35company; Dec 3, 2010 at 03:14 PM.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 03:26 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by R35company
Ok, first post here. I've been reading on here for the past two days trying to find the answers to all of my questions. But, I'm still going to ask the obvious questions that come along with most first posters like myself.

Little background on myself: I currently drive an Infiniti G35x sedan and am looking at the X because of the same AWD platform and easy mods that accommodates it. I also have a 2010 GTR that is driven quite often, about 7-9k miles/yr. I'm planning on trading the G35x in on an X if I choose this car because it is reaching the 90k mile marker.

I would like the X to be a fast fun car that it is meant to be obviously! So, here are the questions about how to make it such a car.

1. From what I've gathered from this forum is that down pipe, full exhaust, upper IC pipe, boost controller, maybe injectors, and tune (thinking cobb AP since am familiar with it from GTR community) will get me to the 340-360 awhp. Am I on the right track here?

2. I like the sound of BOVs and dont get to hear one with the GTR so figured that if I have two turbo cars that I should atleast add one to this car. Are there any that are better/more prefered for the GSR? Have looked at a few of them and seem to cost around 275-400 range.

3. About how much is involved in changing out the turbo in this car? Like is it going to be a large labor expense that I shouldnt consider unless wanting to go ahead and upgrade some other motor parts at same time. Looked at the Red turbo and seemed rather nice for the price.

4. And this question may be better in another section but going to ask anyway. Has anyone been able to get heated seats from the Canada model and put them on the USD?

Am wanting this car to have the ability to run in the high 11's/ low 12's but it will probably never reach the track. Guess I'm wanting it to come close to the GTR but I know it isnt going to match the launch which I am comfortable with.

Thanks all!
I am by no means an expert, as I am not new to turbo cars, but new to evos. I will try to answer your questions since so many helpful people did so for me.

1.) with those mods, minus the boost controller, go for a 3-port and control the boost with the ecu instead.. you should be in those numbers depending on the tuner of course.

2.) If you like the sound of a BOV, definitely invest in the ETS Intake. It's probably the same for all intakes, but I highly recommend the ETS piece, great customer service and great fitment and high quality parts. Removal of that stock airbox, makes the turbo spool and diverter valve MUCH louder. Actually kind of louder then I wanted, when no-car-knowledge people ride in my car, they think I have some kind of leak The stock unit is actually very strong and good from what I understand.

3.) I have heard that replacing the downpipe is hard, but dropping the turbo itself is not a problem. Can't quote you prices on the labor, sorry.

4.) There was somebody seeking this answer in the How-To section not too long ago and they posted a link. Might want to give that a try.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 06:34 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
you're on the right track for 350ish whp

the best thing you can do for the BOV sound you are looking for is an open filter intake with a hard pipe...evo's do not respond well to VTA bov's...however, with an intake the stock diverter will really liven up

the downpipe is probably the most difficult part to install on this car

another thing you need to consider if you opt to go with a larger turbo is clutch life...the clutch is not known for it's longevity at elevated power levels

I would really tell you to look into a evo viii/ix but I realize you want to be able to trade your existing vehicle in which negates that plan...the viii/ix platform is better suited for your goals imo
Old Dec 4, 2010, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by chaotichoax
you're on the right track for 350ish whp

the best thing you can do for the BOV sound you are looking for is an open filter intake with a hard pipe...evo's do not respond well to VTA bov's...however, with an intake the stock diverter will really liven up

the downpipe is probably the most difficult part to install on this car

another thing you need to consider if you opt to go with a larger turbo is clutch life...the clutch is not known for it's longevity at elevated power levels

I would really tell you to look into a evo viii/ix but I realize you want to be able to trade your existing vehicle in which negates that plan...the viii/ix platform is better suited for your goals imo
What is the complications of the BOVs? And if the down pipe is the most difficult mod then I assume you dont have to pull the motor for an upgraded turbo?

Thanks
Old Dec 4, 2010, 12:17 AM
Evolved Member

What is the complications of the BOVs? And if the down pipe is the most difficult mod then I assume you dont have to pull the motor for an upgraded turbo?

Thanks
Not THAT difficult. Do the 02 down pipe with the turbo upgrade!
Old Dec 4, 2010, 12:53 AM

So do you really not have to pull the engine when replacing the turbo?
Old Dec 4, 2010, 09:09 AM
Evolving Member

I'm not sure where that came from at all, but no the engine does not need to be pulled. Downpipe would be a good mod to do at the same time as the turbo since the downpipe back needs to be removed to do the turbo. As for heated seats, there are companies that can install new upholstery with heated seats for like $1600 (I think their name is Roadwire). All seats redone, armrest and door cards. I was quoted 1600 for leather w/ alcantara inserts and embroidery and both front seats heated. That way you can kind of customize it and they are nice interiors, Mitsubishi authorized, the dealers send their cars to have these installed when selling cars.
Old Dec 4, 2010, 10:43 AM

I think you've got this idea from when GTr's do turbo upgrades. Their whole drivetrain basically has to be pulled out lol while the evo is just take stock turbo off and replace it with the new one. Welcome to the world of Mitsubishi man the world of simple upgrades.
Old Dec 4, 2010, 11:26 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah that's what happens when you don't stuff an oversized engine in a undersized area. Mitsu definitely has their drivetrain engineering down pat.
Old Dec 4, 2010, 11:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
If you are trading for a new 2011 you are aware that they come with a leather package now rite? I believe they come heated tho I'm not 100% positive. Anyway here are my suggestions..

1. I wouldn't get a boost controller. Go with a 3 port.
2. No the engine doesn't need to be pulled for anything. The turbo isn't even THAT hard to install.
3. Get an intake instead of a BOV to make sure you don't run into issues down the road.
4. I would look into suspension and wheels upgrades as well.
Old Dec 4, 2010, 12:01 PM

Thanks everyone. Yeah pulling the engine to replace the turbo on my GTR is a must and on some other cars as well. Thats why I asked, Ive never even seen under the hood of an Evo in person.

Yeah I was planning on getting the entire interior redone. I'm trading for a 2008 with 28k miles hopefuly.
Old Dec 4, 2010, 12:30 PM

I live in Kentucky but one of my best friends that I grew up with moved to Texas last year and is now a manager of a Mitsu car dealership. He knows his cars but isnt much on modding them. The car in question is a 2008 white GSR and the owner claims that it has 400 hp. I dont know if this is AWHP or what. My friend says it is chipped but honestly he wouldnt know the difference in any ECU mod. I am curious as to what has been done to this car but unfortunatley I'll just have to wait and see if the deal goes thru.

I know the spoiler has been removed and the trunk was painted when the previous owner did that. I dont know if he was a member of any of these forums either. This is in the Austin area if that rings any bells. The previous owner just traded it in a few days ago.
Old Dec 4, 2010, 12:49 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
to have 400 Whp the car would need a larger turbo and full bolt on's OR bolt on's plus e85

if we are talking crank hp that's different of course

I WOULD NEVER buy a modded evo sight unseen/un-driven

you are just asking for trouble
Old Dec 4, 2010, 01:45 PM

Oh no, I'm not going to buy it without chiecking it out first. I am sure its crank horsepower but just saying. And I wouldnt be surprised if it doesnt have that. I'm going to check it out and as long as the warranty and car are good then I'll probably move forward. 400 crank horsepower isnt much in mods at all. And if that is the case then I'm sure there are a few smaller mods that the dealer hasnt seen yet.
Old Dec 4, 2010, 03:22 PM

Oh no, I'm not going to buy it without chiecking it out first. I am sure its crank horsepower but just saying. And I wouldnt be surprised if it doesnt have that. I'm going to check it out and as long as the warranty and car are good then I'll probably move forward. 400 crank horsepower isnt much in mods at all. And if that is the case then I'm sure there are a few smaller mods that the dealer hasnt seen yet.
Sorry to tell you man but Mistu isn't very well known for upholding their warranty on anything even with something just as simple as an intake. Thats the only major problem with Mitsubishi that i find but hell who leaves these things stock anyway

Quick Reply: Thinking about trading for an X ?'s