Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

warm up?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2010, 09:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone check this new FORD F150 Engine. 3.5 V6 Twin Turbo

Stress tested for 150k miles, hot/cold/hot/cold bunch of time. like the engine was literally frozen with ice and then cranked, then frozen, then cranked again.

then used to haul lumber, then dragged race, then towed two nascar car around the ring for 24 hrs and still kept on ticking.

That was more abuse on the engine then what our evos or any car ever see...

I used to hop in my evo and go until I went bigger turbo. Now I warm up a good minute or two and then go slowly. I dont full boost until maybe 10-15 min into the drive though. But watching this ford engine has me amazed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9O7I4...layer_embedded
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0yTT...eature=channel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxN3J...eature=channel
Old Dec 6, 2010, 09:56 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have always warmed my cars up for 5 min no matter what time of year it is, especially with my DSM's and current EVO. It's a turbo car and that oil needs to be warm before you just take off and drive. Whether you are hitting boost or not you are still making the turbo spool.
Maybe I'm too **** but DSM's and EVO's alike do not run well when cold. They almost feel like an old carburated(spelling?) engine...
And the drivetrain is always stiff in colder temps so I take it REAL easy in the winter even after the car has warmed up for 5 min. Feels like the trans is about to break!
Old Dec 6, 2010, 10:45 AM

yah i turn on the car and let it go to a few bars, and while driving dont pass 3k
and then when the temp hits the middle of the bar and its all warmed up then
i take it past 3k
Old Dec 6, 2010, 10:55 AM
Evolving Member

I usually wait about 30 seconds. Any more is kind of pointless. Within a mile or two down the road I already have warm air blowing. This is just within the last week also, where temps have been around the 10-20º here in Minnesota.

LOL @ people who are saying warming the car up will do more harm than good. What harm will it do? Please explain this?
Old Dec 6, 2010, 12:27 PM
Evolving Member

I have been waiting for atleast a minute or for the idle to come down the past couple weeks.

The car runs like such *** when its cold, the trans is clunky and I have to double clutch to put it in 2nd without that nice grind. Vin Diesel would be proud. It's depressing driving it like that, so I let it warm up, then take off.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 01:19 PM

If u live in warm state such as california, i think minute or two is sufficient as long as u r light on the throttle until engine & tran fully warm up.