Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

A tank in the snow

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2010, 06:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm also running a set of wintersport 3D on my car since last winter and it feels like I've wasted money on them just because it hasn't snowed enough here in Vancouver! Of the days that it did snow, I never got stuck.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 06:27 PM
Evolving Member

The best car (stock) I ever drove in the snow so far. Love my tires and I love the snow.
The only real problem is the stopping distance. Traction to launch is soooo good, you don't realize how fast you are going until you need to stop.

Climbing steep grades in the snow with SNOW mode on is nice. Need to figure out how to reduce boost punch so that I can use all the rev range without tarction control. with it off, once you boost, you need to shift RTFN.

anyways still having fun!

Need more snow!!
Old Dec 13, 2010, 08:30 PM

My girlfriend is currently in London as well and I am so jealous of all the snow they're getting! she sent me pics of the huge snow storms you guys had a few days ago, you're quite lucky!
Old Dec 13, 2010, 08:50 PM

we got about 3 inches here in indy last night and i was going to take the evo out, it was...exciting. i turned around and got my jeep to go play with. i was too tempted to slide everywhere and didnt want to wreck a car i just bought 3 days ago. lol
Old Dec 13, 2010, 09:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if it were 10 degrees colder here on average we'd have snow all year 'round. unluckily it usually sits at 40F all year. two years ago; however, we got 2.5 feet of it (when i didn't have an evo x yet)!!! i wish it was like that every year!!
Old Dec 14, 2010, 09:48 PM

Evo and snow is just plain amazing. When ever it snows its me and the plow trucks out there ripping around
Old Dec 15, 2010, 02:30 PM

i just purchased some blizzak ws60 for my x going to be putting them on friday. my x is only week old. had to drive it in the little bit a snow we got here in chicago. its sucks to stop for sure with the stock advans on there. i cant wait to get these snows on. i hope they are good tire!
Old Dec 15, 2010, 02:39 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by rjkz28
i just purchased some blizzak ws60 for my x going to be putting them on friday. my x is only week old. had to drive it in the little bit a snow we got here in chicago. its sucks to stop for sure with the stock advans on there. i cant wait to get these snows on. i hope they are good tire!
They should be fantastic, I have wintersports, but they are basically the same idea, just different brand. In the snow I am like and
Old Dec 15, 2010, 03:04 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
I run summer tires (Star Specs right now), so I don't drive my car the 3-4 days a year it snows here, just commute with the wife. It works, since she won't drive in the snow anyway.

But I admit picking up some affordable rims on all seasons is very tempting. Just don't want to deal with TPMS light.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 06:07 PM
Evolving Member

That's actually pretty funny. My TPMS light is on all summer and only goes off in the winter with OE wheels...lol
Old Dec 16, 2010, 06:48 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah I've got the same issue as Noize. Advan RZs with Star Specs in the summer months with the factory TPMS in them, bought some cheap winter rims and blizzak ws60s. The TPMS light doesn't bother me.
We've only had about 5-6 inches total snow this winter so far in Pittsburgh but I'm crossing my fingers for the 2 feet we had last year!

Originally Posted by Noize
But I admit picking up some affordable rims on all seasons is very tempting.
Do yourself a favor and never buy all seasons for this car, they're junk. Get good summer rubber (your star specs are a great choice, mine will probably last another summer then I'm switching to some Nitto NT05s) and good winter rubber (blizzak, wintersport 3d, etc).

Last edited by pghdsm; Dec 16, 2010 at 06:54 AM.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 06:59 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by pghdsm
Do yourself a favor and never buy all seasons for this car, they're junk. Get good summer rubber (your star specs are a great choice, mine will probably last another summer then I'm switching to some Nitto NT05s) and good winter rubber (blizzak, wintersport 3d, etc).
This is not true. Might be for you since you are in PA, you get snow. For Noize in TN, not so much of the snow. More just cold temps.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...inter-you.html

Snows work inversely to summers. Snows in too warm of a climate will just be eaten away. For some areas an all-season for the dusting of snow, rains, cold temperatures will be more than enough.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 07:14 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SmikeEvo
This is not true. Might be for you since you are in PA, you get snow. For Noize in TN, not so much of the snow. More just cold temps.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...inter-you.html

Snows work inversely to summers. Snows in too warm of a climate will just be eaten away. For some areas an all-season for the dusting of snow, rains, cold temperatures will be more than enough.
I stand corrected, I should have marked an asterisk stating my suggestion is for cold climate areas that receive moderate amounts of precip!
Old Dec 16, 2010, 07:16 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Old Dec 16, 2010, 11:42 AM
RiG
Evolving Member

I havent drove my X in the snow yet but my Talon did amazing in the snow even with summer only tires. My friends Evo VIII with blizzaks was awesome in the snow. He could launch and it would hook pretty good. I doesnt snow often out here in CA but Im hoping for a little bit of snow so I can see how the X does.