Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

A tank in the snow

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2010, 07:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A tank in the snow

Oh boy, these Evo's are made for snow I tell ya! I am currently working in London, Ontario where we have had a few feet of snow fall in the past few days. I plowed my way out of my driveway this morning through approx. 1.5 feet of snow with no problem at all!

The best part is watching all these 2WD trucks trying to battle the snow and just spinning their tires away. Oh, and the sweet AWD drifting in the snow! I will try to get some pics/vids sometime soon with the tank in the snow!

Anyone else enjoying the snowy roads in their Evo?
Old Dec 7, 2010, 07:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
ah this brings back alot of good memories
Old Dec 7, 2010, 07:56 AM
Evolved Member

stay safe man
Old Dec 7, 2010, 08:05 AM
T6
Evolving Member

You got stock advans or snow tires? If you got the stock advans dont trust the tires that much and go crazy on em man. Be safe.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 08:08 AM
Evolving Member

<----jealous. It never snows down here....
Old Dec 7, 2010, 08:09 AM
Evolved Member

The Evo was meant to be driven on dirt/snow/ice/wet pavement, and it does an AMAZING job.

People put their evos in the garage for the winter...I put my evo on the road in the winter...just saying.

Enjoy it man and be safe! Also be sure to run at least some all seasons. Summer tires in the winter are just stupid. Yeah you will be able to move forward and drive but when you have to stop its not gonna be easy. Also keeping it straight around any bends will be tough. Its just dangerous.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 08:12 AM
Evolving Member

well, if you see one of those lighter 2wd trucks stuck in the snow, offer to pull them out.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by T6
You got stock advans or snow tires? If you got the stock advans dont trust the tires that much and go crazy on em man. Be safe.
Purchased a set of Falken Eurowinter tires to give them a shot and so far, they have been very very good to me! I have never driven a car that handles and performs so well in the snow.

The stock Advans are crap, all 4 of mine had cracks on them when I pulled them off (there is a post about this somewhere) and I am waiting to hear back from the Yokohama rep for warranty purposes.

On the highway, I def take it easy...but on side roads and other "safe" areas, I let her rip around!
Old Dec 7, 2010, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by shrtstuff89
well, if you see one of those lighter 2wd trucks stuck in the snow, offer to pull them out.
Haha my buddy said the exact same thing last night, after I passed over 15 cars in the ditch along the highway in the past two days, including jack-knifed transports, motorhomes, trucks, vans, SUV's and cars, a mixture of everything.

It is somewhat scary when a transport truck goes flying by on the highway, I don't want to risk writing off my car just to get home a few minutes faster.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 09:56 AM
Evolving Member

Drive safe mang. :]

Snow is unforgiving
Old Dec 7, 2010, 10:06 AM
Evolving Member

the majority that live and drive in canada are very competent in the snow..anyone can drive on pavement but try negotiating 3 lane highways with a foot of snow and 2 tire trails to follow london was fun was there yesterday
Old Dec 7, 2010, 10:16 AM
Evolved Member

Location: Philly, Germany, Japan, UK...South Dakota (Da Sticks).......
Still waiting for fresh snow to hit here in SD......can't wait!!! Put my snow tires back on in Sept in anticipation!!!!!
Old Dec 7, 2010, 02:25 PM

Yeah...I recently sold my 2003 evo to go to a 2010 evo. The difference is bigger than most might think! Granted, I just put on some new Yokohama W drive snowtires on it - but we had a pretty heavy snowstorm about 2 weeks ago (people were calling it a blizzard...it really wasn't tho), and I was plowing right thru the middle of it! So much fun!
Old Dec 7, 2010, 03:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
i hope this year i can make it some snow race
Old Dec 7, 2010, 06:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Have a set of Dunlop winter sport 3D on my X and absolutely love them. We don't have as much snow in Toronto (5-6 cm) for the past few days but weather forecast says it will be 15cm by Friday.

Quick Reply: A tank in the snow