Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Winter Car Washing

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2010, 02:05 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wash it at home http://www.detailedimage.com/Optimum...-P444/32oz-S1/
Old Dec 8, 2010, 11:21 PM

having a dirty white evo all winter is gonna suck...im really gonna have to figure something like this out or else its gonna get expensive
Old Dec 9, 2010, 06:44 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by iseedipp
^^^ It's arguably the best solution for winter washing. Lots of tutorials showing how to use the product effectively. ONR is the reference standard for this type of usage.

Last edited by FJF; Dec 9, 2010 at 06:56 AM. Reason: typo
Old Dec 9, 2010, 06:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I take the car to a manual bay and just rinse it off real good with the pressure washer. Doesn't make the car perfectly clean, but it gets most of the winter crap off the car
Old Dec 9, 2010, 07:08 AM

A good quality car wash should be fine... I did it a few times and the car looks fine...no scratches... salt is really bad for your car....
Siyah
Old Dec 9, 2010, 07:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i would suggest the touchless wash, does it also included underbay washing? if it does then i would definitly do that because you want to clean the salt off of the sides of the car and underneath but if you simply get a mitt and start washing it will marr the paint. I dont trust using ONR either just because to me it sounds bad to just soak the car and wipe the dirt against the paint to take it off.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 07:33 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by total0wnage
,.. but if you simply get a mitt and start washing it will marr the paint.
This is true and the reason why washing a car isn't necessarily an intuitive process. It's not like washing the dishes in the sink. I've posted a link to (excellent) detailing tutorials many times over. Folks may want to take a few minutes to review the material:

http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-det...ces-newbs.html

I dont trust using ONR either just because to me it sounds bad to just soak the car and wipe the dirt against the paint to take it off.
No offense, how much do you really know about this? ONR differs from the rest by encapsulating the dirt before removal while adding quite a bit of lubricity. It's not a just an automotive shampoo.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 07:54 AM
Evolving Member

This post is going to come in handy this winter for sure. My car has some winter salt on it now and was going to do a spray down in my garage with a high pressure water bottle.

Although if you bought your car at the dealer they will wash it for free. My dealer has a touchless and will probably be going there quit a bit this winter.

Last edited by Wrex1977; Dec 9, 2010 at 08:01 AM.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 07:55 AM

I've posted a link to (excellent) detailing tutorials many times over. Folks may want to take a few minutes to review the material:

http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-det...ces-newbs.html

Wow! Great resource. Thanks for posting that.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 08:01 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by iseedipp
i would never use that stuff, you are wasting your car with dirt on it. That has paint scratches written all over it
Old Dec 9, 2010, 08:24 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 5LEEPERISAH23I
i would never use that stuff, you are wasting your car with dirt on it. That has paint scratches written all over it
You are completely incorrect. Please familiarize yourself with the product before posing. It is a staple in every high-end detailer's arsenal. There are few products used as widely as ONR and it's that way for a reason. This being said, a product alone won't maintain a mar-free finish. This is why I link'd a series of tutorials just inches above, including some for ONR. Might be a good idea to learn something. You and your car will benefit from the process.

Last edited by FJF; Dec 9, 2010 at 08:33 AM.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 06:08 PM

upstate ny near the canadian border. saltiest of roads. large garage bay every night with center drain and plenty of air/water. nothing beats a hand/blow job
Old Dec 9, 2010, 06:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeror32
nothing beats a hand/blow job
I lol'ed
Old Dec 10, 2010, 01:37 AM
Evolving Member

who would wasing your car destroy the paint! i would hope the new evos dont have cheap paint that disolves in the cold hahah
Old Dec 10, 2010, 01:53 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by FJF
You are completely incorrect. Please familiarize yourself with the product before posing. It is a staple in every high-end detailer's arsenal. There are few products used as widely as ONR and it's that way for a reason. This being said, a product alone won't maintain a mar-free finish. This is why I link'd a series of tutorials just inches above, including some for ONR. Might be a good idea to learn something. You and your car will benefit from the process.

Originally Posted by 5LEEPERISAH23I
please get a clue and actually know what you're talking about before you post . Go post that on a detailing forum like Autotopia or autogeek, etc. etc.

Quick Reply: Winter Car Washing