Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Help me find what this part is? Smoke coming from here!!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2010, 08:39 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help me find what this part is? Smoke coming from here!!

Guys my car died for no reason yesterday. I took her out yesterday and after driving aroudn 4 miles the car started chocking and my afrs went lean while cruising on 4th gear i dropped the car to neutral and gave it a little gas to see if it was ok the car seemed normal. I stopped at a red light and is chocked again and shut off completely. I tried starting her over and over and she would not start. BTW gas tank was full.
After towing her to the shop we tried to turn her on by giving her some gas directly she turned on for about 1 min and then this little resistor thing or what ever it is started smoking and burning very hot so we turned off the car. After letting it cool down we tried again and the car did not turn on at all.

My question to you guys is what the hell is this part? it started burning up and smoking and got very very hot. Could this be the reason for my car not turning on and dyeing on me while i was driving.
Could you guys touch this part for me on your cars after about 2-3 mins of your car being turned on and let me know if its hot.

This is the metal thing, the pics are not from my car but its the same part

This pic is from my car

The shop has checked everything, fuel pump, fuel pump relay, injectors, fuel filter etc and so far everything seems fine but my car wont start. No codes BTW.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 08:46 AM
Evolved Member

That is a part of the fuel pump circuit. I think it is the resistor that makes the fuel pump run at 9-10volts at idle instead of at battery voltage.

Do you have the stock-sized 20amp fuse for your fuel pump? I should think that'd pop before you burned that resistor pack up (if there were something wrong with the current draw from your pump). I'd also try swapping the fuel pump relay once to make sure it isn't stuck.

My guess is if you hot-wired your fuel pump that the car would start and run fine. You obviously wouldn't want to leave it that way, but as a test.

Last edited by mlomker; Dec 7, 2010 at 08:51 AM.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 10:37 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mlomker
That is a part of the fuel pump circuit. I think it is the resistor that makes the fuel pump run at 9-10volts at idle instead of at battery voltage.

Do you have the stock-sized 20amp fuse for your fuel pump? I should think that'd pop before you burned that resistor pack up (if there were something wrong with the current draw from your pump). I'd also try swapping the fuel pump relay once to make sure it isn't stuck.

My guess is if you hot-wired your fuel pump that the car would start and run fine. You obviously wouldn't want to leave it that way, but as a test.
Im gonna try that next, i hope its something stupid lol. I tell you man the relay system in this car sucks major *****!! i cant believe fckin mitsu.