Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

might have to sell the GSR... opinions?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2010, 09:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another Option: Physical therapy

Ok, I saw UR condition and a number of old memories came to mind. I, to, had a shoulder impingment and went to an orthopedist who recommended surgery. Almost went down that road as U R contemplating but I give U this personel experience and advise: Reconsider another option, physiotherapy first... I did and compeletly lost all pain in my shoulder. No, I am not a real doctor but my experiences are totally consistent with this study which found poor results with this surgical procedure and recommends caution in pursuing surgery: http://www.jshoulderelbow.org/articl...071-1/abstract

Also, another reference suggests the application of physical therapy FIRST before the use of this surgery (http://books.google.com/books?id=ssX...eotomy&f=false).
Bottom Line: Before U start selling UR EVO and scheduling surgery dates, I would seriously look at UR condition through another doctor that is amenable and has experience with the use of physical therapy as a treatment for this particular condition. It is whole lot less instrusive and U will not be laid up during this therapy. Assuming U have medical insurance, UR health plan will cover all UR visits...all U need is a doctors/a GP is sufficient for a referral. Good luck...I NO U will make the right decision!

Later, Ken
Old Dec 13, 2010, 09:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Geo Metro LSi beater.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 03:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by KPerez
Ok, I saw UR condition and a number of old memories came to mind. I, to, had a shoulder impingment and went to an orthopedist who recommended surgery. Almost went down that road as U R contemplating but I give U this personel experience and advise: Reconsider another option, physiotherapy first... I did and compeletly lost all pain in my shoulder. No, I am not a real doctor but my experiences are totally consistent with this study which found poor results with this surgical procedure and recommends caution in pursuing surgery: http://www.jshoulderelbow.org/articl...071-1/abstract

Also, another reference suggests the application of physical therapy FIRST before the use of this surgery (http://books.google.com/books?id=ssX...eotomy&f=false).
Bottom Line: Before U start selling UR EVO and scheduling surgery dates, I would seriously look at UR condition through another doctor that is amenable and has experience with the use of physical therapy as a treatment for this particular condition. It is whole lot less instrusive and U will not be laid up during this therapy. Assuming U have medical insurance, UR health plan will cover all UR visits...all U need is a doctors/a GP is sufficient for a referral. Good luck...I NO U will make the right decision!

Later, Ken
My condition is that the shoulder socket was mishappen from birth... it must be fixed or it will never be normal, i've been to rehab for about 4 months which did nothing... they had me doing rotator cuff exercises and such, but there is only a small tear in the posterior deltoid. I'm very into lifting and fitness, so I must have it fixed... I can do nothing except for cardio, which .... well it sucks.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 06:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Methodical4u
My condition is that the shoulder socket was mishappen from birth... it must be fixed or it will never be normal, i've been to rehab for about 4 months which did nothing... they had me doing rotator cuff exercises and such, but there is only a small tear in the posterior deltoid. I'm very into lifting and fitness, so I must have it fixed... I can do nothing except for cardio, which .... well it sucks.
Well I hear U...if it has to be,it has to be...might want to talk to rehab people and ask the extent to which U can move this shoulder as a function of the operation date...guranteed they R going to have exercises/therapy torotate arm in that socket as much as possible...why not ask about range of motion for shifting...maybe a couple of weeks rather than months to make such moves...pt. is can't see U turn UR EVO in for perhaps a couple of weeks. Good luck! In the long haul this will be a short term memory.

Later, Ken
Old Dec 14, 2010, 10:59 AM
Evolving Member

I broke my right arm a few years ago and had a cast from my hand to my shoulder. I shifted left handed and once my arm felt better used the hard part of the cast. Are you going to have a cast?
Old Dec 14, 2010, 11:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Methodical4u
I guess I would rather not spend money on something unless it's for the final price of the car... not saying it'a a bad idea... just that's the way I look at things.
And you think throwing the money you've invested in this car is a wiser decision?

Dude, just swap cars temporarily with a family member, friend, etc.

Just reflash it with a 5k rev limit and 15psi of boost Problem solved.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 11:22 AM
Evolved Member

been in more slings, casts, shoulder contrapments that I care to remeber. I have never had an auto car. Had casts on my left foot, boots etc. Give it some time, then shift with your left hand. Will help you drive slow, bc any kind of driving with only one arm isnt ideal. I wouldnt sell the evo and then get something you are compromising and justifying.

i have been down that road numerous times, and each time I think about another car I think about how much I would miss the evo. Plus, the bimmer in auto wouldnt be a whole ton of fun either. w/e you decide to do, good luck and get healthy.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 11:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I think there is a bigger issue here.....

If you no longer want the car, just say that! Don't blame your shoulder. LOL
Old Dec 14, 2010, 04:41 PM
Evolving Member

You will deffinately take a huge financial hit on the evo get ready for a turn around loss of 10k if you plan on buying another new car. If you paid 33k w/ tax, get 25k in trade, and buy new at 35k w/tax. For example. Not a loss I would be willing to take. That sounds more painful than the surgery. Best of luck, I would try to borrow a relatives car or something. Get a great rate on a long term rental (600/m for 2-4 mo), or buy a beater for 1000 plus tax title and licence. Not worth the financial loss on the evo, just my opinion.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 08:08 AM
Evolved Member

Go to the Chiropractor. I fix shoulders all the time. Unless something is completely torn you may not need surgery. Posterior subluxation or instability can often times be helped. If it doesn't help, you still get the surgery. Make a road trip to Cleveland.

Last edited by dboz; Dec 15, 2010 at 08:13 AM.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 08:31 AM
Evolving Member

i was thiking the same thing ... balance things out .. did u ever thought of any other brands .. lets say lexus is .. theyre kinda in the same level with bmw 3series ..

this luxury cars have nice interior thats for sure and mch better mileage ..
Old Dec 16, 2010, 11:45 AM
RiG
Evolving Member

A beater is good for DD duty anyway, it makes you appreciate your Evo even more when you do drive it and it feels fast again. ha. Plus the beater could get better MPG. I love having more then 1 car to drive.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 09:01 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dboz
Go to the Chiropractor. I fix shoulders all the time. Unless something is completely torn you may not need surgery. Posterior subluxation or instability can often times be helped. If it doesn't help, you still get the surgery. Make a road trip to Cleveland.
+1...by the way, what abnormality/ malformation did your physician say that you have in the shoulder? It would be sad to get rid of an Evo X...unless you are interested in vehicles that carry more of the "bling" phenomenon. Dependent on your actual condition, if truly your shoulder can undergo rehab without creating damage in the girdle itself, utilize all avenues before undergoing knife and/ or laser. Keep the car and use the vehicle as one of the modes of rehab...just make sure that your shifter does not become too notchy i.e. upgrade shifter, bushings, cable, tranny oil, as necessary. If you consider buying something else, consider cheap and temporary. If you are going for the bling, you may bring up financial situations that you may not want to deal with in combination to the shoulder situation. If you let the Evo X go, the last thing you need is seller's remorse. Good luck with your decision(s).
Old Dec 17, 2010, 05:11 AM
Evolved Member

If you gotta switch for a few months, why not buy a beater. I'd also suggest a used Subaru Legacy GT as that beater. Then when you are heeled your Evo is still there.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 05:23 AM

I also vote for the Audi A4 w/ the new 2.0t quattro in premium-plus and 8 speed tranny, coming in at $37,500. Very modifiable and very nice inside and out.

Quick Reply: might have to sell the GSR... opinions?