Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

might have to sell the GSR... opinions?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2010, 12:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
might have to sell the GSR... opinions?

I have shoulder surgery coming up and won't be able to shift gears for about 4-6 months. My Gf said she has no problem taking me wherever I need to go, but I just feel like it might be time for me to get an auto. I love the feeling of shifting, but i'm not going to go without driving for that long either. My options so far are...

Evo X MR (the AWD is hard to get away from) but power outputs scare me for this car.... plus price for a junk interior doesn't attract me much either.

BMW 335d... no it's not AWD and it's a bit slower, but the torque of that monster and the mileage make it attractive to me... plus it's a nice looking car.... insurance about 25-30.00 lower a month. How would this car do with a dedicated snow tire if I needed it for winter driving?

BMW 335xi, for obvious reasons I would look at this car, expensive like the 335d, but mileage doesn't really help me justify this car much.

open to any other suggestions, ideas, etc.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 12:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Infiniti G37X.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 12:56 PM
Evolving Member

why not just get a beater for now and then wait till you can shift.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 01:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Snake bite
why not just get a beater for now and then wait till you can shift.
I guess I would rather not spend money on something unless it's for the final price of the car... not saying it'a a bad idea... just that's the way I look at things.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 01:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dboz
Infiniti G37X.
Very nice cars, but for some reason, I just don't like the look of them.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 01:21 PM
T6
Evolving Member

yea, was gonna say, wait till you are able to shift. The thing is that you are having shoulder surgery, you will need to use your shoulder whether you shift or not. If you get SST you wont use it as much as you would with shifting. Dont waste the money to get a car for a few months and keep the evo. But if you main thing is to replace the evo, go for it. Bmw always has a great comfort with performance attached to it. If i had to replace my evo I would go with a bmw or an audi, I just love german engineering. A buddy of mine had an 01 m3 gtr and that thing was quite the ride. As for insurance, dont know how YOU, personally would have discounts via insurance or not but evo insurance will very much likely to be higher than any car you replace to lol.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 01:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by T6
yea, was gonna say, wait till you are able to shift. The thing is that you are having shoulder surgery, you will need to use your shoulder whether you shift or not. If you get SST you wont use it as much as you would with shifting. Dont waste the money to get a car for a few months and keep the evo. But if you main thing is to replace the evo, go for it. Bmw always has a great comfort with performance attached to it. If i had to replace my evo I would go with a bmw or an audi, I just love german engineering. A buddy of mine had an 01 m3 gtr and that thing was quite the ride. As for insurance, dont know how YOU, personally would have discounts via insurance or not but evo insurance will very much likely to be higher than any car you replace to lol.
when I first got the Evo it was 65 a month... then there was an insurance hike that apparently "all" Evo's got... which i'm not to sure about and I now pay 85 a month, but the 335d even with the higher cost was back down to 63 a month.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 01:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
the stiff steering of the bmw is going to be just as contraindicative as shifting a shifter if not more. you utilize much more range of motion in your shoulders to steer than you do shift.

just a thought.

where are you getting your surgery btw?
Old Dec 12, 2010, 01:51 PM
Evolving Member

I think you should take a look at what you have paid for the car vs what you can get for it. Depreciation is the highest in the first 3 years of new car ownership. If you don't have to worry about safety/etest like we do in Canada, why not get a beater pickup/car if its only for 6 months? paying 1k for a beater vs losing 5k in trade in/selling privately is quite a bit different.

If you truly love your car, then you won't get rid of it if its not a pure money issue. I had knee surgery and i gladly didn't drive my Talon TSI for 3 months vs selling it and never having it again.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 02:00 PM
Evolving Member

ill trade ya! lol RA for GSR, hey its worth a try lol
Old Dec 12, 2010, 02:36 PM
Evolved Member

If you LOVE the evo look at the MR. However if your looking for a change wither of the BMW's will be great.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 03:23 PM

I would go with a infiniti G series or a lexus 350ls either one of those cars are pretty sweet. But i'll always be a die hard Evo man, but if I had to choose those would be the two.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 03:30 PM
Evolved Member

Location: Philly, Germany, Japan, UK...South Dakota (Da Sticks).......
Personally if were me I'd just keep it and just let your girl drive you everywhere. Once in a while go to the Evo sit in it and turn it on and remember how good of a car it is and that you'll soon be driving it again.....

Being in the military if I deploy I'm gone for six months or however long with the way things are going and I won't get to look at my Evo.....I regret getting rid of my VIII (just cause it was paid off and still looked like new).
Old Dec 12, 2010, 04:38 PM
Evolved Member

What kind of shoulder surgery? I have had two major shoulder surgeries (same shoulder) since buying the Evo.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 05:02 PM
Evolved Member

Shift with left hand? Its not ideal but not impossible. lol

I love BMW's, I don't think you can really go wrong there, but an Evo and BMW are completely different animals. So you have to ask yourself, are you willing to give up the feel of an Evo for the softer more refined German breed? If I was in your situation, I would prob buy a truck to drive and then I could pull the Evo with it too when I had to. Nissan GTR is automatic! Just sayin...

Quick Reply: might have to sell the GSR... opinions?