Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

VERY IMPORTANT: buy winter tires

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2010, 04:56 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
*facepalm*.... really? I would think by now that a set of winter tires would be the same common sense as doing an oil change...

At least you learned. Tell all your buddies down in the states that EVERYONE that sees any snow needs winters just in case... espicially with all the snow that has been going on lately. You just learned its 1000 times better to be safe than sorry. Yeah, 1k for winters blow... but whats worse is knowing that spending that 1k would have prevented 5k+ damage, and potentially saved some lives.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 05:05 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by chaotichoax
Old Dec 17, 2010, 05:08 AM

yep i learned that lesson all too well already too.. my first week in the evo.. snow was starting to fall, so i hopped in and was actually driving to the tire shop ... didnt hit anything "thank god" but it was certainly an experience i would NEVER want to endure again, all the sliding... and not stopping.. the sloooow motion slides that seem to take forever to finally straighten out lol yay for having the winters on now and ripping through the snow up here in alberta!! ..winter rubbers.. best investment!
Old Dec 17, 2010, 08:12 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Let me add to the thread by pointing out that any snow tire will save you and your car in this weather. You don't have to order special snow tires an pay a higher price to have excellent snow performance. Just go to your local tire shop and buy a set of el-cheapo, no-name snow tires. Hell, my Kia minivan on 4 cheap snows run circles around virtually anything on the road.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 08:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know if he's being a dick. It's pretty straight forward that high performance summer tires won't work in the snow.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 08:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have never owned summer tires due to the fact i don't like swapping rims and tires for different seasons so i just go all season tires. IMO its better to have to run all seaon tires in the summer than run summer tires in the winter.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 08:56 AM
Evolved Member

The only thing that pisses me off is having to pay the dealer every 6 months for reprogramming my TPMS!! They should just do it for free. Stockers in the summer, DWS for winter.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 09:07 AM
Evolving Member

Snow Tires + AWD =
Stock/Summer Tires + AWD =

At least no one was injured.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 09:07 AM
Evolving Member

First thing I bought was snow tires. I had the car 2 weeks in the cold and ended up sideways twice and there wasn't even snow yet. The Advans get cold and don't grip at all. It's like having wooden wheels.

I bought an 08 a month ago and it still had the sticker on the driver side door about the tires. But this isn't my first AWD car and snow tires are always a must.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 09:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
all seasons aren't too hot either. if you're looking into tires for the winter, just suck it up and buy full on snow tires. my car is in the garage on all seasons. they're just horrible in the snow.....the only thing i gain from a/s seasons is the ability to drive in very cold temps without many issues but forget it if it's snowing!
Old Dec 17, 2010, 09:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lots of MD people here We have a local X club with almost 20 members. PM me if you're interested

Winter tires are a pretty obvious move for anyone driving their X in the snow, but don't get too cocky if you have them. They don't make you invincible, so just use common sense =/ I had my X at VIR a couple weeks ago doing 130mph in the snow.... then slid through an icy down-hill intersection doing 20mph a couple days later. Lucky it was an uneventful slide since I knew it was gonna happen and was laying on the horn just in case anyone was coming All part of that common sense thing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5e222F1A0eo
Old Dec 17, 2010, 09:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dek0026
all seasons aren't too hot either. if you're looking into tires for the winter, just suck it up and buy full on snow tires. my car is in the garage on all seasons. they're just horrible in the snow.....the only thing i gain from a/s seasons is the ability to drive in very cold temps without many issues but forget it if it's snowing!
I have no problem with all seasons. They will most likely last longer. However, they are not as good as winters, if you feel it is totally necessary. Keep in mind the other 99.5% of cars on the road are also running all seasons, just FYI.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 09:54 AM

I didn't swap out my advans last year, probably not going to this year (I do however only live 6 miles from work with no posted limits higher than 45 - if there is enough snow on the ground for me to worry about sliding around, the car probably isnt going to clear the driveway anyway). But yes, they handle like **** on snow. If there is enough on the ground to 'crunch' and pack when you step on it, dont plan on doing anymore than 30mph.

And for gods sake watch the accelerator. Its an AWD car. Its not going to pull forward left or slide out rear left. The entire car will break and shift laterally. Throttle up slow, lower your cruising speed, and give yourself triple the normal distance to slow to a stop. Regardless of what tires your rolling.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 10:04 AM
Evolved Member

Location: Clifton New Jersey Lived: Daytona Beach, Florida Lived: Port Orange, Florida
i don't recommend it but i had little problem with my starspecs in the snow and ice. its normal to drive at 7000rpms in 1st to go 5mph up hill right? lol but seriously its possible but u better know what you are doing, i practically drove like it was a rally course, i had to turn early towards the curbs to go around turns. ( moral never again)
Old Dec 17, 2010, 10:09 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Skylineracer
i don't recommend it but i had little problem with my starspecs in the snow and ice. its normal to drive at 7000rpms in 1st to go 5mph up hill right? lol but seriously its possible but u better know what you are doing, i practically drove like it was a rally course, i had to turn early towards the curbs to go around turns. ( moral never again)

If you turned the steering wheel (on Star Specs) and the car actually tuned, you're not citing an environment familiar to the folks in this thread.

Quick Reply: VERY IMPORTANT: buy winter tires