Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

VERY IMPORTANT: buy winter tires

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2010, 10:17 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I think...

Originally Posted by Me
First off, extreme performance summer tires - do not run them. The tire compounds in many extreme summer, often silica based (A046, A13C, Z1*, RE11, NT05, RT615K, etc), is not designed to perform in sub 50 degree weather. It is dangerous to drive them in temperatures below that. You will have instant traction loss without any warning (dry pavement).
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...inter-you.html

...Ill just say it here again.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 10:38 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So i looked at the car now that there's daylight - it looks like the rear door might need to be replaced, the front door, and the front quarter panel, as well as the front bumper, and headlight housing.

It also clipped just behind the rear door:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1677551/Phot...%2021%20PM.jpg

this is what i'm most concerned about, because it looks like this part is part of the frame..... anyone have a clue on how it would be repaired?
Old Dec 17, 2010, 11:24 AM

Just realize, once you get winter tires in the future it will be like driving a completely different car. Should handle like a mule in snow. Good luck with the damage. As far as the repairs, I am confident any reputable collision shop will be able to fix it.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 11:48 AM
Evolved Member

That spot is not hard to fix. No big deal. BONDO!! No seriously, they can pull that out. It sucks that you toasted your new car like this though. ALWAYS buy a new car in the spring, not heading into winter, IMO.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 06:18 PM

Not an Evo, but a clear picture why we don't run summers in snow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZjLi4645DQ
Old Dec 19, 2010, 08:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by N118GT
Not an Evo, but a clear picture why we don't run summers in snow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZjLi4645DQ
I wish those tire would have gotten hold!!
Old Dec 19, 2010, 08:20 PM
Evolving Member

instead of putting the sticker about the tires and snow on the door, they should put it on the owner's forehead when they purchase the car. they might actually read it.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 06:49 AM

come'on guys!!!!! a set of snow tires would cause u like $700 + or even less. just get it... this is my current set up Stock enkei+blizzak 245/40/18+stock springs&shocks = mini truck lol ...is all about the right tire.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 07:04 AM
Evolved Member

nah ... just keep those summers on ... it means I get to pick up a perfectly good lightly smashed up Evo X for inexpensive! Teh gangsta hoodz driverz findz out itz naught um rallyz kar!

New Nitto NT850s are barely adequate, but yes I'd spring for some NT SN2s at least.
Oh BTW .. if you want a better biting surface, get the skinniest tire you can find.
~j.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 07:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoX-11
Hope you learnt your lesson, I mean thats written everywhere even in your door that stock tires are not suitable for snow
^ this......
Old Dec 20, 2010, 08:18 AM

just have a set of all seasons....
Old Dec 21, 2010, 11:38 AM
Evolving Member

yeah bought some all season tires through the mitsubishi dealer today. i didn't know this, but apparently mitsubishi dealerships have a deal with tirerack, so the same price you see on tirerack's website is the same as what you pay at the dealer..... definitely makes it a lot easier since you need to go back to the dealer to get the TPMS recalibrated.

prior to the evo, i had a ralliart and i made sure to buy snow tires last year. this year i was procrastinating, hoping to make it to the end of december before buying snow tires. I just moved into a new apt with my girlfriend and bought a bunch of furniture, so cash was low.

pretty harsh comments from y'all, seriously. accidents happen and people make mistakes, but the last thing you need to hear is comments like these. i could have kept this whole accident to myself, but thought I'd be NICE and share this story so it doesn't happen to others. you really don't need to rub it in and show off how cool you are by beating a guy that's already down on the ground.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 12:14 PM
Evolved Member

Wink

Originally Posted by xdmitrix
pretty harsh comments from y'all, seriously. accidents happen and people make mistakes, but the last thing you need to hear is comments like these. i could have kept this whole accident to myself, but thought I'd be NICE and share this story so it doesn't happen to others. you really don't need to rub it in and show off how cool you are by beating a guy that's already down on the ground.
What did you seriously expect with anonymous user names on a (inter)national forum?

To help soften the blow I will admit I probably upped your repair cost, by running my Evo in 2003 into a guardrail at about 15mph. In that case the all-seasons did have enough grippy for winter, but not for the high horsepower maneuver I wanted to do. My expectations were off, what I did was wrong, and I paid for it in a wrecked Evo. I kicked myself (emotionally), got kicked at here, from my family (for buying a 'race' car), and even my cat ignored me for a whole week. I personally don't expect to get coddled on this forum.

Among all of the armchair reviews I still do find a lot of good information here, if you're looking for it.

An Evo can teach you a lot about what a well designed (chassis and motor) automobile can do.

BTW what all-seasons did you get? I'm curious. If it were me, I'd go for those new Continental DWSes.

~j.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 01:21 PM
Evolving Member

that's exactly what i got, continental DSWs

insurance got back to me, total repairs are going to cost $5762 - repairing rear quarter panel, replacing entire back passenger door, skin on front passenger door, front bumper, front quarter panel, oil bracket, oil cooler

Last edited by xdmitrix; Dec 21, 2010 at 01:32 PM.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 08:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by xdmitrix
that's exactly what i got, continental DSWs

insurance got back to me, total repairs are going to cost $5762 - repairing rear quarter panel, replacing entire back passenger door, skin on front passenger door, front bumper, front quarter panel, oil bracket, oil cooler
ouch ... mine was 10k. front skid plate plastics, front sub frame, chassis tweaking, front lower control arm, drive shaft, front hood, front headlamp assembly.

I think you'll really like the DSWs. My A6 Audi friend got them, and they are probably the most amazing all-season I've seen to date. (That and TireRack can't keep them in stock they're so popular.)

Enjoy!

~j.

Quick Reply: VERY IMPORTANT: buy winter tires