Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

VERY IMPORTANT: buy winter tires

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2010, 11:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I look at paying extra for good tires and winter tires as just part of insurance coverage. If you wreck due to crappy tires then all the money saved by not buying higher quality will be negated very fast. Tires are the most important thing of any car.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 11:26 AM

Were getting some snow right now in jersey. I have all seasons on my car and my gf has winter tires on her fwd mazda 3. I drove both to compare. The verdict.......mazda 3 would run circles around my evo lol. The all season get the job done, but you do need to be a little cautious. Kinda wish i had some winter tires to really see what my car was capable of doing in the snow.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 11:36 AM
Evolving Member

I went to the Snow on the stock summer tires and it wasn't so fun.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by turbo125
Were getting some snow right now in jersey. I have all seasons on my car and my gf has winter tires on her fwd mazda 3. I drove both to compare. The verdict.......mazda 3 would run circles around my evo lol. The all season get the job done, but you do need to be a little cautious. Kinda wish i had some winter tires to really see what my car was capable of doing in the snow.
Haha yah.. i just ordered a set of winter tires aswell and am forced to drive my sisters mazda until they get here.

Does anyone know if the tires need to be mounted at a dealership or something because I think I saw a thread about some sensors or something needing to be reset/setup if you mount new tires?
Old Dec 26, 2010, 01:22 PM
Evolved Member

you made a newbie mistake .. most here know advans come off in this kind of weather...... all-seasons will work in this storm if you are cautious, i have done it MANY times. winter tires are if you want to drive it like an evo in snow
Old Dec 26, 2010, 02:01 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by slowx
Haha yah.. i just ordered a set of winter tires aswell and am forced to drive my sisters mazda until they get here.

Does anyone know if the tires need to be mounted at a dealership or something because I think I saw a thread about some sensors or something needing to be reset/setup if you mount new tires?
Our tires have the TPMS sensors, but you should be able to go anywhere to mount the tires, as long as they don't break the sensor when unmount/mounting the tires.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 03:44 PM

I just bought my Evo X last Tuesday, and Thursday night it decided to snow like 4 inches here. I already ordered some new Blizzak LM60's and rims from Tire Rack, but they won't be here for another few days so I'm still on summer tires. I had to drive to switch cars for work, there's a big hill I have to go down, ended up losing traction about 1/3 down and slid sideways the rest of the way. Fortunately the road was empty so I didn't hit anyone or anything, but I learned my lesson; no more driving til the blizzaks show up.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 03:44 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Got a little snow yesterday and today. We rarely get much here, and 99% of the time we do, I just drive the wife around in her CR-V (on all seasons), since she is from the south and doesn't have any idea how to drive in snow.

We went out to Target this morning and there were so few people out, so we took the Evo. I'm from Indiana, so I started out driving in snow.

I'm on Star Specs, so they are summer tires only too, but common sense applies, like don't drive on any inclines. One thing that is great is the way these tires slide around in a parking lot, just crazy. Very controllable spins on a flat surface. But would I drive the car with a lot of other traffic where there are hills? No way.

My reason for keeping summer tires on all year around is that we get snow 3-5 days out of 365, and I have a back up other car to drive.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 03:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by xdmitrix
Hey guys - well today I royally f*ed up my brand new evo, thanks to not buying winter tires. The stock summer advans SLIDE AROUND LIKE YOU ARE ON A ICE RINK.

I was about 30 seconds from driving into my parking space, but the lot was covered in about an inch of snow, with possibly some ice underneath. There was a slight decline to the hill, and basically my car ended up smashing into a parked car, I lost total control. I was driving 5 mph.

The whole passenger side of my car is banged up, from the headlight housing to the rear tire well. What is killing me is it looks like the bottom just past the right rear door got hit too, and i'm not sure that's even replaceable.

I'd figure the least I can do is warn you all. Don't even think you can try to make it through the winter with the advans. The all wheel drive system is completely worthless without the right tires.
I drove all winter long last year on the advans.. you have to go slow and have a lot of experience in the snow. I am on the continental DWS' now which seem to do pretty well, they have good grip in the wet and dry and in the snow they seem to have done very well thus far. I went with them because I needed a year round tire that was good in all conditions. If I ever track the car, i'll buy another set of summer tires, but until then, i'll just go a little slower than I do with the OEM's in the dry.

Last edited by Methodical4u; Dec 26, 2010 at 03:49 PM.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 05:40 PM

I've learned my lesson driving in this storm tonight. I'm buying winter tires tomorrow. Too many close calls tonight.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 07:39 PM
Evolving Member

I drove to and from work today and had only some minor slippage with the stockers, but definately if this happens again soon, winter tires will be bought, I just want to be able to manuever around all the other idiots on the road. but I just took it slow and had no problems love my car though was pretty fun driving in the snow.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 07:56 AM
Evolving Member

i drove mine with stock advan till the middle of the december due to late shipping of my tires ..scared all the time driving my car .. bt after installing my dws continental .. gave me some confindent .. bt still u may nt get ur self into accident bt theres still people around that can do that to u ..
Old Jan 27, 2011, 12:55 PM

I don't understand people who drive on the stock advans in the winter. It's not even the snow that gets you, it's the cold temps. The car ships with a friggin sticker on the DASHBOARD saying they're not meant for winter..lol
Old Jan 27, 2011, 12:59 PM

I always suggest getting winter tires for any car. Once you have winter/snow tires and use them through snow, you'll never want to be without them in the winter time. Used my Q7 last night on Blizzaks in the D.C. area and it was unstoppable.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 06:04 AM

Couldn't imagine what it would be like WITHOUT snow tires...

Quick Reply: VERY IMPORTANT: buy winter tires