Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

VERY IMPORTANT: buy winter tires

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2010, 06:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VERY IMPORTANT: buy winter tires

I'd figure the least I can do is warn you all. Don't even think you can try to make it through the winter with the advans. The all wheel drive system is completely worthless without the right tires.

Last edited by xdmitrix; Mar 14, 2011 at 08:23 PM.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 06:19 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by xdmitrix
Hey guys - well today I royally f*ed up my brand new evo, thanks to not buying winter tires. The stock summer advans SLIDE AROUND LIKE YOU ARE ON A ICE RINK.

I was about 30 seconds from driving into my parking space, but the lot was covered in about an inch of snow, with possibly some ice underneath. There was a slight decline to the hill, and basically my car ended up smashing into a parked car, I lost total control. I was driving 5 mph.

The whole passenger side of my car is banged up, from the headlight housing to the rear tire well. What is killing me is it looks like the bottom just past the right rear door got hit too, and i'm not sure that's even replaceable.

I'd figure the least I can do is warn you all. Don't even think you can try to make it through the winter with the advans. The all wheel drive system is completely worthless without the right tires.

Hope you learnt your lesson, I mean thats written everywhere even in your door that stock tires are not suitable for snow
Old Dec 16, 2010, 06:21 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...inter-you.html

stickied yesterday
Old Dec 16, 2010, 06:23 PM
Evolving Member

It is common sense not to drive the Advan summer tires in the winter. Even the dealer tells you that you will have to switch out the tires in the winter. Just be happy that you didn't get hurt or hurt someone else. It's like riding with bald tires.

Last edited by JonahEVO; Dec 16, 2010 at 06:26 PM.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 06:52 PM
Evolving Member

I just picked up my new '11 from the dealer a few weeks ago. I detailed it myself, asked them to leave it with all the shipping plastics blah, blah.

The first thing I saw when I sat in the car is a warning sticker stuck on the door. It says, don't drive the car in the winter on the stock tires.

Before I bought my car I was looking at a couple other 2010's. All of these were dealer prepped and none had the warning sticker on the inside of the car.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 06:57 PM
Evolving Member

I was looking to buy some winter tires - I didn't expect it to snow as heavily as it did today. I guess I just wasn't prepared for just how bad these tires were in the snow, it was absolutely ridiculous.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 07:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by xdmitrix
I was looking to buy some winter tires - I didn't expect it to snow as heavily as it did today. I guess I just wasn't prepared for just how bad these tires were in the snow, it was absolutely ridiculous.
Today was nasty,

I didn't get my Blizzaks on yet either, slow is the name of the game if days like today happen...

A snail could beat me home...
Old Dec 16, 2010, 07:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sorry to hear that man... i had someone rear end me today in DC...good thing i was in my corolla
Old Dec 16, 2010, 08:24 PM
Evolved Member

Sorry to hear, it's amazing how much a difference tire compound makes.

I'm loving winter yet again, blasting around on my WinterSports.

If your light is messed up, the vulture in me wants to know how bad it is and is it SSS/reflector?
Old Dec 16, 2010, 08:27 PM
Evolved Member

They are like ice skates man. Ice skates.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 10:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yep, even all seasons can bite you hard. Def need dedicated WINTER tires for any confidence on snowy, crappy winter roads. Did a 720 and just missed being sucked into the ditch on a straight road 10 mph under the speed limit on about 3 inches of snow, on some fairly new A/S tires. Ridiculous.
My Michelin Pilot Alpins on order...
Old Dec 16, 2010, 10:25 PM

Thanks for heads up man...I drove in snow once in my X and it was pretty bad...definatly looking to invest in winter tires now
Old Dec 17, 2010, 04:01 AM

Sorry to here that news, sux! I picked my car on a Tues in Nov and by that Sat AM, it was rolling Goodyear Eagle Ultra Grip GW-3s. Decent price too...$668 mounted/balanced. Far less than the Blizzaks, Alpins or Winter Sport 3Ds but I'm sure you get what you pay for. The Continental ContiWinterContact TS810 S and Pirelli Winter 210 Sottozero Serie II are comparable in price.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 04:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Obviously you have very little driving experience and you shouldn't even be driving a 300hp car if you don't know extreme performance summer tire don't work in the snow and neither should be anyone that's thanking you for this topic. People like you scare the living **** out of me.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by Toxin
Obviously you have very little driving experience and you shouldn't even be driving a 300hp car if you don't know extreme performance summer tire don't work in the snow and neither should be anyone that's thanking you for this topic. People like you scare the living **** out of me.
true, but a bit harsh... some people just dont know or have never owned a car with a summer tire before.. we gotta try to be a little bit understanding though, i mean thats what forums are for, no?

Quick Reply: VERY IMPORTANT: buy winter tires