Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Recent upgrade foolish? or Fun?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2010, 07:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recent upgrade foolish? or Fun?

I have only had my evo for a little over a month now and have purchased the Cobb accessport and a buschur Hard UICP to help give the car a bit more go... Of course I would like more (who doesnt) But Im thinking I will go the typical route and get a full exhaust and IC / lower pipe later down the road, but that gonna cost quite a bit so for now I decided to purchase the ETS intake. Now I know the intake is somewhat trivial becuase I will no longer benefit from it leaning out the poor factory tune as the cobb tune has corrected that, but I decieded to purchase it because it will add a bit of sound to the car.. Its not quite the exhaust sound but its something to add a bit of fun and enjoyment to driving the car around.. The car is so quiet from the factory it needs something for now.. I was debating I was debating on the ETS intake vs Cobb catted Test Pipe. While the Test pipe gets me closer to making more power the intake will add a small bit of power by replacing the factory suction pipe and just seems like fun...

what do you guys think?
Old Dec 17, 2010, 07:50 PM
Evolved Member

I'm not sure about the off the shelf cobb maps, but they may have one that optimizes your tune for just the intake, but you probably won't see any gains from the intake really until its tuned for it. If its tuned for it you'll see slightly more power than say an Evo X with just a tune, but not much. I'd just save for a full turbo back IMO.

Now once you get more mods then you'll have more use for the intake. I had an VIII with an FP Green, cams, etc and went from just an Apex'i filter to a full ETS intake and after tuning it ended up picking up something like 30whp thanks to a bigger pipe and better breathing filter. And I bought the ETS intake about 6 months after having my green, cams, etc installed. Just to clarify and something to keep in mind.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by tripperfx3
I'm not sure about the off the shelf cobb maps, but they may have one that optimizes your tune for just the intake, but you probably won't see any gains from the intake really until its tuned for it. If its tuned for it you'll see slightly more power than say an Evo X with just a tune, but not much. I'd just save for a full turbo back IMO.

Now once you get more mods then you'll have more use for the intake. I had an VIII with an FP Green, cams, etc and went from just an Apex'i filter to a full ETS intake and after tuning it ended up picking up something like 30whp thanks to a bigger pipe and better breathing filter. And I bought the ETS intake about 6 months after having my green, cams, etc installed. Just to clarify and something to keep in mind.
Thats some good info

So +1 for not foolish, benificial now with some sound and later for some power
Old Dec 17, 2010, 08:11 PM
Evolved Member

The intake will definitely allow for you to hear the turbo spool and will also sound like it is venting to the atmosphere between shifts. If you are looking to increase engine noise as well as make a bit of power, go for it. The intake will really shine at higher power levels and once the car has been tuned to take advantage of the intake itself.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by RoMeIX
The intake will definitely allow for you to hear the turbo spool and will also sound like it is venting to the atmosphere between shifts. If you are looking to increase engine noise as well as make a bit of power, go for it. The intake will really shine at higher power levels and once the car has been tuned to take advantage of the intake itself.
Yeah I just felt like the car needed some sound, its so quiet and meager sounding from the factory.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 08:54 PM
Evolved Member

ets intake sounds beast. first and only choice
Old Dec 17, 2010, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by tehSteve
ets intake sounds beast. first and only choice
Yeah, cant wait.. should be here wednesday of next week
Old Dec 18, 2010, 10:05 AM

Im pretty sure cobb doesn't have a map for the ets intake, so I would look into that. maybe they do now, but im not sure. Not sure if I would put the UICP on either considering the cobb maps arent made for that, but maybe its is fine to run that, I would call cobb and ask. I also wouldn't put the test pipe on either by itself. Just save up for the whole turbo back exhaust and run stage 2 on your ap. good luck!
Old Dec 18, 2010, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by turbo125
Im pretty sure cobb doesn't have a map for the ets intake, so I would look into that. maybe they do now, but im not sure. Not sure if I would put the UICP on either considering the cobb maps arent made for that, but maybe its is fine to run that, I would call cobb and ask. I also wouldn't put the test pipe on either by itself. Just save up for the whole turbo back exhaust and run stage 2 on your ap. good luck!
Yeah, I talked to Cobb before ordering the intake and they said that I would have to do some map swapping and find out which one will have the short and long trim closest to 0 (added) but it should be fine, and that the uicp will be fine. Thanks for the heads up though. Thats why I decided to go with the intake for now and I will pick up the full exhaust when I can afford it
Old Dec 18, 2010, 10:32 AM
Evolved Member

And the nice thing about the AccessPort is that the off-the-shelf maps are really pretty good. At our recent dyno day we had cars running OTS maps outperforming custom-tuned vehicles. Once you zero in on the map that best suits your intake, I think you'll be pretty happy with the results.