Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

New Evo X

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2010, 09:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow guys, thanks for the welcome! I would have responded sooner, but for some reason the forum notifications are not arriving to my email... odd anyway...

Yeah, the stolen STi was mine

Sounds stupid but in some ways i feel like i am cheating on my old car :P I do miss it... But "dwell not lest ye mire in sadness", so i move on.

I was trying to do some research on CAI, hard to tell which is best. I had a K&N on my STi and it seemed to do really good. Looking at the pictures on this thread https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...e-thread.html#

made me think the K&N still looks like a decent choice - anyone have a strong opinion otherwise?

Catback and turboback exhaust parts seem like they might be some work - are they able to be installed via car jack stands and a weekend in the garage, or are they mechanic shop install only? (my experience in working on cars is moderate, but not pro, so....)

The car is a daily driver, and since its fun to drive, I drive all my friends around too :P

I have done SCCA, but to tell the truth, driving my STi on the little one parking lot track was more of a bad tease than a fun time. Anyone know of actual tracks in Colorado that amateurs can race on? (even if i still have to join the SCCA to get access to them...)

In regards to punishment, I try not to do anything stupid (beside taking 20mph on-ramps at 55mph+) But when I tried to get the car to launch just a little - just a little, i wasn't dumping the clutch or anything crazy, just warming it up a little - the car went fine, but when i stopped the tach hovered around 3000 rpm till i pressed the gas again... anyone know why it did that?

and lastly - does anyone know how to turn off he 37degree icy road warning? its 37 degrees in colo a lot and not necessarily icy so the ping alter is annoying

I will get some pics soon - especially of my car estimating my MPG at 7.6... 0.0!!
Old Dec 28, 2010, 09:47 AM

High Plains Raceway and theres a track down in Pueblo I think.

From what I've read so far, a K&N goes a pretty long ways, but everyone recommends a tuning platform and hard intercooler piping first.

I plan on staying stock for a bit, maybe save up a bit and upgrade the turbo and everything else at the same time.

And parts for the evo are alot easier to install and cheaper to boot, you dont have to buy 2 of everything, lol. But yeah, get some snows or all seasonn on STAT. Advans suck during the cold!
Old Dec 28, 2010, 10:34 AM
Evolving Member

catback is easy to install. the pita one is the downpipe.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 11:58 AM

yeah, the downpipe sounds tough... maybe i will do similar to kakashi - stay stock for a bit. well maybe an CIA cant hurt - not tune needed for that, and in colo i think it makes a fairly big difference (just my opinion though...).
Old Dec 28, 2010, 12:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Yea catback and testpipe/highflow cat are very easy to install. The downpipe is a bit tough and very aggravating. You will be surprised how much easier Evo's are to work on than STi's.

And the hanging rev thing,.. Yea that's normal. If you sit still and hit the gas a couple times you will see the rpm's staying up high. Our ecus do that to burn off excess gas and give us better emissions or somthing like that. It used to bug the crap out of me but i guess i got used to it. The rpm's go down faster if you press the clutch a couple times.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by kakashi
High Plains Raceway
Sweet! I will try this out asap, since its like frikkin summer here, what is it today 55degress out? Hello heat wave!

aaaanyway...

Thanks for the info on the rev hang - it was odd, but it seemed like the car was ok.

Anyone know how to turn off the 37 degree temp warning (icy road warning)

and has anyone found out the formula Mitsu is using for mpg - because it seems to go off the tanks full volume, not the amount used. i.e i have filled up the tank - then after driving 30 miles the car claims i am getting 7.6 mpg, but as i drive more, and use up more of the tank, the mpg goes up, ending around 15.6mpg (yech! my STi never got below 19mpg what the heck??) seems too low... so i am going to measure and keep track of the fuel my self, and see if it matched the cars info... anyone try this yet?
Old Jan 1, 2011, 10:23 PM

full bolt ons a tune and access port and a drop is a great reliable car.. congrats btw!!
Old Jan 2, 2011, 11:47 AM

Congrats on the new purchase. Sucks on the previous one though.
Old Jan 2, 2011, 11:59 AM

Congrats and welcome to the site.. theres alot of guys with great experience here ur in great hands!
Old Jan 3, 2011, 05:36 PM
Evolving Member

how much do i gain

i got 2010 x se i put on injen intake and uicp,with cobb accesss port now adding invidia cat back with down pipe , how much hp should i gain because after intake and cobb port either i got use to car or it felt slower to me just more sucking air and releaseing is all i hear no throwing my head back
Old Jan 3, 2011, 05:41 PM

You can't honestly expect to be able to feel 10-15 hp on a butt dyno...
Old Jan 3, 2011, 05:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Renley
Sweet! I will try this out asap, since its like frikkin summer here, what is it today 55degress out? Hello heat wave!

aaaanyway...

Thanks for the info on the rev hang - it was odd, but it seemed like the car was ok.

Anyone know how to turn off the 37 degree temp warning (icy road warning)

and has anyone found out the formula Mitsu is using for mpg - because it seems to go off the tanks full volume, not the amount used. i.e i have filled up the tank - then after driving 30 miles the car claims i am getting 7.6 mpg, but as i drive more, and use up more of the tank, the mpg goes up, ending around 15.6mpg (yech! my STi never got below 19mpg what the heck??) seems too low... so i am going to measure and keep track of the fuel my self, and see if it matched the cars info... anyone try this yet?
the colder temps (below 50) throw off the mpg sensor. I have a navi unit (in my sig) that records the exact amount of miles i travel, and after i input the amount of gallons pumped it gives me an exact mpg reading.

In summer i avg 21-22. winter is about 18-19 (this is due to the higher butane amount in winter gas)

there is no way to turn off the 37 degree warning. it is a safety feature, annoying though? yes.

As far as the intakes you get, you MUST get a tune no matter what intake. The best route i say to take is the ALL cobb route. check out my sig for everything you can get from them minus an FP green, cams, and springs (only things i don't have from them, and they are special order items)

good thing about cobb is every mod, you just reflash the ecu and don't have to worry about a new tune. First mod you should look into is the accessport, for sure.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 06:36 PM

Welcome! I came from an 05 STI also.

The EVO does take some getting used to... kinda feels like it's not put together as well as the STI. Dare I say.... it feels "cheap"

<---------- ducks .

BUT the handling is definitely sharper. Overall I'm sure you will love it.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 05:19 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kakashi
You can't honestly expect to be able to feel 10-15 hp on a butt dyno...
so your telling intake 300 bucks for intake another 600 for cobb port and all i get is 10hp what about the 1100 i just put out for exhaust how much gain from that? i could upgrade a moped for fifty bucks and get 15 hp out of it
Old Jan 4, 2011, 08:20 AM
Evolving Member

Welcome. I just came from the Subby world myself. Still have my 03 WRX that's putting 320awhp down and was really fun to drive. Purchased the Evo because I couldn't spend the money on the Subby anymore to keep it from breaking. 6 years and a ton of money to get 320awhp out of it. It's not an STi but still faster than many cars on the street.

As for what to do first I would start with the exhaust, CB, TP and DP. I just installed my TP last night and after the first drive I noticed a difference. The turbo spooled earlier and stayed on higher in the RPM. It sounds so much better too!!!