Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

bogging, stuttering, popping HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2010, 08:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bogging, stuttering, popping HELP!!!

All,

Yesterday my car started doing the things in the title of this thread. The only "different" thing I did was buy gas at a different gas station. I was visiting family in southern Jersey and was low on gas so got gas at the first place I saw, US Gas. I dont know if it could be sh**ty gas that is causing these problems. When I try to accelerate the rpms dont go up, but then all of a sudden there'll be a pop that sounds like the engine backfiring and i'll be able to accelerate. Also its been really cold and snowy yesterday, can that have caused something?

please help!
Old Dec 27, 2010, 09:09 AM
Evolved Member

check your fuel pressure regulator hose to see if it popped off by chance
Old Dec 27, 2010, 10:03 AM

Checked the fuel regulator hose, its on tight. I checked the other vacuum hoses and nothing seems to be loose.

I topped off the tank with gas from my usual Wawa gas station - if it was a gas issue hopefully this will take care of it.

any other ideas guys?
Old Dec 27, 2010, 10:17 AM
Evolving Member

I don't know if it affects the '10 X, but there's a TSB for the fuel relay; specifically for cold environments. Perhaps your issue? Or simply ****e fuel.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 02:29 PM

So I unplugged the MAF sensor and all of a sudden the car started running ok. Ran it with the MAF disconnected for about 10 mins then reconnected it. It ran ok I think but it got dark so I stopped playing with it. Can this have fixed it? What are the side effects of running with MAF unplugged??
Old Dec 31, 2010, 03:30 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
wawa gas, mom and pop gas why don't you use a real gas station? ill drive out of my way for the right gas station, never ever do I ever use any gas.
Good example- two years ago I went for a dyno tune and did what you did, filled up with hess gas before the tune. the tuner was like why such low numbers??? he asked what gas am I using, told him hess and he was like wtf. we took out the gas, replaced it with shell gas and boom 20+ whp more.

Did you switch to SD? your looking for trouble by driving with no maf.

Last edited by MR. EVO MR; Dec 31, 2010 at 03:34 AM.
Old Jan 1, 2011, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by 10EvoX
All,

Yesterday my car started doing the things in the title of this thread. The only "different" thing I did was buy gas at a different gas station. I was visiting family in southern Jersey and was low on gas so got gas at the first place I saw, US Gas. I dont know if it could be sh**ty gas that is causing these problems. When I try to accelerate the rpms dont go up, but then all of a sudden there'll be a pop that sounds like the engine backfiring and i'll be able to accelerate. Also its been really cold and snowy yesterday, can that have caused something?

please help!
Hmmm, I was going to say maybe its just that super cold and your car is not properly warmed up but you stated that you've been driving. Just take it to the dealership and have them worry about it.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 12:44 PM

update: I disconnected my battery for a few minutes and reconnected.. filled up with Shell 93 octane... unplugged and replugged every vacuum hose I could get to....the car runs fine now. Still have SES with front o2 sensor not working light on, but the bogging and popping has stopped... still fairly convinced it was a batch of bad gas, but can't be sure.. anyways all fixed now. Thanks for the input