Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Tomei expreme flange diameter question

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2013, 06:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Every little bit helps. I would stay away for this reason also, but tomei is just to loud for me anyway. I pre ordered the new Ark single.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 09:25 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok you people do realise that dropping 36lbs makes up for that .5hp you will loss from the 1/4" taper, right? Not to mention that 1/4" taper wont even make a different unless you have turbo back system with a testpipe and a aftermarket turbo to flow more air.

This is the dumbest thread i have ever seen on evo forums.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Snakes709
I cant believe people were saying "thats why im staying away from the tomei exhaust, because its taper 1/4 of an inch" wow really? You wont even notice 1/4 differene in diameter. I'll take loosing 36lbs from the exhaust over a 1/4" taper any day.
Haha. It should say this in the description. Im over it. I love the exhaust. Mainly how light it is. But also its construction and sound. Still unsure why they would taper it like that as even a 3 inch will still bolt up to the stock cat
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:27 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by chi_weezy
Haha. It should say this in the description. Im over it. I love the exhaust. Mainly how light it is. But also its construction and sound. Still unsure why they would taper it like that as even a 3 inch will still bolt up to the stock cat
Most likely due to the chance that if you have a 2.5" flange going to a 3" flange there is a risk of exhaust leak. Less chance if its 2.5 going to a 2.75" flange. Eitherway, the sound is amazing and its light as hell. The stock mid section of the catback is heavier then the entire tomei catback.

It just boggles my mind that people are staying away from this exhaust due to a 1/4" taper. Even though this exhaust is only 9lbs 6oz. With my AMS DP, T1R Res TP and Tomei Exhaust i lost 46lbs just from turbo back. Did i notice a difference with the weight loss? no. Will you notice a .5hp decrease from a 1/4" taper.....hell no. And its not like you run, lets say 260hp with stock catback and then put the tomei on and you are now running 259.5hp. If a catback gives the average gain of 10hp, then you can expect 9.5hp increase. Like i said before, that .5hp wont matter since you are dropping 36lbs off of the car.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 10:35 AM

Most likely due to the chance that if you have a 2.5" flange going to a 3" flange there is a risk of exhaust leak. Less chance if its 2.5 going to a 2.75" flange. Eitherway, the sound is amazing and its light as hell. The stock mid section of the catback is heavier then the entire tomei catback.

It just boggles my mind that people are staying away from this exhaust due to a 1/4" taper. Even though this exhaust is only 9lbs 6oz. With my AMS DP, T1R Res TP and Tomei Exhaust i lost 46lbs just from turbo back. Did i notice a difference with the weight loss? no. Will you notice a .5hp decrease from a 1/4" taper.....hell no. And its not like you run, lets say 260hp with stock catback and then put the tomei on and you are now running 259.5hp. If a catback gives the average gain of 10hp, then you can expect 9.5hp increase. Like i said before, that .5hp wont matter since you are dropping 36lbs off of the car.
How light is the T1R TP? I was thinking about getting the Tomei Ti TP. Super light. My Turbo XS HFC is nice but weighs about 7lbs. Too many damn options and choices
Old Jan 15, 2013, 04:11 PM
Evolving Member

Cant remember how much it weighs but its 9lbs lighter then stock.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 04:18 PM
Evolved Member

Basic rule 10 lbs of sprung weight is worth 1 hp.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 05:42 PM

Why the hell has nobody mentioned that the Tomei Expreme has 80MM piping. That's 3.14 INCHES FOLKS!! Making it bigger than AMS and ETS exhausts. So what if it has a 1/4in taper.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 05:49 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Johnr352
Basic rule 10 lbs of sprung weight is worth 1 hp.
Really, so thats a basic rule huh? I think you need to rethink that. That rule changes with every vehical. It also changes depending how much hp the engine is making and how much the vehical weighs.

My ZX6R is 400lbs without me on it. It has 114hp. Which equals to 3.5lbs/hp. Which means for every 10lbs i drop on my bike, it feels like i gained 2.8hp.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 01:08 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Pep
Not sure I understand why they would do such a thing for an evo x exhaust...

Even the Tomei test pipe has a 3" diameter... Why would Tomei taper their exhaust?? So it fits on the OEM cat? That's BS, who keeps their OEM cat anyway?
that's not true.. The test pipe has the same stupid *** taper on both ends. Its a terrible design. I have the material to cut out the tapered piece and weld a section of piping on but the problem is its titanium. The other problem is getting ahold of 80mm piping which is what they use. Here in the states you can only get 76mm piping.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 01:11 AM
Evolving Member

Guys the biggest issue is sealing.. This will 100% have an exhaust leak over time. The flange on the AMS or ETS test pipe or HFC is so much bigger it has a very small section to actually seal against.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:45 AM

If you take the inner diameter of the piping and create an algorithm for the 72mm taper at the flange you'll get a 76mm average inner pipe diameter which converts to 2.99 inches. Making it a full 3 inch exhaust, only lighter!! Whoever has this exhaust WINS !