Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Tomei expreme flange diameter question

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2010, 08:07 PM
Pep

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tomei expreme flange diameter question

Hey!

I just got the AMS downpipe and high flow cat, both of which are 3", and I also got the Tomei expreme cat-back. The later has a pipe diameter of 3", but for some reason, the diameter of the flange is 2"3/4 ?? Look at the pictures I took next to the AMS HFC...

Is this normal? the bolt patern does fit on the AMS HFC, but this will be restricting the exhaust flow.
Attached Thumbnails Tomei expreme flange diameter question-img_3449-web.jpg   Tomei expreme flange diameter question-img_3451-web.jpg  
Old Dec 28, 2010, 08:20 PM

Yes the tomei has a taper where it meets the cat. Thats the only reason i stay away because its not a "true" 3 inch exhaust.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 09:59 PM
Pep

Not sure I understand why they would do such a thing for an evo x exhaust...

Even the Tomei test pipe has a 3" diameter... Why would Tomei taper their exhaust?? So it fits on the OEM cat? That's BS, who keeps their OEM cat anyway?
Old Dec 29, 2010, 09:36 AM
Evolving Member

I'm glad I read this, I was about to order it. I'm not sure why they don't just make it a true 3in. I guess it makes my decision easier...AMS single
Old Dec 29, 2010, 12:02 PM
Pep

I wish I could change the thread title to "Tomei expreme catback not a true 3" exhaust" to warn more people about this. Can a mod do that please?

If I had known, I'd probably have bought the AMS single exit exhaust.

I tried to find this info on vendors' websites and it doesn't mention it anywhere. Not even on Tomei's own website.

I'm disappointed. Other than that though, it's a really nice exhaust and light, too.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 12:09 PM
Evolving Member

how much of a loss, in terms of power, are we talking in here because of the taper? 1-5whp?

Enjoy that beautiful exhaust and dont worry about that taper.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 02:56 PM
Evolving Member

This was the reason I didn't get the Tomei. I love how light it is but that dam flange keep bothering me.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 04:09 PM

Interesting, thanks for the pic
Old Dec 29, 2010, 06:28 PM

They taper it so they can fit the OEM cat and yes people do keep this. A lot of cars are strictly regulated for emissions so they have to keep the stock cats. Another thing is the tomei is technically not a 3 inch exhaust it is an 80mm but the difference is so small its just listed as the equivalent of a 3 inch. Lastly there is no sense in complaining when your losing 40 freaking pounds the loss in that horsepower would be far over shadowed by the fact that you just lost all that weight, I would take 100 pounds off a vehicle far before i took 5 more horsepower.

It all comes down to the engineering of the exhaust system as a whole. Your gaining 20hp and losing 40 pounds. Thus your car will essentially be faster in theory. Just enjoy the car with the exhaust you have. The best exhaust on the market IMHO for the Evo X.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 07:52 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by wrevo
they taper it so they can fit the oem cat and yes people do keep this. A lot of cars are strictly regulated for emissions so they have to keep the stock cats. Another thing is the tomei is technically not a 3 inch exhaust it is an 80mm but the difference is so small its just listed as the equivalent of a 3 inch. Lastly there is no sense in complaining when your losing 40 freaking pounds the loss in that horsepower would be far over shadowed by the fact that you just lost all that weight, i would take 100 pounds off a vehicle far before i took 5 more horsepower.

It all comes down to the engineering of the exhaust system as a whole. Your gaining 20hp and losing 40 pounds. Thus your car will essentially be faster in theory. Just enjoy the car with the exhaust you have. The best exhaust on the market imho for the evo x.
+1
Old Dec 29, 2010, 10:51 PM
Pep

Originally Posted by EvoX-11
how much of a loss, in terms of power, are we talking in here because of the taper? 1-5whp?

Enjoy that beautiful exhaust and dont worry about that taper.
Yeah, well, who knows? My point is that I would have like to know about this before purchasing.

I can't wait to see it installed and hear how it sounds like
Old Dec 29, 2010, 11:24 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Pep
Yeah, well, who knows? My point is that I would have like to know about this before purchasing.

I can't wait to see it installed and hear how it sounds like
Its going to sound great. I have two friends that have this exhaust and I think its the best sounds single tip set up.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 05:55 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 1SiCkEvo
Yes the tomei has a taper where it meets the cat. Thats the only reason i stay away because its not a "true" 3 inch exhaust.

yup JDM bling fail
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by WREvo
They taper it so they can fit the OEM cat and yes people do keep this. A lot of cars are strictly regulated for emissions so they have to keep the stock cats. Another thing is the tomei is technically not a 3 inch exhaust it is an 80mm but the difference is so small its just listed as the equivalent of a 3 inch. Lastly there is no sense in complaining when your losing 40 freaking pounds the loss in that horsepower would be far over shadowed by the fact that you just lost all that weight, I would take 100 pounds off a vehicle far before i took 5 more horsepower.

It all comes down to the engineering of the exhaust system as a whole. Your gaining 20hp and losing 40 pounds. Thus your car will essentially be faster in theory. Just enjoy the car with the exhaust you have. The best exhaust on the market IMHO for the Evo X.
I know this is super old. But THANK you for this logic and reason. I feel much better about this exhaust that i just purchased as i was freaking out about this taper as well lol
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:45 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I cant believe people were saying "thats why im staying away from the tomei exhaust, because its taper 1/4 of an inch" wow really? You wont even notice 1/4 differene in diameter. I'll take loosing 36lbs from the exhaust over a 1/4" taper any day.

Quick Reply: Tomei expreme flange diameter question