Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Looking for opinions

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2011, 01:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for opinions

I moved to South Lake Tahoe April of 2010, and knew my first winter here would be some trial and error with my '05 Ralliart. My snow tires have come in handy so far in a busy winter, but I still have the occasional problem with slick hills trying to go up the mountain to my house, where I figure a AWD would make it. The other problem I've had is missing a couple days of work due to the snow itself. My road tends to be one of the last roads the city plows get to, so when there's more then 6-7 inches in the road, I'm not to confident my little FWD is gonna make it very far. I plan on purchasing an AWD in the spring so I can get used to it before next winter. What I want is opinions from Evo X and even 2009+ Ralliart owners on how much snow these cars can drive through. Regardless of the car I get, snow tires are going to be on it, my main concern is being able to drive through close 18 inches of snow at times without getting stuck.
Old Jan 1, 2011, 01:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Evos and the new RA's do great in the snow when equipped with snow tires. Trade in the silly FWD car for a real winter beast
Old Jan 1, 2011, 01:36 PM
Evolving Member

Honestly watch the second episode of the American Top Gear, haha actions speak louder than words...

But from experience we had a nice blizzard here in MD last year and with my Blizzaks there was not a road I couldn't traverse...

The biggest concern would be beaching it since they don't ride high like a truck, but I wouldn't see that problem in 6-7 inches and also would be confident with 12+...
Old Jan 1, 2011, 02:47 PM
Evolving Member

Buy a 09+ Ralliart or evo x and get k sport gr coilovers. GRs provide 2" more ground clearance for rally racing.
Old Jan 1, 2011, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by SkyGTR
I moved to South Lake Tahoe April of 2010, and knew my first winter here would be some trial and error with my '05 Ralliart. My snow tires have come in handy so far in a busy winter, but I still have the occasional problem with slick hills trying to go up the mountain to my house, where I figure a AWD would make it. The other problem I've had is missing a couple days of work due to the snow itself. My road tends to be one of the last roads the city plows get to, so when there's more then 6-7 inches in the road, I'm not to confident my little FWD is gonna make it very far. I plan on purchasing an AWD in the spring so I can get used to it before next winter. What I want is opinions from Evo X and even 2009+ Ralliart owners on how much snow these cars can drive through. Regardless of the car I get, snow tires are going to be on it, my main concern is being able to drive through close 18 inches of snow at times without getting stuck.

You should just take the plunge its well worth it. Take it to SCM if you are in Socal and I am pretty sure they will take care of you. Will do their best to put you in a X
Old Jan 2, 2011, 04:03 AM

They'll go through plenty of snow without any problem. As long as you aren't digging the front end in really hard you can go through almost anything.
Old Jan 2, 2011, 07:09 AM
Evolving Member

If you say you barely get up the hill with FWD you will do it EASILY (without giving it even a fleeting thought) with AWD.

The only thing is ground clearance. As long as you have enough of that you're golden...

Driving an Evo in snow is scientifically proven to be the most fun you can have on earth, period...
Old Jan 2, 2011, 10:25 AM
Evolving Member

Anyone in the NY area drive through the blizzard last sunday? My pathfinder wouldn't pull out of the spot..i figured the evo wasn't even worth a shot..but then i thought....more TQ...but i still have the summer tires on there
Old Jan 2, 2011, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by MicMcKee
Honestly watch the second episode of the American Top Gear, haha actions speak louder than words...

I though about that whilst reading his post.
Old Jan 2, 2011, 11:42 AM

^ jersey here and I drove throughout the storm no problems..... 29" in my town
Old Jan 2, 2011, 11:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
congrats on the move to tahoe! i lived all around the lake for about 10 years. as amazing as the evo is in snow, you should really consider a true 4x4. i had a 2 door jeep cherokee sport when i was up there with bfg mud terrain's. when the snow is fluffy, the evo is fine, but the snow burms freeze, they will destroy your body work, its inevitable.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 11:15 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the input. I'm going home to visit my parents at the end of February, so I'll be test driving a handful of cars including the Evo X and Ralliart when I'm there. Hell of a lot easier to test drive cars when all the dealers are within 30mins of the house, instead of a couple hours away like here.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 11:46 AM
Evolving Member

You aren't the yellow one I see up on Chimney Rock are you? It is all in the set-up just like anything. My Evo will do circles around my F-350 in the snow.

I would suggest a soft suspension. Don't run stiffer springs or lower the car. Taller sidewall tires on skinny rims help alot. I run 16x5's with 205/50 Blizzaks. I think a 205/55 would be the best. Did have the car raised 1.5 inches with a 205/60 but this was too much. The car would go anywhere and it gave up a little when there is just wet streets and no snow. Next storm I will give you a ride.
PM ya my e-mail. I'm not on here anymore. Just thought of getting a new Evo so I was doin a little research.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 12:08 AM

evo x
Old Jan 9, 2011, 07:01 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SkyGTR

What I want is opinions from Evo X and even 2009+ Ralliart owners on how much snow these cars can drive through. Regardless of the car I get, snow tires are going to be on it, my main concern is being able to drive through close 18 inches of snow at times without getting stuck.
18" of snow...in an Evo or a Ralliart? Not enough clearance...you should be looking at a totally different vehicle, like one of these:

Quick Reply: Looking for opinions