Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

WTH is this noise?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2011, 07:44 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WTH is this noise?

Ever since I've installed my ETS goods, I have noticed a really really weird sound, I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing, but I just want to understand what it is.

The best way to describe the sound is like "running water moving through a pipe", you know the sound when someone is taking a shower and you can hear the water? It only happens pre-boost, at about quarter throttle under 3k RPM. Once the turbo spools, it goes away. So my first thought was compressor surge? Hopefully it's not, and I've heard surge and it didn't sound like this. Could be a rattle from the LICP? but like I said it doesnt sound like a rattle.

Its definitely worse when the motor is cold.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 07:47 AM
Evolving Member

It may just be the sound of the turbo spool. You just couldn't hear it before because of the restrictive air box and rubber hose.

post a vid if you can

Last edited by PaperClip; Jan 7, 2011 at 07:52 AM.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 08:04 AM
Evolved Member

Leak?
Old Jan 7, 2011, 08:17 AM
Evolving Member

^+1 double check all your connections for ic pipe
Old Jan 11, 2011, 04:40 AM

I get a running water sound sometimes when making turns, it sounds like water trapped under the car or in the bodywork somewhere, I have no idea where it's coming from. I haven't noticed it being related to throttle position though...
Old Jan 11, 2011, 05:19 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides
I get a running water sound sometimes when making turns, it sounds like water trapped under the car or in the bodywork somewhere, I have no idea where it's coming from. I haven't noticed it being related to throttle position though...
yes! it is worse while turning, now that you mention that.

Damn, what could this be.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 09:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Check for a plugged A/C drain line.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 10:59 AM
Evolving Member

I feel like this doesn't have to do with boost. I was test driving a tiburon for a friend of mine (yes i tried to get them to go mitsu =D) However at low revs I heard the same type of noise you're describing. Functionally there was nothing wrong with the car, but it definitely scared my friend out of the deal. I do feel that it could have something to do with the A/C though. Definitely post when you find the source!
Old Jan 25, 2011, 08:12 AM
Evolving Member

For those interested in this. I have attributed this sound to the open filter intake I'm running. I've noticed it gets louder if Im in a high gear and going up hills or inclines, it's kind of a mix of water rushing and a "wobble" sound, and if I left off the throttle it makes a wooosh sound kind of like a gargle. The sound is just from the motor I'd guess and is being amplified by running the open filter intake.

I just downshift and spool up a few pounds of boost.. sounds and feels much better
Old Jan 25, 2011, 08:52 AM

i have this SAME problem in 2008 maxima . quote "Sup guys.. so a little while after i installed my fujita cai i started noticing when the engine is cold or if i just 1st drive off after allowing the car to warm up a bit i hear a sound that pretty much sounds like water flowing through a pipe or something.. the sound is coming from like behind the pass. air bag and on the pass. floor... also if i start up the car and its still cool & i rev it up i hear the water flowing through...not sure what this is.. after the water flows through the sound is gone and doesnt come back until the car gets cold again and i start it up and take off again... it kinda soundz like when you turn on a home A/C & u hear the water going through... anyone know what this may be?? i asked dealer when i was there for a oil change and the dude said the sunroof aint water proof so when water goes through theres hoses that leads out of the car so w.e water is there flows through...??? lol i know its not water in the intake cuz its at the other end of the engine..."

answer : "You have air in the coolant system. It is a well documented issue. Usually accompanied by low heat output at idle. There is a TSB for this issue."

you just have to coolantt flush and fill
Old Jan 25, 2011, 09:12 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by libz
i have this SAME problem in 2008 maxima . quote "Sup guys.. so a little while after i installed my fujita cai i started noticing when the engine is cold or if i just 1st drive off after allowing the car to warm up a bit i hear a sound that pretty much sounds like water flowing through a pipe or something.. the sound is coming from like behind the pass. air bag and on the pass. floor... also if i start up the car and its still cool & i rev it up i hear the water flowing through...not sure what this is.. after the water flows through the sound is gone and doesnt come back until the car gets cold again and i start it up and take off again... it kinda soundz like when you turn on a home A/C & u hear the water going through... anyone know what this may be?? i asked dealer when i was there for a oil change and the dude said the sunroof aint water proof so when water goes through theres hoses that leads out of the car so w.e water is there flows through...??? lol i know its not water in the intake cuz its at the other end of the engine..."

answer : "You have air in the coolant system. It is a well documented issue. Usually accompanied by low heat output at idle. There is a TSB for this issue."

you just have to coolantt flush and fill
Dude awesome! did you try it and it worked? I will do this this weekend, no idea when the last time the radiator was flushed anyway.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 09:48 AM

I definitely buy the idea that I'm hearing air bubbles moving around in liquid. I've noticed it almost always happens at very low speed while turning. I probably won't get around to flushing coolant until the spring but it's worth a shot to see if it helps.
Old May 29, 2011, 10:32 PM
Nzo
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides
I definitely buy the idea that I'm hearing air bubbles moving around in liquid. I've noticed it almost always happens at very low speed while turning. I probably won't get around to flushing coolant until the spring but it's worth a shot to see if it helps.
I noticed the same thing the other day, any luck finding the cause? BTW no engine mods or anything.
Old May 30, 2011, 08:49 AM
Evolving Member

same thing happened to all of my cars lol... like others said, it's because air got trapped inside.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 07:43 PM
Evolving Member

did you ever figure out what the noise was?

~Sean

Quick Reply: WTH is this noise?