Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Launch Control on my 2010 Evo X MR (T-SST)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2011, 05:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Launch Control on my 2010 Evo X MR (T-SST)

Hi Guys,

Before you tell me it's been answered before, I have read all the info I can find on the Launch Control for the SST. I think my 2010 model Evo may be different to the '08' models. All the previous threads and videos seem to be on the '08' or '09' Evo X.

I have followed all the instructions, and it has worked 3 times out of about 30 attempts!

This is how I have tried to launch:

(Steps 1, 1 and 1 tried in every order)

1. Hold down the brake
1. Hold for S-Sport mode
1. Hold ASC for about 3 seconds until I get a big message "A-Yaw BRAKE OFF"
2. Slam the throttle while holding the brake........

.....at this point, the car revs to a little less than 3000 RPM - it won't rev any higher. If I hold the throttle down I get another message "Transmission Over-Heating".

I thought they must have changed the settings for the 2010 model but the weird thing is it has worked 2 or 3 times and it was awesome!

Does anyone have a 2010 model that launches without a problem or with similar issues?
Old Jan 17, 2011, 06:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
its kinda early for that car to start launching it , dont you think ? LOL
Anyway its your car. congrats for the purchase.
in 08
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54BYTGHoxiY
Old Jan 17, 2011, 06:13 AM

Couldn't wait. It has 5600km on it so I would think it's run in.

I have followed those vids - still think the 2010 may have changed. Also, my display is different to the '08' ones in those vids. Anyone with a 2010 know whats going on?
Old Jan 17, 2011, 09:09 AM
Evolving Member

Your clearly doing it wrong I have a 2010 and it works always. Come to a stop. Turn asc off once. Put the small flipper upto sport. Then hit asc till it flashes for u. Then hit the flipper and hold it to s sport. Hit brakes HARD then mash gas all the way to the floor. Let off and go..
Old Jan 17, 2011, 09:10 AM
Account Disabled

I have a 2010 SE and it works great in my car. I just select Super-Sport mode, turn off Traction Control, and mash the brake and the throttle. The revs jump to 5000 and I release the brake and the car launches HARD. I've never seen the overheat warning, but then again I don't powerbrake it for long. Also, be aware that this procedure is pretty hard on the clutches, so use it wisely...

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/mi...teristics.html

Brandon
Old Jan 17, 2011, 09:13 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Widoww
Hit brakes HARD then mash gas all the way to the floor. Let off and go..
Pressing the brake down hard is the key here. Your transmission isn't recognizing you're trying to launch, but just stopped. Press harder and then mash the gas.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 01:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1. Hold ASC for 3 second until completely OFF
2. Put it in S-SPORT Mode
3. Put it in D
4. Step down hard the Brake pedal
5. Rapidly step on Gas to the floor and u should rev it @ 5000RPM
6. Release Brake pedal..

and that's all, enjoy your Launch..
Old Jan 17, 2011, 04:09 PM

sounds fun, but I've never tried it....would rather not have the wear and tear
Old Jan 17, 2011, 11:51 PM

Hey guys thanks for all your responses.

I have been doing it exactly as you say.

I think I worked it out today.. It will let me launch as long as the trans isn't getting too hot. I can launch perfectly now every now and again. Yesterday as I was trying it over and over so it wouldn't let me get over 2800 rpm.

It seems if I try to do it more than 2 times in a short time it locks launch mode.

If any of you guys with a 2010 try launch 2 or 3 times in a row maybe it will lock it for you too. But I wouldn't blame you for not trying I know it would be hard on the tranny.

*Edit - Tarmac Evo, it would be harder on the transmission than normal driving but they wouldn't have made it a feature if it damages the car with occasional use. It is Sooo much better than taking off without it

Last edited by matt4; Jan 17, 2011 at 11:54 PM.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 12:50 AM
Evolving Member

^ ^ i disagree, look at the gtr.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 06:44 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by matt4
Hey guys thanks for all your responses.

I have been doing it exactly as you say.

I think I worked it out today.. It will let me launch as long as the trans isn't getting too hot. I can launch perfectly now every now and again. Yesterday as I was trying it over and over so it wouldn't let me get over 2800 rpm.

It seems if I try to do it more than 2 times in a short time it locks launch mode.

If any of you guys with a 2010 try launch 2 or 3 times in a row maybe it will lock it for you too. But I wouldn't blame you for not trying I know it would be hard on the tranny.

*Edit - Tarmac Evo, it would be harder on the transmission than normal driving but they wouldn't have made it a feature if it damages the car with occasional use. It is Sooo much better than taking off without it
I dont believe it is a feature.... Its not telling you anywhere that it has launch control, this is just people figuring out how to do it, if it was made to be done it would tell you and be set up for it. But do as you want its your car i say.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 07:29 AM
Evolving Member

It's in the manual is it not? as for you overheating..stop just trying to continually launch man lol. I've done over 40 in a day but 1/4 mile cool down time in-between. And to be honest my car goes faster after a few hot laps and launches .
Old Jan 18, 2011, 07:40 PM

^ Like I said - I only do it every now and again now.

^^ when I say "feature", I mean it has been designed and programmed into the car. I'm not saying it's advertised as a feature. IMO If it wasn't designed to go into launch mode it wouldn't rev limit at 5000rpm. The fact that it rev limits and goes out of "launch mode" after 4 seconds or so (I haven't done this but it's on a lot of other threads) suggests to me that it was programmed into the computer..?

Anyway I am not disagreeing with anyone Im sure it would be hard on the transmission. But I think every now and again should be okay.

Cheers
Old Jan 20, 2011, 02:07 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by matt4
^ Like I said - I only do it every now and again now.

^^ when I say "feature", I mean it has been designed and programmed into the car. I'm not saying it's advertised as a feature. IMO If it wasn't designed to go into launch mode it wouldn't rev limit at 5000rpm. The fact that it rev limits and goes out of "launch mode" after 4 seconds or so (I haven't done this but it's on a lot of other threads) suggests to me that it was programmed into the computer..?

Anyway I am not disagreeing with anyone Im sure it would be hard on the transmission. But I think every now and again should be okay.

Cheers
Yes it is built-in but there must be a reason Mitsu has never publicly, in writing, admitted it existed, like maybe so they can claim abuse if it breaks. Having said that I have launched my car something over 50 times without ill effect.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 04:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by migs647
Pressing the brake down hard is the key here. Your transmission isn't recognizing you're trying to launch, but just stopped. Press harder and then mash the gas.
Hmm... this helped a lot for me. After "standing" on the brake pedal the car launched very hard and cleanly. Before I must have been braking only hard enough to stop the car from rolling forward and that would cause what the original poster was saying happend to him. My car would some times only rev to 3K... start trying to move forward while setting up the launch and cause a "SLOW DOWN" msg... etc.

Quick Reply: Launch Control on my 2010 Evo X MR (T-SST)