Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Building First Track Evo X in China, Help needed!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2011, 05:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SSPKris
Please feel free to email me on your build. I would be glad to help you with the SST platform. Its not as easy as it sounds to swap transmissions. There are quite a few other items that will need to be changed to make a SST into a GSR.

In all seriousness, if you are really going to do this, these are the folks to help, there's no one better.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 06:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sgtr275
Sounds like you are better off trying to import a GSR instead.

And EVO X is lighter? Really?
I was trying to, but at this point there is no way to sell my car to anyone. Ive done some work on it already. Full roll cage, interior deleting(dash, door panel and all that), it's basically a racing set up car without a right gearbox and ECU tuning and wiring...99% of the people here in China will not pay for a dime for a car like that.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by lowkey
AMS has a whole thread on weight reduction and prepping a track car, you should search for it.

Also, get acquainted with AMS for your power mods.
Ive been looking at AMS products, and also, talked to AMS dealer in China. We were trying to put together a demo car, but a gearbox is still needed for the project.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 06:38 PM
Former Sponsor

I've got a complete gsr and everything you'll need for the 5 speed conversion (wiring harness, ecu, tranny, shifter cables, shift base, mounts etc...). If you don't mind the crazy shipping costs, I'll send it. We also make surge tanks for the x for race prepped cars. Although if you run a fuel cell it might not be needed. Let me know if I can help you.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 06:39 PM
Evolving Member

im sorry if i sound negative.... but do you think all this can be shipped... go through customs.. and installed in time for this build? I mean i wisih you the best, but it seems impossible.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by SubieEvoGuy
so you have a race in a month and you are just now starting 2 build a all out track monster? Good Luck
Thanks for the attitude, apperciate it!
Old Jan 23, 2011, 06:50 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by M.Yizzle
Thanks for the attitude, apperciate it!

i apologize if it sounded negative, i just feel like your expectations are to much.

i hope the best for you, but it seems to be impossible.

if your are trying to build a all out track car like you stated, than i would expect it to take longer.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by 4drboost
He lives in China so anything is possible, they work like 24/7 over there
I live in the states, too. People in the team work really hard on the project, I was really suprised by how fast they were getting their work done. Weight saving, in only one working day, totally done. Including every little piece that needs to be cut out, they didnt even miss a non necessary screw. Amazing progress, that made me understand why we chinese people can build a skycraper in 6 months.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Gqracer
Dont forget the GSR ecu, transmission rear mount, clutch line and reservoir. Good luck bro.
Im running with Motec ECU, yep, for all that I will get them from Taiwan, but no one sells me manual gearbox there....pissed...thanks for the notice!
Old Jan 23, 2011, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
its a bad idea to build a race car with forum help, seriously. You might ask one two question or so , but that should be more like an opinion to think about.
Im sure there is a racing shop there too. You have to work what you guys have there, and for that environment. Nothing is a same.
Look up some racing shops there and work with them if you want to build a race car. That is the only good way to do that.

Rob

ps: to build a race car which is reliable as it seems to me in your case , impossible.
Skipp the first race and build a car which will give you joy, instead head ache.
1 race is not a world.
Rob, I can't agree more. The reason why I wanted to jump in the first race is I want to get sponserships to help on the finacial side, no matter what result I get in the race, what I need is a chance to show the Ads for those companies. For all the building, testing and tuning, Im working with ASR China, my technician and adivser used to work for TOP ONE wrc, and has exprience in wtcc also. Very glad to have him on my project, Im in good hands meanwhile still wondering why he is staying in his little shop besides a F3 standard track in Shanghai with all that exprience and talent...Think it's the potential he sees in China, and I start to believe there will be a biger and biger market here. The "help" in the title meant the need for the gearbox, and since you replyed so seriously and being meanful with such kindness, I do have a question to ask:
In the future, I might get a sequntial gearbox intalled. Im debating to myself on doing a GSR tranny swap and have dog gears installed, or get a sequntial install for the beginning. Sequntial would cost more, means, I will have less to put on other technologies. ASR thinks it's better for me to start with manual, and with good driving, it will be almost even to a sequntial. To me, I think the less action I make on the gear change, I will have the chance and time to focus on conering more. So, which do you think would be a better option? Thanks
Old Jan 23, 2011, 09:53 PM
Former Sponsor

why would go you go to the trouble for the sequential gear box when you already have a double clutch tranny? shifting speed is the fastest you'll get (faster then the manual or sequential).

the only thing i can think of is that the motec doesn't support the MR tranny? else why don't you stick with the stock computer? how much power are you planning on pushing? what modifications are you doing to the car? i'm confused by this build. provide us some details of what your doing to it, what class your racing, and what your goals are with it...

oh, and i think you must have missed it.... i have a 5MT for sale. every part you would need for the conversion.

Last edited by KevinD; Jan 23, 2011 at 09:55 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 05:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by M.Yizzle
Rob, I can't agree more. The reason why I wanted to jump in the first race is I want to get sponserships to help on the finacial side, no matter what result I get in the race, what I need is a chance to show the Ads for those companies. For all the building, testing and tuning, Im working with ASR China, my technician and adivser used to work for TOP ONE wrc, and has exprience in wtcc also. Very glad to have him on my project, Im in good hands meanwhile still wondering why he is staying in his little shop besides a F3 standard track in Shanghai with all that exprience and talent...Think it's the potential he sees in China, and I start to believe there will be a biger and biger market here. The "help" in the title meant the need for the gearbox, and since you replyed so seriously and being meanful with such kindness, I do have a question to ask:
In the future, I might get a sequntial gearbox intalled. Im debating to myself on doing a GSR tranny swap and have dog gears installed, or get a sequntial install for the beginning. Sequntial would cost more, means, I will have less to put on other technologies. ASR thinks it's better for me to start with manual, and with good driving, it will be almost even to a sequntial. To me, I think the less action I make on the gear change, I will have the chance and time to focus on conering more. So, which do you think would be a better option? Thanks
thanks for the kind words.

My takes further on this. When you have a mechanic behind you like him with his experience, then he should have all the answer's for you. He might not fully familiar with the evo but still, the idea what he has is good. My opinion consult with him , and what he needs for the build> Then you can come back and look for feed backs on products, which is actually a good idea as long as more then a usual forum " because i told you - or my friend has it" .... LOL Also avoid a so called " racing shops" takes. You will notice than ,since they are a most aggressive ones in they opinion. They need that since no other real racing history behind them , if you know what i mean.
If you think about serious racing then dont do thing twice, specially if know the goal. Even in short run is beneficial. Im talking about the transmission.
Forget the stock and the SST transmission. Neither of them is a race transmission and that is tell you all.
Look up companies like them/one of my favorite/ and get the trans from them. You will be set for life. Both performance and racing department.
this is they basic type of dog box.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0vUgUjl1ko
http://eng.kaps-transmissions.com/index.php

ACD

you can also customize you gearing etc.

also this is pretty good to finish the job :
http://www.sssdrive.com/mitsubishi_eng.php
this one if you like the flappy:

or what i like:

engine cut box

that is a proper set up . Other wise you will just waste money on other transmissions and you will never achieve what you will get with these or similar set up from italy But i like Kaps better.

Transmissions is very important , but your driving skill is more. Usually in my experience if you have a new car , takes a years do develop them. There is not a such a thing is a sit in and go, in racing. No serious sponsor will help in the first year, i think. So focus on the race so you can finish. Nothing is worst then a DNF.
There for go with a reliable , but weaker set up , and finish. That is a goal. I know its sounds negative , but actually it is not, and you will see why.

Thanks for reading , i try to give some look into a transmission angle.

Rob

Last edited by Robevo RS; Jan 24, 2011 at 06:06 AM.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 11:45 PM

Im really interested in the info on the set up that you provide above. My main concern now, would be the cost to have the whole system plus installation. My guy is dealer of holinger in China. I have never exprienced and sequntial or dogbox tranny from the past. The one you pointed out seems to be a mechanical sequntial system, right? How much would it be just to get the whole set. My ideal power plan would be 650-700BHP at four wheels, according to the track I will be running. Would it overkill to get a sequntial?
Old Jan 28, 2011, 04:30 PM
Evolved Member

Just get the SST upgrades from SSP. Your tranny will be fine. Also probably be quicker than GSR around the track.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 08:04 PM

A sequential transmission will not work with the SST platform. You cannot put a sequential transmission in the place of the SST. You will need to start with a GSR platform.

You cannot just get around the electronics in the SST to put in a dogbox. The TCU in the transmission talks to the ECU. Without changing all the electronics in the car, the car will never start without the SST transmission in it.

You can successfully build the SST transmission to handle 600+whp around any track. There is no transmission on the market that can shift as fast as the SST transmission. You can change gears in a millisecond and never fall out of boost.

You will see many SST's being built this year. You will see that they can run with the GSR with no issues. Horsepower to horsepower, the GSR cannot shift as fast as the SST.

SSP Performance

Quick Reply: Building First Track Evo X in China, Help needed!