Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

fifth gear choking

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2011, 01:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fifth gear choking

Driving on 5 gear about 45 to 50 mph the engine is choking is that normal does anybody have this problem
Old Feb 3, 2011, 01:37 PM

On a 2008 evo x
Old Feb 3, 2011, 01:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Well because of the small 2.0 the X doesn't really like being driven like that. In 5th at that speed what are you at? Like 2300 rpms? If you mash it with the rpms being so low that puts ALOT of strain on the engine. The X wants to rev.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 01:50 PM

at 45 and 50 I hold the speed steady
Old Feb 3, 2011, 01:58 PM

I have the same thing goin on with my '10. Guess we should leave it in 4th a little longer! It usually only happens to me if Im shifting from 4th to 5th uphill and the RPM drop to 2k or under.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 02:04 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by DoleSF
I have the same thing goin on with my '10. Guess we should leave it in 4th a little longer! It usually only happens to me if Im shifting from 4th to 5th uphill and the RPM drop to 2k or under.
That's almost idle, what do you guys expect? It's a heavy car with a 2.0L motor with no real torque until the turbo ramps up. You're running the thing in a tall gear at [gasp] close to idle. Aside from the car having zero response, allowing one to question the reason for owning such a machine, as a Fit on the street will wipe the floor with an Evo driven in this manner, you better hope your motor isn't knocking itself into oblivion. Doing it uphill, further increasing the load on the motor, while in 5th at low revs, borders on the absurd. I'm sorry; it's the truth of it. Good luck.

Edit: OP, I took a quick look at your past posts and it seems like your car is tuned. It also looks like you'd like to increase its power further. Might I suggest that you log onto the other Evo X forum and read the 2 current threads dealing with blown motors due to running at low revs in a high gear. It may help to save your engine.

Last edited by FJF; Feb 3, 2011 at 02:14 PM.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 02:05 PM
Evolved Member

It's normal. My 08 does the same thing, I've been told it's the pig rich factory tune.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by FJF
That's almost idle, what do you guys expect? It's a heavy car with a 2.0L motor with no real torque until the turbo ramps up. You're running the thing in a tall gear at [gasp] close to idle. Aside from the car having zero response, allowing one to question the reason for owning such a machine, as a Fit on the street will wipe the floor with an Evo driven in this manner, you better hope your motor isn't knocking itself into oblivion. Doing it uphill, further increasing the load on the motor, while in 5th at low revs, borders on the absurd. I'm sorry; it's the truth of it. Good luck.

Edit: OP, I took a quick look at your past posts and it seems like your car is tuned. It also looks like you'd like to increase its power further. Might I suggest that you log onto the other Evo X forum and read the 2 current threads dealing with blown motors due to running at low revs in a high gear. It may help to save your engine.

Well what actually happens is as the car is going to start spooling up in 4th, you naturally shift to 5th and not realizing the rpm will drop so low and as it shifts youre right at 2k going uphill at 40-45mph and yes, the engine bogs.
Downshift to 4th until back on even/downhill surface and upshift. Its just part of learning the car is all, not like Im expecting the engine to come up with magic tq to get me up the hill haha.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 03:36 PM
Evolving Member

5th gear is for freeway driving you keep it in 4th for the streets
Old Feb 3, 2011, 03:44 PM

so youre telling me you keep it in full boost @ 50-55 mph? I know the car will be over 3250rpm in any gear except 5th at that speed.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 04:05 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by DoleSF
so youre telling me you keep it in full boost @ 50-55 mph?
You're only at full boost if the throttle is wide open. Somehow, I don't think that's the case.

I know the car will be over 3250rpm in any gear except 5th at that speed.
Yes, so what? FWIW, My IX is rarely drops below 3500rpm, and never below 3000rpm. These are small, turbocharged, high-revving engines. V8s are great if you want to rev low.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 05:58 AM
Evolving Member

My car has a similar issue... like it wont bog even if im below 3k RPM in fifth up a hill, but as soon as I take my foot off the gas, the DV will flutter a little bit, and the whole car will shudder a little... This only seems to happen in 5th though. Is this the same issue?
Old Feb 4, 2011, 06:22 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
You can tune all that crap out. Mine still does it pre full warm up, because I didn't pay enough attention to the 2500-3000rpm area. When it's cold outside or you are going uphill, it's the worst.

FJF is right, though, you should just downshift.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 06:38 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah I try to down shift, occasionally I'll forget that I shifted into 5th too early and it will surprise me haha, kinda sucks.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 08:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by HudsonFalcon
It's normal. My 08 does the same thing, I've been told it's the pig rich factory tune.
this. crappy stock fueling... go get it tuned

Quick Reply: fifth gear choking