Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

valve stem leak

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2011, 03:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
valve stem leak

So I had the low tire pressure light come on for the first time. Filled it with air and two days later it was on again. I took it to the tire shop thinking i might have got a nail in it, turned out the valve stem was the reason for this leak. They took out the tpms and put a rubber one in for now. Mitsubishi doesn't warranty a bad valve stem and they only sell the whole system, not the valve stem separately and I don't want to buy a new tpms and pay them to install it. The valve stem is separate and can be removed from the system but I haven't been able to find anywhere where I can just buy the stem and replace it. Does anyone know where they sell rebuild kits or parts for these systems?

Thank you
Old Feb 7, 2011, 03:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by turbo125
So I had the low tire pressure light come on for the first time. Filled it with air and two days later it was on again. I took it to the tire shop thinking i might have got a nail in it, turned out the valve stem was the reason for this leak. They took out the tpms and put a rubber one in for now. Mitsubishi doesn't warranty a bad valve stem and they only sell the whole system, not the valve stem separately and I don't want to buy a new tpms and pay them to install it. The valve stem is separate and can be removed from the system but I haven't been able to find anywhere where I can just buy the stem and replace it. Does anyone know where they sell rebuild kits or parts for these systems?

Thank you

Do you have the stem in you hand? The TPMS sensor has a small rubber grommet at the base that needs to be replaced. It seals the wheel when the sensor is tightened down.

PM me your addy and i'll send you two kits for free. Just put the lil rubber boot that comes in the bag I send you on your sensor.

Obviously take the old one off first.

EDIT: make sure your stem is not cracked. Metal valve caps tend to oxidize with the stem and get fused together. If you try too hard to remove the cap.....snap.

Last edited by revvin9k; Feb 7, 2011 at 03:41 PM.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 03:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
They sell a rebuild kit for all tpms valve stems. I can't believe they didn't know anything about that. It's should be "rebuilt" everytime you replace the tire. I would call a good tire shop and ask them. It comes with a couple rubber oring, a replacement valve, and a new cap. They're pretty cheap too.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 08:42 PM

revvin9k thank you for your generosity to send me the kits for free. Tomorrow im gonna call the tire shop and Mitsubishi and see if they have the rebuild kits and see if it works. Thanks for all the help, much appreciated!