Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Understanding the physics/engineering of fuel efficiency (???)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2011, 12:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Understanding the physics/engineering of fuel efficiency (???)

This isn't meant to be a rant about my Evo's gas guzzling, I'm just genuinely trying to understand the mechanics of how the following can happen.

During highway driving I typically cruise just below 80mph, with my 2008 Evo X MR (mods listed below) @ ~3,300rpm or so in 6th gear. Over long distances I get maybe 23-24mpg.

In my 1995 3000GT (3.0 NA V6 base model @220hp....on a good day), again cruising @ 80mph on the highway @ ~3,200rpm (I think in 4th gear- automatic), I would easily get 26mpg.

So a big old engine driving at the same speeds and rpms gets better mileage than a new small engine that's working just as hard? Huh?

Questions:
-At similar RPMs, shouldn't each cylinder in the respective engines be firing a similar number of times?

-Shouldn't a bigger-displacement engine require more fuel in the combustion chambers to function?

-Shouldn't a 5 year old engine generally be more efficient and technologically advanced than something Mitsu designed 20+ years ago?

-How does the turbocharger affect all this? Is more fuel being pushed into the engine to mate with the compressed air, thus requiring a quantity of gas disproportionate to a NA engine of same displacement? Would a comparison to the turbo'ed VR-4 be more valid (especially given similar output numbers)?
Old Feb 9, 2011, 12:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lots of factors come into play at that speed.

Coefficient of drag, Rolling resistance, BSFC (Brake specific fuel consumption)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brake_s...el_consumption
Old Feb 9, 2011, 12:49 PM

^^ Agreed
Old Feb 9, 2011, 05:40 PM

Heavy AWD Turbo Charged Sedan, what about that = good mpg?
Old Feb 10, 2011, 07:20 AM
Evolving Member

Weight, draive train resistance from dual clutch setup, drag, AWD losses, MIVEC ingagement, more air with mods= more fuel...

turbo spinning is realtive to the volume and speed of exhaust gasses coming through. Typically, the more air+fuel burned by your setup= more exhaust gases which in turn, should spin the turbo more than stock... which is why guys running stock w/ tune get better gas mileage vs mods/tune...

smaller vs bigger displacement means nothing when comparing NA vs turbo, it more becomes a question on volume of air at x throttle NA vs volume of air at x throttle w/ turbo.

Im not a tuner/mechanic, but thats how i understood it.