Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Aem cai with cobb hard pipe kit

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2011, 03:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aem cai with cobb hard pipe kit

Has anyone installed the Cobb Hard Pipe Intercooler kit with the AEM Cold air intake box ?

AEM or Cobb can't give a answer
Old Feb 10, 2011, 06:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Cobb's LICP follows near-stock routing to fit with both their SF intake and the stock airbox so the AEM box should fit fine.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 01:20 AM

I know this is a little late coming but I just tried to install these 2 parts together yesterday. As it turns out they do not fit together out of the box. The bov location on the aem intake is just a little off to make it work. when you try to put them together it causes a large kink in the aem inlet pipe that i would think would cause lots of turbulance. I have a gfb bov, i did not try to make it work with the stock bypass valve but i don't think that would have made a difference. I first tried to cut a piece from the factory bov return hose to see if i could make it fit this didn't work either. What I ended up doing for now was using the factory inlet hose and connecting it to the AEM intake using AEM's maf housing. This lets the cobb hard pipe bov return fit perfectly. I think later I am going to try and get COBB's inlet hose to replace the factory one and use it with the AEM kit. Looking at pictures comparing it to the factory one I think it should work. In the long run this ends up making the intake cost about 100 extra dollars if you want to use COBB's hard pipes. I still noticed some increase in performance though even though I am still using the factory inlet. I hope this saves some headaches in the future.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 10:38 AM

Sounds like a lot of work haha. I've got the aem box as well. Suppose to give a decent increase in HP. My box gets pretty warm though...hope it's insulated well

Originally Posted by ralliartatl
I know this is a little late coming but I just tried to install these 2 parts together yesterday. As it turns out they do not fit together out of the box. The bov location on the aem intake is just a little off to make it work. when you try to put them together it causes a large kink in the aem inlet pipe that i would think would cause lots of turbulance. I have a gfb bov, i did not try to make it work with the stock bypass valve but i don't think that would have made a difference. I first tried to cut a piece from the factory bov return hose to see if i could make it fit this didn't work either. What I ended up doing for now was using the factory inlet hose and connecting it to the AEM intake using AEM's maf housing. This lets the cobb hard pipe bov return fit perfectly. I think later I am going to try and get COBB's inlet hose to replace the factory one and use it with the AEM kit. Looking at pictures comparing it to the factory one I think it should work. In the long run this ends up making the intake cost about 100 extra dollars if you want to use COBB's hard pipes. I still noticed some increase in performance though even though I am still using the factory inlet. I hope this saves some headaches in the future.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 10:54 AM
Account Disabled

I have an MR with cobb hard pipe kit. I did have to make a slight adjustment to my stock air box to prevend the air box from touching the hard pipe. bottom front corner on the throttle body side. i used a dremel to remove a bit of plastic on the corner. also, i don't know if the aem turbo inlet hose will fix the cobb set up. as the cobb hose and aem hose look to be slightly diffrent. id say that the cobb hose and stock hose locations are slightly diffrent also. so when going with the aem box id say you'll need the cobb turbo inlet hose as well.

Recently i installed the K&N intake shield thingy.. and also had to cut the corner out of the shield so it wouldn't bump in to the final bend in the hard pipe going to the throttle body.

As for the AEM intake i think the over all size of the box is smaller. so i think you should be able to get away from needing any adjustments.. but i can't give you a 100% answer.

I'll go take pics and add it to the post to show you what i had to do.

Last edited by user 629782012; Aug 12, 2012 at 10:57 AM.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 01:09 AM

here is my update. I just got my turbo inlet pipe from cobb. It lines up perfect to work with the AEM intake and the cobb hard pipe kit. SO my air intake is a hybrid between cobb and aem components.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 12:51 AM

very interesting, I've been debating and trying to figure out what LICP and BOV hose setup to use with my AEM intake and I too considering switching out the inlet pipe to make it work.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by mindovaanything
very interesting, I've been debating and trying to figure out what LICP and BOV hose setup to use with my AEM intake and I too considering switching out the inlet pipe to make it work.
i have an ETS upper and lower pipe kit I need to sell, brand new. It dosent replace the BOV return hose though.