Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Want help/suggestions about horrible gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2011, 11:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought my '08 MR about a month ago. From what I can tell it's bone stock. It had 7600 miles on it. To see what kind of mileage it would get I drove it in normal/automatic mode for the first full tank (yes it was hard to do). I drove it just like I've driven my F-150 for the last 5 years. I drove pretty conservative with 90% city and 10% highway (I did floor it once though 2nd and 3rd gears). I went 228 miles and averaged 17.9 mpg. When I picked the car up at the dealership I drove it home 100% highway mileage about 135 miles and averaged over 23 mpg. Anyway, I just thought I'd share this so you have something to compare to. Fuel mileage is subjective to each person. I'm very happy with the EVO since I've been driving an F-150 that gets less than 14 mpg and goes about 320 miles on a tank. I have to fill up more often, but it takes me less time at the gas station because the EVO takes half as much gas as the truck.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 11:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by highlyevolved
My jaw literatally dropped and I was ready to call BS on this until I found out you were talking about a GTS and not an EVO

my bad
Old Feb 16, 2011, 11:32 AM
Evolving Member

Lean out your tune a smidge and just drive more conservatively. There's no way you bought the car expecting great gas mileage, you most likely bought it for reasons that directly drive down your mpg(awd, modding and going into boost, etc.)
Old Feb 16, 2011, 01:22 PM
Evolving Member

I want to add something about my previous post. My shift rpm is typically 2500-2800 from first to second. Basically as soon as I reach above 8-10 mph I shift into second gear. Cruising in the cities I tend to leave it at 4th gear 40mph quite often.

OP, I was actually on the same boat thinking about getting rid of my evo because of my commute. Good luck with you.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 02:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
that is always amuse me , when someone complaining about gas mileage when they have an evo.

Evo is not an economy car by ANY means. SO anyone who bought one and thought they will have a great DD and sport car which has a good economy too, did a huge mistake. Then top of everything else here it comes the maintenance ... LOL

If you drive an EVo, and the gas mileage is a problem or bothers you, then you should look for another option ASAP. For your own sake.

2.0l 4 cylinder set up, shouldn't fool you I fyou want a great car with huge potential and performance , then get a new vette.

Rob
Old Feb 16, 2011, 03:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hmmm, well, good advice all around. You need to change how you are driving. I have an VIII, got it stock- was at 18mpg... Cams, mods and tune and I consistantly get 21-22, combined with 26.5 the best on the hwy on a trip. Never see less then 265miles per tank, not driving like a granny either--just dont see the need to be first off the light every time.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 03:26 PM
Evolving Member

Wow, a lot of posts. Took me awhile to read them all lol. Well I definitely know I wont get great gas mileage but it just seemed like it was below what even a sport car like an evo would have, comparing to what other people would get. I drive a lot in normal mode, so it shifts at 3-4k, but i will occasionally have fun. Sport mode I don't use that much. I drove my Ralliart hard as hell all the time and fill up less than I did with evo, but then again evo is different than a ralliart haha. I guess I need to learn to baby it even more than I have been.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 03:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Kevin.0
Wow, a lot of posts. Took me awhile to read them all lol. Well I definitely know I wont get great gas mileage but it just seemed like it was below what even a sport car like an evo would have, comparing to what other people would get. I drive a lot in normal mode, so it shifts at 3-4k, but i will occasionally have fun. Sport mode I don't use that much. I drove my Ralliart hard as hell all the time and fill up less than I did with evo, but then again evo is different than a ralliart haha. I guess I need to learn to baby it even more than I have been.
the most efficient way to drive it , if you stay out of boost, not the rev watching. Example you can stay around 3-4k rpm max, and use much more gas; then go up for 5 rpm but not boosting over 10 psi
But a same time will be boring too.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 03:37 PM

Is it REALLY that much money? REALLY?

This sort of hand-wringing always gets my goat. Maybe I just don't see it as a big chunk of money. So, I made this little chart:

[sorry chart didn't translate, see pic]

I figure if you flog your Evo in a DD sort of way, you'll get 15mpg. More flogging than not ,but less than psycho is 17mpg, so that's my first highlight. Conservative driving still doesn't do much better than 21mpg. I have included a 40mpg line for some soul-less hybrid or gutless econobox like a Yaris or a SmartFour2.

So, boo-hoo-hoo, gasoline prices are going up. That's a topic for another forum, but it is a manufactured crisis - to the point, it is a "failure to manufacture" crisis caused by artificial scarcity induced by government regulations to reduce supply and choke production at all levels with taxes, fees, and fascist control. The delta between 17mpg and 21mpg is 19% no matter what, but the total financial hit gets bigger as the prices rise. But, my point is - how much is it, really?

You can drive like a complete hooligan and still spend less than $3500 a year if prices go up by 16% (i.e. 4x the rate of the non-existant "inflation"). How many of you are making $400 or $500 payments? Yeah, it's pushing $70 a week, but it's only money.

Now, I can see how it could be appealing to "save" $40-odd a week when gas is $4.40/gallon by driving a soul-less econobox, but I'm more a "glass is half-full" guy to say, "It's only cost an extra $40 a week to drive my Evo like a hooligan ALL THE TIME, as opposed to driving a gutless POS." I'll pay $40 for that. Especially considering I would still be paying the note and insurance on the Evo, anyway. What does saving less than $2000 a year in gas really get you? You've got $2000, sure... but you spend your days driving a POS when AWD Evo fun stays parked in your garage?

Ok, maybe some of you are pobres barely scraping two nickels together and you have to choose between gasoline for your car or formula for your baby. If that's you... you probably are living beyond your means with the Evo to begin with.

Yes, paying for a tank of gas every 200-odd miles with Premium gas (or, that 91 Octane crap here in CA) is odious - but really... what would you rather do?

It's cheap fun to burn gas - even over $4/gal.
Attached Thumbnails Want help/suggestions about horrible gas mileage-gas-chart.jpg  

Last edited by vleigh6; Feb 16, 2011 at 03:41 PM. Reason: chart!
Old Feb 16, 2011, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin.0
Hello everyone

I've searched a lot about the fuel economy for our cars and all that. But I wanted to get suggestions/help about my situation. So when I first got the car I would drive it hard and didn't really pay attention to gas and filling up. But since gas has been going way up for premium, I've been paying attention to gas mileage, and how often I fill up. I use the odometer to see how many miles I get to low fuel warning, and I've been getting 170 MAX. One time my refuel warning came on, and only drove only 5-8 miles and the yellow screen of death flashed on. I was shocked it'd be that quick. First low fuel is like 2 gallons left, and when I refilled after the yellow screen of death, I filled up to 14 gallons. I couldn't believed I burned that much gas so quickly. I don't drive as hard as I use to but doesn't explained this crappy of gas mileage. I'm starting to rethink my purchase, maybe not a good idea. Money is tight with me now, job is giving me less hours. Been looking for a new job for higher pay.

Could it be a certain issue I'm having with the car or is it just the car and rising gas prices? My friend in his sti gets over 200 and drives hard.

One great idea i would have, but probably hard to do, is get a second car as a dd, good fuel economy one.

One last resort I might have to do is sell the car, even tho I've only had for 3 months?

Any suggestions/help would be great. Just wanted to vent to fellow evo guys to see about any help.

Thanks

Kevin
If gas mileage is your major concern then your only option is sell your Evo and buy a Jetta TDI, 44MPG
Old Feb 16, 2011, 10:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by vleigh6
This sort of hand-wringing always gets my goat. Maybe I just don't see it as a big chunk of money. So, I made this little chart:

[sorry chart didn't translate, see pic]

I figure if you flog your Evo in a DD sort of way, you'll get 15mpg. More flogging than not ,but less than psycho is 17mpg, so that's my first highlight. Conservative driving still doesn't do much better than 21mpg. I have included a 40mpg line for some soul-less hybrid or gutless econobox like a Yaris or a SmartFour2.

So, boo-hoo-hoo, gasoline prices are going up. That's a topic for another forum, but it is a manufactured crisis - to the point, it is a "failure to manufacture" crisis caused by artificial scarcity induced by government regulations to reduce supply and choke production at all levels with taxes, fees, and fascist control. The delta between 17mpg and 21mpg is 19% no matter what, but the total financial hit gets bigger as the prices rise. But, my point is - how much is it, really?

You can drive like a complete hooligan and still spend less than $3500 a year if prices go up by 16% (i.e. 4x the rate of the non-existant "inflation"). How many of you are making $400 or $500 payments? Yeah, it's pushing $70 a week, but it's only money.

Now, I can see how it could be appealing to "save" $40-odd a week when gas is $4.40/gallon by driving a soul-less econobox, but I'm more a "glass is half-full" guy to say, "It's only cost an extra $40 a week to drive my Evo like a hooligan ALL THE TIME, as opposed to driving a gutless POS." I'll pay $40 for that. Especially considering I would still be paying the note and insurance on the Evo, anyway. What does saving less than $2000 a year in gas really get you? You've got $2000, sure... but you spend your days driving a POS when AWD Evo fun stays parked in your garage?

Ok, maybe some of you are pobres barely scraping two nickels together and you have to choose between gasoline for your car or formula for your baby. If that's you... you probably are living beyond your means with the Evo to begin with.

Yes, paying for a tank of gas every 200-odd miles with Premium gas (or, that 91 Octane crap here in CA) is odious - but really... what would you rather do?

It's cheap fun to burn gas - even over $4/gal.
If this is true (I'm lazy right now/tired and don't feel like doing the math myself) then I thought it certainly would be more. I guess it isn't as expensive as people make it out to be.

My silverado tank is 26 or 28 gallons I think and I go threw it every four days. So don't feel so bad.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 10:34 PM

I shift my stock 2010 around 4000 and get about 19-21 mpg.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 11:25 PM
Evolved Member

Other day I drove home, bout an hour trip mostly highway. Stayed out of the boost for the most part and was getting 23 mpg. My whp is wrong since I haven't dyno'ed the car recently (added TBE, cams, valve springs) but making a good deal more than the factory is a win for me. I actually get the best mileage in the family lol. Dad has an old Ford Ranger, brother a Mountaineer, and mom a MKX. I also decided to pick up a Kawasaki 250R for commuting purposes in the summer, 60 mpg ftw!!

I'd say if you shift early (normally before 5k for me) and don't race from every light you should get reasonable mileage.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 12:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I noticed that if I have that mpg graph on the screen, I used to always worry about the mileage I was getting and tried to ease off to improve the mileage. So after the first month, I just switch it to the s-awc screen and I dont worry about mileage anymore. I do keep track of fillups and servicing in an iphone app, but just for records and to see how much I am enjoying not worrying about the mpg anymore (lower mpg=more fun driving).
Old Feb 17, 2011, 05:37 AM

i get around 180 mpt and average around 15mpg but on a trip I have had 28 mpg before.

Quick Reply: Want help/suggestions about horrible gas mileage