Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Want help/suggestions about horrible gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2011, 08:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just like "th3whitestar" said... try to shift between 3k to 4k, and stay below 60mph.. is difficult to do so, but you will see a better result. I did!!! my X makes 350whp, I don't know but I feel like after I get it tuned it runs better smoother and longer. I DD my car and hv about 18k miles on. avg. about 21-23 mpg combination city/highway... full up the tank and I use 39 miles each day for 6 days a week before yellow beeb comes up. last only few days though when I do above 100+mph. lol.....
Old Feb 17, 2011, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by vleigh6
This sort of hand-wringing always gets my goat. Maybe I just don't see it as a big chunk of money. So, I made this little chart:

[sorry chart didn't translate, see pic]

I figure if you flog your Evo in a DD sort of way, you'll get 15mpg. More flogging than not ,but less than psycho is 17mpg, so that's my first highlight. Conservative driving still doesn't do much better than 21mpg. I have included a 40mpg line for some soul-less hybrid or gutless econobox like a Yaris or a SmartFour2.

So, boo-hoo-hoo, gasoline prices are going up. That's a topic for another forum, but it is a manufactured crisis - to the point, it is a "failure to manufacture" crisis caused by artificial scarcity induced by government regulations to reduce supply and choke production at all levels with taxes, fees, and fascist control. The delta between 17mpg and 21mpg is 19% no matter what, but the total financial hit gets bigger as the prices rise. But, my point is - how much is it, really?

You can drive like a complete hooligan and still spend less than $3500 a year if prices go up by 16% (i.e. 4x the rate of the non-existant "inflation&quot. How many of you are making $400 or $500 payments? Yeah, it's pushing $70 a week, but it's only money.

Now, I can see how it could be appealing to "save" $40-odd a week when gas is $4.40/gallon by driving a soul-less econobox, but I'm more a "glass is half-full" guy to say, "It's only cost an extra $40 a week to drive my Evo like a hooligan ALL THE TIME, as opposed to driving a gutless POS." I'll pay $40 for that. Especially considering I would still be paying the note and insurance on the Evo, anyway. What does saving less than $2000 a year in gas really get you? You've got $2000, sure... but you spend your days driving a POS when AWD Evo fun stays parked in your garage?

Ok, maybe some of you are pobres barely scraping two nickels together and you have to choose between gasoline for your car or formula for your baby. If that's you... you probably are living beyond your means with the Evo to begin with.

Yes, paying for a tank of gas every 200-odd miles with Premium gas (or, that 91 Octane crap here in CA) is odious - but really... what would you rather do?

It's cheap fun to burn gas - even over $4/gal.
This is the same on my Honda. I beat the **** out of it and redline every gear at every light and just generally drive like I stole it. I net like 25MPG. I try to hyper mile like the other *******s in the fast lane and get like 34 MPG. Eventually I came to the realization that a mix of "spirited" driving and conservative driving netted me acceptable MPG and didn't bore me to death. best MPG out of the 2010 MR so far is 23 MPG @ altitude. Worst day was when it was -35F and I got maybe 13 MPG.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 09:21 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for all the suggestions. I hope I can work/live with the gas mileage. If it continues to get worse for me may consider something more fuel efficient but sporty, but sacrifcing the power I have with the evo. Anyone with real life experience or just knowing if any of these cars would make a noticeable difference in saving gas?--->acura tl type s (07/08), civic si/acura rsx-s, bmw z4. thinking of others but thats a start.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 12:43 AM

Not loading the engine (i.e. 5th gear - 1800rmp - going up-hill) will save a bunch in fuel. You can putz around in 4th and have it 4,000rmp and get way better mileage than the above example. Use the right gear and don't be afraid to drop it down one. Every vehicle is so starkly different to drive in. Driving a Subie around meant shifting 2-3k everytime. Evo seems to like 3-4k. However, I will only shift between those marks when fully warm (not coolant guage since that does not have anything to do with oil temp) since I don't want to stress the engine and see a good turbo spin 125K+ rpm on cold oil.

Obviously your right foot has a lot to do with the mpg you'll get.

You want some fun and mpg, purchase a Miata. Awesome DD and if you want, you can take it to the track with many of the fine programs Mazda offers the enthusiast.

MvP
Old Feb 19, 2011, 02:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm getting about the same gas mileage as my old civic SI which had cams and full bolt ons. I'm getting about 16-19 mpg in the city. My car only has a ARC FMIC,HKS I/C piping, and a HKS intake. Of course I don't floor it every where I go. Only when I need to. I get about 200-230 miles before the light turns on. I have no complaints. Nothing like driving a boosted AWD car to make your day!
Old Feb 19, 2011, 07:27 AM

First off, I'm glad there were no posts claiming 25+MPG regularly in their EVO X. I remember some of the ridiculous claims made by people when the X first came out. Me, I average anywhere from 15-19 MPG. The thing is, I always felt the car drives better when you get on it. It feels much nicer accelerating and shifting at 5K RPM and then cruising at 80-90MPH (not on a public road of course) than it does shifting at 2-3K RPM and then cruising at 65MPH. Anyway yes gas prices suck, but if you honestly thought you would be able to average over 20MPG and still drive an EVO like it should be driven, that's not buyer's remorse, that's just you not doing your homework. Also if it's a real issue, try the Fuel Economy map on your AP. I don't know how much help it will be, but supposedly it lowers your boost to like Ralliart levels or something, I dunno. That was the first map I wanted to delete when I got my AP.

Now if only my company would let me work from home at least once or twice a week...
Old Feb 19, 2011, 07:35 AM

BTW, the title reads "horrible gas mileage". Compared to what? My mom's G35 automatic gets maybe 16-20MPG, my dad's Ford Explorer Sporttrac gets 16-18MPG and my wife's Odyssey gets about 14-20MPG. Now that all varies depending on how much highway driving they get as all three mostly only do city driving. None of those cars are performance vehicles nor are they "econoboxes" and they're all hitting about the same MPG as my EVO. As a matter of fact, anything outside of a econo 4-cyl. will leave you right under 20MPG if all you do is stop and go city driving. I would say the EVO is just below average for a non-economy car.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 09:22 PM

If your looking for a DD, I had an S2000 before the Evo and a Miata before that. Miata was (way) slower than the S2000, but was better balanced and cornered better/was more tied down than the S2000 and got better gas mileage. Plus, you can pick one up with 50k miles for $8k. Hands down the most fun to drive car you are going to find with reasonable mileage/gas mileage/insurance cost/bulletproof reliability for cheap. Cops don't see them. You can get a limited slip diff and a 6-speed. Gas mileage isn't THAT much better - I drove it like I stole it - flat out everywhere (which, granted, isn't super fast in a Miata and got around 21-22 mpg. 25+ on the freeway at reasonable speeds with the top up. But saving on ins, payments, etc. makes it a cheap car to run.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 09:24 PM

gas prices shooting back up isn't helping
Old Feb 21, 2011, 09:28 PM

Don't get a TL Type-S - they have ridiculously weak transmissions. Unless you can find a manual; I think they made, like, 10 of them. . .
Old Feb 22, 2011, 07:18 AM
Evolved Member

.... if $50 in gas is making you bankrupt, you can't afford an evo.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 07:39 AM
Evolving Member

It's just there's been cuts at my job and hours are short (i'm paid by the hour). I used to easily pay for everything and have $$ to mod the evo. I'm hoping the hours go back up, but I'm also in a job change shift to hopefully get paid more. That should help.
I was seeing if there might be an issue with my car with my gas, but I see its just an evo thing. I guess I just figured that meter wouldn't drop so fast lol.
Thanks for all the opinions, suggestions. Overall I'm fine just bigger dent then I'm used to, like from the ralliart and before that a scion tc. lol
Old Feb 22, 2011, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by takeit2thetrack
If gas mileage is your major concern then your only option is sell your Evo and buy a Jetta TDI, 44MPG
The guy I bought mine from sold it for one of these. As you've found out the EVO is not the best option for mileage... I'm averaging about 17mpg
Old Feb 23, 2011, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin.0
It's just there's been cuts at my job and hours are short (i'm paid by the hour). I used to easily pay for everything and have $$ to mod the evo. I'm hoping the hours go back up, but I'm also in a job change shift to hopefully get paid more. That should help.
I was seeing if there might be an issue with my car with my gas, but I see its just an evo thing. I guess I just figured that meter wouldn't drop so fast lol.
Thanks for all the opinions, suggestions. Overall I'm fine just bigger dent then I'm used to, like from the ralliart and before that a scion tc. lol
Prices continue to rise here in SA. I say you take me for a ride and I'll give you some $$$ lol.

I've been debating if I should buy an X SE or not for this sole reason....mpg.

I'm in the same situation, I love cars, I love to mod, I love to go fast....but I hate spending money on gas.

Right now I have a Hemi Ram that gets about 11-14 mpg on my 40 mile a day commute. Stepping into an Evo would definitely be an improvement in MPG but obviously not the best.

I hope I don't get flammed on but I'm actually considering a 2011 Sonata 2.0 Turbo.....274HP on 89 Regular....33 mpg on the hwy, 26 City.

Reading vleigh6's post kinda inspired me to continue to look into an Evo but only time will tell....I'm shooting between April and July to make the plunge.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 08:19 PM
Evolving Member

Get the kia optima sx (turbo), better version of the same car. Part of me kind of want 1 but I'm still young enough where I don't want to go to family cars yet. ha

I'm gonna deal with the gas issue cause I love my car.

Quick Reply: Want help/suggestions about horrible gas mileage