Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Want help/suggestions about horrible gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2011, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by djplay
When I first got my car tuned I went to the amateur tuner shop that only had experience with Subies.

Apparently they installed the boost hose on the wrong side. My car wasn't too powerful but I had great gas mileage. Like 24-27 mpg.

I got my car retuned at HB Speed and the hoses put in the correct positions. Now my car is plenty powerful but I get 18-20 mpg at best.

Since gas prices have gone up I've reflected on that situation and have been tempted to switch the hoses back.
I wouldn't do that. You don't want to mess up your car. Just try to stay a little lighter on the peddle. I know its tough but you can save a bit here and there.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 01:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I average about 21-22 MPG in our Evo, and that is with VERY conservative driving. Pushing the foot down and having a little fun nets me about 17 MPG.

I bought this car knowing full well:

A) Not to expect more than 20 MPG
B) Not to use as a daily driver

At the time, my wife was in school and was driving maybe 100 miles a week.

She graduated in December and promptly got a job as , get this, a traveling nurse.

I knew right away that there was no way that she was going to use the EVO. Not because I was worried about putting too many miles on it, but because she was going to be drving upwards of 100 miles a day. The gas cost would be crazy.

My solution was to go out and buy a $2500 Celica to use as a commuter. Now she drives it every day and we keep the EVO in the garage as a weekend car.

You've gotta pay to play.

If you bought the EVO to be your daily driver, you should have figured in the cost of $5.00 a gallon gas and see if would still be affordable to drive. Budget high.

Like another poster said, if $50 a tankful is a problem, you may have bought the wrong car. Hate to think about how the cost of insurance is affecting your finances.