Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Anybody use ramps to lift their cars?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2011, 06:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If your car is lowered (>75% of people on this site) then you cannot use rhino ramps, the incline is too steep, it needs to be more gradual. The best ramps I've found are the DIY ones listed in post #5.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 06:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
right on, thanks everyone for the good responses. got alot of good ideas
Old Feb 19, 2011, 06:16 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by luvboost
right on, thanks everyone for the good responses. got alot of good ideas
No problem! You can also find low profile jack's at stores like Harbor Freight for under $200. I got mine for $179 and it allows me enough area to just make it under to get the car up on jackstands. Linked up to the exact one I have.

http://www.harborfreight.com/automot...ack-92782.html

Brett
Old Feb 19, 2011, 06:39 PM
Evolving Member

I always use ramps. I had a jack AND JACK STANDS for the BMW 740i we own down once. I was working under the car just changing some power steering hoses. I went to do some cranking with a spanner and the car fell on me. NEVER EVER again have I done that. So I ALWAYS make sure I have some sort of ramps.

I love the wood ones there. Very cool idea and they just look brilliant. Too bad they are heavy I bet. Probably real heavy.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 06:45 PM
Evolved Member

Yes Rhino ramps are steep BUT what i usually do is jack the car high enough then slide the ramps underneathe the tire. As for the wheels been wide you will be fine, as i mentioned jack the car up then slide the ramps underneath, and make sure u place them at the center of the tire ( so it sticks out equally from the outside and inside).
Old Feb 19, 2011, 08:39 PM
Evolved Member

I use these. I bought them years ago. Their discontinued though.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...1t:429,r:3,s:0
Old Feb 19, 2011, 09:31 PM

Those home-made wood ramps are a good idea, will be making some soon.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by ToddMcF2002
Well... there has been some mention here about using the Rhino 12000 (vs. the standard 8000) which are rated for 9.5" wheels and 12000 lbs. No personal experience though. I'm sure they are sturdy, but the pitch question still remains regarding hitting the front lip.

http://www.amazon.com/Blitz-Rhino-Ra...auto_ai_-2_t_3
I don't know if you've seen them IRL, but not only are they more expensive, the angle and the lift are much higher
Old Feb 20, 2011, 05:00 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AKW89

I love the wood ones there. Very cool idea and they just look brilliant. Too bad they are heavy I bet. Probably real heavy.
I will admit they are a little heavy (about 40 lb a piece), but the handles I installed makes moving them around easier. I also stained them and put them together with screws instead of nails so they'll last a long time.

Driving the car up on ramps is so much easier & safer than using a jack. Plenty of clearance to do an oil change.

Last edited by DarwinX; Feb 20, 2011 at 05:04 AM.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 09:45 AM
Evolving Member

I use the Rino ramps. My car is stock height and they are too steep, haha. I just take some of my weights and lay 2 infront of the ramp and they give the car enough height to drive right up them. You can also use a 2x4.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Thrilla
I use Griot's Garage low profile ramps. It comes with extensions, that clears my lip and lowered car on Swift Springs. Granted I have an Evo 9.
http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...rrivals&page=1
I was curious if anyone has used Griot's low profile ramps on a stock suspension EVO X, I'm thinking about getting these but by looking at the picture it's not clear to me the EVO will clear them. However, they are way cheaper than the race ramps (65 vs 200+).

Also, does anyone know if a stock EVO will clear the base race ramps or does it need the longer ones (56 vs 67 inch length).

Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 09:50 PM
Evolving Member

You guys are making this way to hard. All you need is a pair of 2ft. long 2x4 and set it in front of the ramps, drive up it first and it will allow you to clear the ramps from hitting the front lip. This trick is use all the time with lowered cars. No cost to you if you have some spare 2x4 laying around.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 09:03 PM
Evolving Member

wont work for me unfortunately because of the ramps I have. I'm gonna fab my own up anyways from the previous posters ideas with the wood nice finish to it too
Old Jun 7, 2011, 10:57 AM
Evolved Member

I made my own just like DarwinX did and other being heavy they're great and wood is cheap.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 01:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by toro10
Also, does anyone know if a stock EVO will clear the base race ramps or does it need the longer ones (56 vs 67 inch length).
The two-piece 56" worked fine for me even slightly lowered with Aero. The two-piece are nice because you can remove the back half once it is in the air and have unhindered access from the side of the car. I put a more aggressive lip on my car and added the Xtenders and it works fine.

Unlike most people, I live in a mid-rise condo and park in a ramp. Lugging tools to a relative's house is bad enough but heavy ramps wouldn't fit in the car. The Race Ramps are light and the two-piece ones can make the trip.

Quick Reply: Anybody use ramps to lift their cars?