Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

GSR or RSTI for track?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2011, 06:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GSR or RSTI for track?

Question... I've been puzzling this one. I picked up a GC8 RS2.5 coupe that is getting an EJ257 STI build in the next few months. I'm going to track one of the cars. By track I mean turns BTW, not that drag silliness.

Which car would you build out? Just for the record, the RS25 handles like *** so although it might sound easier its far from just dropping in a EJ257 and calling it a day...

Old Feb 25, 2011, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

BTW: what I mean by track treatment is the realistically irreversible stuff like suspension/engine mounts/diff bushings that add NVH. Sure you can take them all off I suppose but people usually don't, and just live with the consequences. After putting on all the ETS stuff on the Evo recently its giving me pause about going any further with the X. One of these cars has to stay DD'able. I don't want two completely loud/raw cars with NVH, coilovers etc..

The RS is on a jack because I pulled off the horrible Greddy fart can that was giving me migraines. Like I said I don't want two cars serving the same purpose....
Old Feb 25, 2011, 08:03 PM
Evolving Member

I like how you use the X's wing as a cup holder. lol

If you don't DD the X and can afford to play with it, I would make that the track beast. But if you DD it, I would just build out the Subie.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 08:06 PM
Evolved Member

IMO. Track the 2.5rs especially if your going to do a EJ25 swap and your going to tear everything apart. Since your tearing everything apart, anyways, you can prep the car for race, ie remove sound denting, cage etc. Parts for the 2.5rs will be slightly cheaper compared to the evo. If you ever do wreck anything, there is some variety of parts that is interchangeable and also be available at the junk yard. There is more after market parts out for the 2.5rs. If you do wreck the car, 2.5rs is a lower loss compared to the evo.

Keep the evo as a DD since you have warranty on it still. The evo is probably more comfortable than the 2.5rs. Parts on the Evo is not cheap, especially if you do wreck something on the track.

This is the same reason i bought the 240sx as a project car. I wanted some think as a reliable car for DD so i bought the evo and bought the 240sx for auto x and drifting. Parts on the 240sx is alot cheaper than the evo. And if i do wreck the 240sx, its going to put a small dent in my wallet compared to the evo.

That being said. Dont cheap out on suspension parts and tires on the 2.5rs, as these are essential.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 08:08 PM
Evolved Member

It also depends if you are an experienced driver or not.

If you are an experienced driver and you have deep pockets, then the Evo would be better to track as it has more potential, and you can compete in the higher track class.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 08:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mmjsport
I like how you use the X's wing as a cup holder. lol

If you don't DD the X and can afford to play with it, I would make that the track beast. But if you DD it, I would just build out the Subie.
Wait... its not a cup holder? Its very flat on that spot I though it was a serving tray

Red Dragon - that was my original thought when I bought the RS. Under the pretense of keeping it a daily driver but that went out the window pretty much immediately. My concern is that the RS handles so badly, so I'm looking at lots of suspension work and a QuickRac. But as you say if I wreck it finding another GC8 shell won't be a real issue assuming other stuff survives. Short blocks, even with forged internals are so cheap!
Old Feb 25, 2011, 09:12 PM
Evolved Member

since the evo x handles a lot better to begin with, you can build the evo x for the track and use the rs for a dd.

it really goes both ways...so it's mostly preference.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 03:17 PM

Track the 25RS. The evo is a nice new car, use it to have a smooth, reliable, comfortable, nice looking daily driver. The 25RS is a lighter car that is worse than the evo in all the aforementioned categories.

Last edited by vhalin; Feb 26, 2011 at 03:29 PM.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 04:49 PM

I'd track the RS. I used to have an RSTi set up for track days. Its a great setup, but has a few downfalls. Get the 5x114 hubs, or bring spare knuckles to the track with you. Get a good road race tune. DSG isn't very far from you and have plenty of experience setting up and tuning race cars. Suspension, depending on hub choice, will swap from any other 93-07 Impreza. In the unfortunate event that you have an off, you're looking at $1000 for a new shell. You can't say the same thing about the Evo.

Who do you do track days with?
Old Feb 26, 2011, 05:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 108 Posts
I would track the RSTI because it is a proven track car. Its lightweight chassis and cheapness make it a way better track car than the Evo X.

If you are worried about handling you should check over the transfer case and the rear diff. You can get aftermarket diffs which would make this car godly. I always get my *** beat all the time by the 2.5RS in auto-x. The 2.5RS is a solid chassis platform that rivals the CT9A.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 05:23 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
If you can't afford to wad it up and throw it in the trash, don't track it. If you put that Subaru into a wall, you won't be out a lot of coin. Mod and track that.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 07:55 PM
Evolved Member

I'm glad to see all the nods for the RS, I like the low value at risk proposition. I shattered the pass window in it today, really POed about that! Anyway ... I don't track with anyone yet, just did Skip Barber Miata program at Lime Rock and loved it, pushed harder than anyone there and wanted to go faster....