Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

K&N intake or Injen??

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2011, 09:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is the cobb turbo inlet really that good? I would like to see some numbers cause Im thinking about picking one up and sticking with the stock box and just throwing a HKS drop in filter. I heard for the money the power is pretty much the same as throwing in the AEM intake.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 10:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Cobb and Perrin turbo inlets are very similar, and yes, they're good. Similar to design to stock, but enlarged with a smooth silicon interior rather than accordion rubber.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 10:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I went through the same thought process as you. I was considering both of these because they come with the UICP. I bought the K&N for $300 FLAT shipped to Colorado. I absolutely love it! Best $300 I've spent in a long time. Sound is great! Power increase is noticeable and I get better MPG. It's changed my driving experience. The red is very clean looking, plus I think one piece looks better than two. It matches the valve cover better than I thought it would. Instructions and fitment were good. I had one issue but it turned out to be no problem... The couplers that they provided to attach the MAF to the filter and MAF to the intake pipe were not big enough. So, I just used the ones that came on the car stock. Fit perfect! I can show you a picture if it helps... Buy it. You won't be disappointed. PM with any questions.

P.S. The filter is very nice. As you said, many intake companies use the K&N filter with their intakes.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by wwEVOsss
I went through the same thought process as you. I was considering both of these because they come with the UICP. I bought the K&N for $300 FLAT shipped to Colorado. I absolutely love it! Best $300 I've spent in a long time. Sound is great! Power increase is noticeable and I get better MPG. It's changed my driving experience. The red is very clean looking, plus I think one piece looks better than two. It matches the valve cover better than I thought it would. Instructions and fitment were good. I had one issue but it turned out to be no problem... The couplers that they provided to attach the MAF to the filter and MAF to the intake pipe were not big enough. So, I just used the ones that came on the car stock. Fit perfect! I can show you a picture if it helps... Buy it. You won't be disappointed. PM with any questions.

P.S. The filter is very nice. As you said, many intake companies use the K&N filter with their intakes.
Thanks! I think im sold
Old Mar 16, 2011, 12:00 PM

I got that K&N Typhoon intake and UICP combo, and so far has run great. Sweet sounding and no CELs. Good bang for your buck IMHO
Old Aug 27, 2011, 09:41 PM

K&n intake

Originally Posted by FL4TLINE
How does the k&n sound..good?? and are you happy with the gains? thanks
I have to state my opinion on the k&n intake. First off, I have a full Invidia tbe with k&n drop-in. I got custom tuned (cobb ap) last year & got 305 awhp, 377 awtq on a dynojet. I recently purchased the ams Intercooler & a K&N intake with uicp. After installing these I tried the stage 2 cobb sf map because the cobb intake also uses the factory maf housing as does k&n intake. I didn't have the same punch in lower rpms as my custom tune but my custom tune has very aggressive mivec settings I think to make 377 wtq @ 3200 rpms. However, I noticed my car seemed to pull harder in the upper rpms with the otc cobb sf map, using the same 94 octane fuel. I actually ran the k&n intake with my stock i/c for a few days before switching out to the ams i/c. The k&n intake is really loud. You can really hear the turbo spooling & the stock dv sounds like a freaking vta now! I monitored intake temps with both the intake & the stock air box with k&n drop-in on similar hot days. In stop & go traffic intake temps were pretty much the same, maybe a few degrees higher with the intake, but once the car is moving @ a decent speed they were pretty much the same with both. The fact that k&n uses the stock air snorkel really provides you with the best of both worlds imho. I have always used Injen on my na cars but I don't like the way Injen seems to block the fresh air duct/snorkel with their heat shield. I chose k&n because of their smart design & their high quality air filters. I am all about what makes more power. The sound of the intake is nice but if I really feel I would lose power, I would just stick with the drop-in. I am going to get re-tuned on Aug. 30. After switching back & forth ; intake-drop-in a few times, I really feel the intake is gonna get me more power. I will post my dyno results when I am done.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 09:53 PM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
injen
Old Aug 28, 2011, 06:04 AM
Evolved Member

I have always had good luck with k&n products. I currently use the drop in filter. Well worth it.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 06:44 PM

Re-tuned

Hey guys. I just finished getting re-tuned. Just wanted to share my results. Only thing I changed from my last tune is k&n typhoon intake with uicp & Ams intercooler. I was actually a little dissappointed. I gained a measly 16 whp(peak) & almost 3 (yes 3, not 30 lol) ft/lbs. Same tuner, same 94 fuel, same dyno! Sad! I expected to get more than that from the i/c & uicp alone. I almost wonder if the k&n intake is the culprit! I hate to say it. I will post my dyno printouts later in case anyone wants to compare the difference. I can't believe I spent all that money on parts, labor & dyno tuning to gain a lousy 16 peak hp & a miniscule amount of torque. I actually lost hp in certain areas but it seems I gained some overall tq. Spool -up actually is slightly slower too! Not happy!
Old Aug 30, 2011, 08:49 PM

Re-Tuned with K&N intake & AMS I/C

Here are my printouts from my dynos of last year & today. It looks like I wasted a ton of money. What do you think???
Attached Thumbnails K&N intake or Injen??-scan0002.jpg   K&N intake or Injen??-scan0003.jpg  
Old Aug 30, 2011, 09:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wasted money? You got about a 20HP gain. Don't know what else you did to your car but if it's just the intake, then that's a good gain. AMS isn't cheap either so if you think this was wasting money, then you should've gotten a cheaper intake kit and maybe even see the same results.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Piro Fyre
Wasted money? You got about a 20HP gain. Don't know what else you did to your car but if it's just the intake, then that's a good gain. AMS isn't cheap either so if you think this was wasting money, then you should've gotten a cheaper intake kit and maybe even see the same results.
Yes I made some gains but if you look @ points at various rpms compared to my last tune with stock ic & piping & stock airbox, i seem to have lost power & torque. For example: @ 3000 rpms on my first tune without intake & stock i/c, hp is at 170, tq is at 300 ft/lbs. On my new tune with intake & i/c upgrade, 3000 rpms I am only making 145 hp, & 265 tq. Slower spool up I guess.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 07:41 PM

I just came across this post searching something else. I can't help but respond back after running my new tune for several months. I think @ first I felt like I lost power because of the larger intercooler; it takes slightly longer to fill now. I flashed back to my previous tune a couple months ago. I also put back stock intercooler & airbox as it was before, just for winter. I have to say, I immediately noticed my car seemed to get into boost quicker but never had the same mid & high rpm pull as with the k&n intake & ams intercooler with my newest tune. I felt like I lost a ton of power!! I only lasted a couple weeks & I had to switch back again to my intake/intercooler set-up with new custum tune. Lol. My k&n intake & ams intercooler made more power & pulled way harder for sure!
Old Mar 30, 2012, 09:32 AM

Makes sense. I'm still happy with my k&n...
Old Mar 30, 2012, 10:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You can buy my used 3" intake for a lot less than those things