Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Pointers on trailing my Evo X cross country?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2011, 07:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yea watch the load angle the last time I hauled mine I used a friends trailer that had short ramps we had to drive in the yard and run the ramps off the curb so I wouldnt hit the bumper If the trailer has fenders be prepaired to crawl out the window.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 07:11 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by camoevox
pick large easy to navigate gas stations hotels etc avoid reverse
Definitely planning on straight lining it PA. I did some site seeing when I moved out so I will probably just pull to a rest stop and sleep in the truck when i get tired. Haha I should just pack the truck so that the couch is accessible in the back and just sleep on that.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 07:15 PM
Evolving Member

yea watch the load angle the last time I hauled mine I used a friends trailer that had short ramps we had to drive in the yard and run the ramps off the curb so I wouldnt hit the bumper If the trailer has fenders be prepaired to crawl out the window.
Already trying to find areas here in Santa Clarita where I can possible get a good angle. If not I might just have to take my front bumper off, which I find beyond boring, or set up like 15ft of 2x4s on 2x4s on 2x4s to work my way up to the trailer.

As for the window possibility...i have been practicing my ninja moves so we should be good there if that is an issue
Old Mar 28, 2011, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by V8eatr
Definitely planning on straight lining it PA. I did some site seeing when I moved out so I will probably just pull to a rest stop and sleep in the truck when i get tired. Haha I should just pack the truck so that the couch is accessible in the back and just sleep on that.
sounds like somthing i would do

renting u haul and trailer $1500
fuel $800
snacks various energy drinks 50$
lotto tickets $100
sleeping in the back of the truck at a roadside park FREE.....

waking up realizing you have been jacked traveling 70 mph on the hwy PRICELESS
Old Mar 28, 2011, 07:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Ive never towed anything but the didn't AMS burn up they're transfer case when someone.ne hauled their car? Do you have to put the whole car up on a trailer?
Old Mar 28, 2011, 07:32 PM

yes
Old Mar 28, 2011, 08:16 PM
Evolving Member

sounds like somthing i would do

renting u haul and trailer $1500
fuel $800
snacks various energy drinks 50$
lotto tickets $100
sleeping in the back of the truck at a roadside park FREE.....

waking up realizing you have been jacked traveling 70 mph on the hwy PRICELESS
hahahaha i just played this whole scenario out in my head. Hopefully one of those lotto tickets is a keeper.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 08:21 PM

Good God, you're nuts! I have experience with trailers behind pickup-trucks and 4-wheelers, where I can turn my head around and see what I'm doing. Sideview mirrors are another thing. Hope you have a good co-pilot who can spot for you, and patience. WIDE right turns, brake early! Check your tie-down straps often, make sure the trailer is secure, and a spare for the trailer would be nice. Hope a bearing doesn't go bad. Oh, and several on-board cameras, I wanna watch this! Good luck.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 01:38 PM
Evolving Member

So what is your guys' opinion about driving the car cross country and saying screw it to putting 3k miles on it? You think I should trailer it or drive it? I am getting a lot of scary feedback on evoXforums about trailering the car which is scaring me a bit. I mean by all means ill ***** to the wall either way I just want to find out the easiest/best/most efficient route. Thanks again for the advice!
Old Mar 29, 2011, 02:03 PM
Evolving Member

I trailered my 8 from WA to CO. had to take the little stop plates on the front of the trailer so i could clear my front bumper. I went with penske...their trucks are the best kept ones on the road. you will be the most cost effective by towing it. I drive real trucks for a living so it was no big deal for me. with that size setup you wont have to worry too much. just make sure everything is strapped down real well. check it everytime you get fuel. avoid backing since you don't seem to know how too, make sure your mirrors are adjusted right. (when you go around a corner you should be able to see the back of the trailer in your mirror) the trailer will follow the truck pretty well. it wont be like a semi having to take turns super wide. The biggest thing is drive at a speed you feel safe. if you have any other questions feel free to ask me. It's not as bad as everybody wants to make it out to be.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 02:11 PM

Where exactly in PA are you moving to?
Old Mar 29, 2011, 02:15 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by slowx
Where exactly in PA are you moving to?
West Chester! PA in general is home to me though. Spent half my life in Pittsburgh and half in Philly. Going back to Philly!
Old Mar 29, 2011, 02:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 4wdrifter
I trailered my 8 from WA to CO. had to take the little stop plates on the front of the trailer so i could clear my front bumper. I went with penske...their trucks are the best kept ones on the road. you will be the most cost effective by towing it. I drive real trucks for a living so it was no big deal for me. with that size setup you wont have to worry too much. just make sure everything is strapped down real well. check it everytime you get fuel. avoid backing since you don't seem to know how too, make sure your mirrors are adjusted right. (when you go around a corner you should be able to see the back of the trailer in your mirror) the trailer will follow the truck pretty well. it wont be like a semi having to take turns super wide. The biggest thing is drive at a speed you feel safe. if you have any other questions feel free to ask me. It's not as bad as everybody wants to make it out to be.
I was trying to tell him... It's all good, if you're on a tight budget, then there's not much you can do. But Penske does have the newest trucks.

I would also trailer rather than drive it. You will probably do less damage to the paint and everything by having it on a trailer. The truck you are talking about renting, 12-15ft, is not much more than a big pickup. When you get into the 16-25ft range, then they seem big and cumbersome. But driving that smaller size is not bad at all.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 02:29 PM
Evolving Member

I am actually kind of getting excited for this i think. Maybe because I have been staring at a computer screen all day at work and am becoming delusional...meh. Im leaning towards Penske 16ft with trailer! Seems to be most efficient. I am going to try and see if I can get a co-pilot for the drive, but i think most of my friends will conveniently get their periods when I ask them fly out west and drive back with me. An extra pair of eyes and hands (no homo) is always good!
Old Mar 29, 2011, 02:34 PM

Cool..about hour and a half from where I'm at. Hope the trip goes well and maybe I'll see you at some of the meets coming up.

Originally Posted by V8eatr
West Chester! PA in general is home to me though. Spent half my life in Pittsburgh and half in Philly. Going back to Philly!

Quick Reply: Pointers on trailing my Evo X cross country?