Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Considering to sell my Evo X - Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2011, 11:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good lord, you must have some psychological issues.

Cars are meant to be driven, not stored. I daily drive my Evo year round, through snow and rain. My brother daily drives a 911 Turbo. If you aren't going to enjoy your cars, sell them and buy some piece of crap you won't obsess over. Right now, it seems the cars are giving you more stress than enjoyment. I take care of all my cars, but drive the hell out of them as well. If you are not getting enjoyment out of something, than there is no point in paying for it.

Last edited by TheBlueBlur; Mar 29, 2011 at 11:27 PM.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 05:33 AM
Evolved Member

I would either drive them both (may be use S2000 for summer fun and the Evo for Winter fun) or sell them. Someone surely enjoyed driving the S2000 before you bought it...
Old Mar 30, 2011, 05:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tack
buy a piece of crap car that I could beat up and have fun with and not worry about every little thing.
That is exactly why I bought an evo! Seriously though. Drive it. The X is a great DD. I love taking it out. It's not a garage queen.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 06:05 AM

Life is WAY to short to NOT drive them. Enjoy them now and worry about the scratches later...
Old Mar 30, 2011, 07:39 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Blah! Make those pics display vertically so we don't have to move the screen around so much.

I vote you sell teh Evo and drive the fire out of and race that S2000. It already has a scratch in it, so it's ruined. Turn it into a racecar!!!
Old Mar 30, 2011, 07:46 AM
Evolving Member

[quote=Noize;9200013It already has a scratch in it, so it's ruined. Turn it into a racecar!!![/quote]

lolz
Old Mar 30, 2011, 08:42 AM
Evolving Member

I understand your obsessive compulsive disorder and suffer from a minor case myself. My parents, well really my dad, own an 04 S2K as well, which has been garage kept and only has something crazy like 7000 miles on it. It's bad though, my dad bought that car for my mom as a retirement gift (not bad retiring from a church secretary at 40 lol) and he would NEVER lets her or anybody else drive it without him. I remember they went out of town for a weekend and I took the car out because I had a date. He noticed the extra mileage when he got back and was ready to kick me out of the house for that? lol. I even washed and waxed it after I drove it, and put the car cover back on in the garage.

However, there is a happy ending to the story. As they are both getting older, my dad will be 50 in April and my mom will be 47, they don't like sitting so low so they were looking at other convertibles like the Lexus convertible LS430 maybe, i know jack about lexus, but we were at carmax while my brother was trading in his 06 Si for a 4 Runner (lame I know) and my dad ran a blue book value on the s2, and when he saw that no matter what the mileage or condition, the car was still depreciating like crazy in value and worth almost nothing, he has been driving it a lot more, letting others drive it and enjoying it much more often.

Moral of the story: Cars are not an investment, they will not earn you money. You paid and continue to pay all this money to enjoy it, so do so.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 08:45 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BoostedSlvrGSR
I understand your obsessive compulsive disorder and suffer from a minor case myself. My parents, well really my dad, own an 04 S2K as well, which has been garage kept and only has something crazy like 7000 miles on it. It's bad though, my dad bought that car for my mom as a retirement gift (not bad retiring from a church secretary at 40 lol) and he would NEVER lets her or anybody else drive it without him. I remember they went out of town for a weekend and I took the car out because I had a date. He noticed the extra mileage when he got back and was ready to kick me out of the house for that? lol. I even washed and waxed it after I drove it, and put the car cover back on in the garage.

However, there is a happy ending to the story. As they are both getting older, my dad will be 50 in April and my mom will be 47, they don't like sitting so low so they were looking at other convertibles like the Lexus convertible LS430 maybe, i know jack about lexus, but we were at carmax while my brother was trading in his 06 Si for a 4 Runner (lame I know) and my dad ran a blue book value on the s2, and when he saw that no matter what the mileage or condition, the car was still depreciating like crazy in value and worth almost nothing, he has been driving it a lot more, letting others drive it and enjoying it much more often.

Moral of the story: Cars are not an investment, they will not earn you money. You paid and continue to pay all this money to enjoy it, so do so.

Very well put
Old Mar 30, 2011, 09:10 AM
Evolved Member

It does seem that in the back of your mind you are considering these cars investment opportunities for some reason? Did you have the same mentality with your S13 that you do with these cars?

To put things in perspective, the *ONLY* Japanese car that EVER returned a POSITIVE investment return in the history of Japanese cars so far, has been the Toyota 2000gt. It was a super car from the 60's and 70's. They ONLY made 337 of them. The thing was basically on the same level as the Lexus LFA.

You *WILL NOT* be rich off these cars. The most you could possibly hope for, is to get your money back on the original purchase price. FORGET about more - not to mention you are LOSING MONEY MONTHLY paying for insurance and the cost of maintenance (having cars sit around for decades is NOT good for them).

If part of you is somehow hoping these cars are going to be worth anything in the future, put that thought out of your mind right away. There is no way.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 09:26 AM

There's some good advice in this thread.

But that being said, go enjoy your cars man. You could drive that s2000 at 8000rpm for hours with no problems. I feel you're being a bit of a panzy. Go enjoy your cars and your life a little more and stop worrying about such little things. You can drive the cars hard and respect them at the same time. They're performance cars, let them perform lol
Old Mar 30, 2011, 09:34 AM
Evolving Member

I get it. I don't think you should go grocery shopping with either car. I would sell one and focus on enjoying the one you kept. Every time you feel anxious remember you have insurance and that life is short so enjoy while you can.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 09:50 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
I can somewhat relate. I had an M3 before my Evo and it was in utterly perfect condition. I never wanted to drive to a destination because I was afraid of something happening to it. Subconsciously, I think I knew that the car was more expensive than what I should have been driving and didn't want anything to happen that might make it difficult to resell and get my money back. When I got the Evo, I bought it with the intent of using it and it wasn't as expensive. I'm still very careful with it but I do drive it on track and when it gets damaged I'm okay with it, knowing how much fun I'm getting from. Besides, aside from extreme fire or crash damage, most stuff can be fixed.

You sound like a great person to buy a car from though!
Old Mar 30, 2011, 09:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by highlyevolved
To put things in perspective, the *ONLY* Japanese car that EVER returned a POSITIVE investment return in the history of Japanese cars so far, has been the Toyota 2000gt. It was a super car from the 60's and 70's. They ONLY made 337 of them. The thing was basically on the same level as the Lexus LFA.

You *WILL NOT* be rich off these cars. The most you could possibly hope for, is to get your money back on the original purchase price. FORGET about more - not to mention you are LOSING MONEY MONTHLY paying for insurance and the cost of maintenance (having cars sit around for decades is NOT good for them).

If part of you is somehow hoping these cars are going to be worth anything in the future, put that thought out of your mind right away. There is no way.
Meh, you haven't looked at many low mileage stock Supras have you? Those have been great investments for many. Granted you won't get rich, but you might in another 20 years.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false
Old Mar 30, 2011, 10:01 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by black95tt
Meh, you haven't looked at many low mileage stock Supras have you? Those have been great investments for many. Granted you won't get rich, but you might in another 20 years.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false
Supra TT's retailed for 42 grand. Including inflation, even this list price is underwater, and I bet you he will never sell that car for over 40 grand.

Including the costs to insure the car, maintenance over 20+ years, and yeah, that guy is still SERIOUSLY underwater.

Not counting the fact that very clean Supra TT's typically go for more like 30 grand.

It still stands, the ONLY Japanese car to have a return on investment (after inflation) is the 2000gt. Anyone putting cash into a vehicle on the off chance it will be worth more is a sucker.

Any don't even start with comparing stock market index fund in 1994 vs. buying a 42K Toyota Supra TT and then never driving it.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 10:12 AM

OP, it is great to come out of the closet and admit your a perfectionist, its ok. Everybody appreciates everything differently. Even though the majority of the post here is to appreciate the car is to drive it like you stole it, j/k but drive it, the OP thinking is more of a collector mentality. there is no right or wrong way. To the OP, IMHO, your focusing way too much energy on something so superficial, instead live, love and laugh.

Quick Reply: Considering to sell my Evo X - Need Advice