Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Anyone install OEM intercooler spray?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2011, 03:04 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Anyone install OEM intercooler spray?

I found the OEM kit for the intercooler spray on japanparts.com and really want to try this. I've read that it's not supported on our ECU and I've also read that the function can be turned on using ECUTEK. I asked my dealer and they said, no one knows because no one has really tried to do it. They said if I buy it they will try to help.

Has anyone done this yet? I would think that someone would have tried this by now. Even if the auto mode wouldn't work, it would be nice to have the manual spray. I'm looking for some info from someone who has tried it or is at least knowledgeable. Thanks!
Old Mar 30, 2011, 05:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the intercooler sprayer as standard equipment on my 2003 Evo 8. I could never really tell if it made any difference or not, and I live in Texas where summers are hot. I think if you take the money and instead get a quality IC from AMS, ETS etc it's a better ROI for your $$. Just saying.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 06:56 PM
Evolving Member

i was also wondering if it would make a difference with a FMIC and if it did would you always have to spray it. like the above have mentioned a good FMIC would be a better all-a-round than having to rely on spray.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 07:54 AM
Evolving Member

I would also be interested to see what was involved. How much was the kit?
Old Mar 31, 2011, 07:59 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
This is something I'm interested in myself. I was thinking of doing my own, but there is a kit for 's. If we can find where to turn it on, we'll be golden.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 08:03 AM

I'm in as well. I've seen the pieces on japanparts.com, but was there an entire kit? I need to fill in those blank siwtch covers on my console...
Old Mar 31, 2011, 08:15 AM
Evolved Member

I had one on my '03 as well. It was nothing but dead weight.. I would spend the money on injectors, walbro and an e85 tune. Intake temps will be down and you will gain up to 50 whp just by running corn. IC sprayer will yield absolutely nothing.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 08:20 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hmmm interesting thread none the less. What about the NX intercooler sprayer kits? I know those aren't that expensive and they cool the charge just as well if not better.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 08:24 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TxEvo8
I had one on my '03 as well. It was nothing but dead weight.. I would spend the money on injectors, walbro and an e85 tune. Intake temps will be down and you will gain up to 50 whp just by running corn. IC sprayer will yield absolutely nothing.
or a meth kit. I would rather carry around liquid weight that could be fuel and lower temps etc. rather than a external spray but I had always wondered about this. They got rid of it for a reason, my guess was the money/weight was better spent elsewhere.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 08:33 AM
Evolving Member

Personally, I wouldn't let a dealer try to install something they have never done before... I don't let them touch my car period lol.

But yeah IC spray isn't going to do you much good. Im going with a meth kit personally
Old Mar 31, 2011, 10:49 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TxEvo8
+1

I had it on my old STi. I used it because it came with the car, it is not something I would pay money to get it installed. I dont see the point on a car where intercooler is located in the front.

It will not worth the money and the time you will be spending to get this thing installed on the car. Listen TxEvo8 and you will have solid gains.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 03:33 PM
Evolving Member

The kit is about $250. I'm afraid that our ecu doesn't support it though. You could always not run it through the ecu but then it would only be manual spray which wouldn't be as nice.

If someone with ecu tuning experience could chime in and let us know if it can be made to work that would be great. I like the idea of an OEM set up even if it's a little more expensive.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 04:27 PM
Evolving Member

Do some searching in the used section, you can get some aftermarket intercoolers for around 350. This will net solid gains and cool intake temp.
Old May 24, 2011, 07:35 PM

Gosh - I remember guys building a "kit" with mister nozzles from the sprinkler department in Home Depot. windshield washer pump, small universal tank (or aluminum water bottle). minor wiring, running some tubing, instant cooling spray.

This was being done 10-12 years ago with distilled water, guys seeing intake temps 40degrees cooler, then somebody got the great idea to blend 50/50 water and rubbing alcohol and saw 60-70degrees cooler (its been such a long time I can't remember the EXACT degrees). This was tested using IAT sensors used before and after the intercooler.

I can't understand how a 40 to 70 degree cooler air charge would not provide a better performing turbo system. And further more - How could a "DIY Home Depot special" sprayer work better than an OEM engineered, auto timed system?

$4$ - this is really a good bang for the $, simple, easy, SAFE mod.
Really bummed to hear you guys bashing it. Something I'm looking into adding to my RA.
Old May 24, 2011, 10:43 PM
Evolving Member

Seems wasteful to me. Sure intake temps being lower is a good thing, but there are other ways of doing it that are simpler and possibly cheaper. Better tune, better FMIC, etc. Consider that even using distilled water that's something you have to buy on a regular basis and would quickly outweigh the limited benefits. I personally would do other things that would reduce the heat AND give verified power before doing IC spray.

I DO think that at this point tuning with 50/50 meth injection you will see some cost savings...leaner tuning means less gasoline use and with meth now about cheaper than gas.....

Quick Reply: Anyone install OEM intercooler spray?