Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Brand new off the showroom Evo X missing parts??

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2011, 08:58 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brand new off the showroom Evo X missing parts??

Hey everybody, just purchased a brand new 2011 Evo X last weekend and have a few questions/concerns...

First up, I noticed today while walking up to my car that the under carriage/plastic shield was hanging down on the left side. Upon further inspection, I found that three of the six bolts were GONE and that the other three were loose. Needless to say I was pretty upset about it. I picked the car up with 0 miles on it last Saturday... How could this have happened so soon? I thought $35k+ would've gotten me something that went through an extensive QA process. Has anybody else experienced this or anything similar with their "new cars"? It makes me really nervous that something else maybe missing/loose on the vehicle.

Which leads me to my next concern. After the bolt incident I decided to check my car over bumper to bumper to make sure no other screws or plastic rivets were missing. I didnt find any more screws missing, however I noticed under my hood that my coolant reservoir has only one hose connected to it. Every pic I have come across online for an evo x engine bay shows two hoses going to the reservoir... Did they forget to connect a hose on mine?

Here's a pic of the reservoir with two hoses...

Here's mine...

Old Mar 30, 2011, 09:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I dont know if it's the case for the X, but the VIII and IX MR had to have the oil temp sensor installed by the dealership. If that practice is the same on the X, that could explain the undertray. As for the hose, put one on.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 09:10 PM
Evolving Member

Maybe some mechanic at the stealership you bought it from "borrowed" the parts.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 09:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sfearl1
Hey everybody, just purchased a brand new 2011 Evo X last weekend and have a few questions/concerns...

First up, I noticed today while walking up to my car that the under carriage/plastic shield was hanging down on the left side. Upon further inspection, I found that three of the six bolts were GONE and that the other three were loose. Needless to say I was pretty upset about it. I picked the car up with 0 miles on it last Saturday... How could this have happened so soon? I thought $35k+ would've gotten me something that went through an extensive QA process. Has anybody else experienced this or anything similar with their "new cars"? It makes me really nervous that something else maybe missing/loose on the vehicle.

Which leads me to my next concern. After the bolt incident I decided to check my car over bumper to bumper to make sure no other screws or plastic rivets were missing. I didnt find any more screws missing, however I noticed under my hood that my coolant reservoir has only one hose connected to it. Every pic I have come across online for an evo x engine bay shows two hoses going to the reservoir... Did they forget to connect a hose on mine?

Here's mine...

I've never worked on an X, however, on the VIII and IX the hose you have missing is just vented to atmosphere. It's about 8" long and just hangs to the base of the reservoir.

It's just to let air in and out. Shouldn't be a problem. However, with that said, I would bring it back to the dealer and tell them to put one on.

PS - good luck with the X

-Bink
Old Mar 30, 2011, 09:13 PM
Evolving Member

Id take the car back if I were you
Old Mar 30, 2011, 09:16 PM
Evolving Member

What Binky said. You are missing a small section of hose that vents to atmosphere in case the reservoir overflows.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 09:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
First, yea.. there are plastic screws missing from the undertray. I guess I would take it back to the dealer and get them to replace the screws. Personally, I had the same problem and I just bought the screws off mitsubishiparts.net and replaced them myself. that was 3 years ago and I haven't had a problem since.

2nd.. Yea.. ur missing the overflow tube of the reservoir. They will def give that to you for free. Again, not the biggest problem but does kinda suck for paying for a 35k car when its missing simple parts like this....
Old Mar 30, 2011, 11:33 PM

Interesting. I also have a RR GSR 2011 that is missing the same hose...I wonder if this was a model year change or something.

EDIT: Found a thread with a 2011 engine bay pic...STM's 2011 appears to not have it. Check the first pic in this thread https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...11-ww-ssl.html I'll keep searching.

Last edited by techmaster; Mar 30, 2011 at 11:37 PM.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 12:29 AM

OP, I don't think we need to worry. I went on cars.com and searched for 2011s. I found some listings with engine bay pics. None of the 2011s have that hose.

Mitsubishi is still cheaping out on us lol. My car also came with a black fuel pump relay. I'd change that too. I expected mine to have the new blue relay and was mad when it didn't. Oh well, I suppose there's a certain "fix it yourself when it breaks" mentality that you need to have when you buy an EVO.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 12:56 AM
Evolved Member

The bolts most likely they were careless when changing something vital underneath. Just get some bolts! Don't worry about the hose, only the 08's have them! Also don't panic when you see that your valve cover is plastic and not aluminum!
Old Mar 31, 2011, 04:44 AM
Evolving Member

No it is not the dealer who stole your tubeing, mine is missing that tube too. And I bought mine as soon as they unloaded from truck. So, it is something they dont include from the factory
Old Mar 31, 2011, 05:45 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sfearl1

Here's mine...

Wow, I thought my attention to detail was on point. Good luck with the X sir...more pics!
Old Mar 31, 2011, 06:00 AM

My 2010 is also missing that hose
Old Mar 31, 2011, 07:08 AM
Evolving Member

wow

Last edited by 04Evo851374; Mar 31, 2011 at 02:49 PM.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 07:12 AM

Definitely not a big issue, but take it back and have them put one on. I'm sure they won't fuss since you bought a 35k from them. good luck!

Quick Reply: Brand new off the showroom Evo X missing parts??