Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

How do I get sponsors for my car??

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2011, 04:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do I get sponsors for my car??

I've been interested for years how to obtain sponsers for my car? I'd appreciate any help onto how to do this...I live on a military base that has tons of rich young boys who spend ridiculous amounts of money on stuff and I've been driving the idea around to buy evo's and get some tuning shops open and such...problem is noon around here has nice evo's and such...so I wanna lead the pack so to speak but never really looked intensely at how to obtain sponsers. We have a track near here and I am going to start going this year.

Thanks ahead of time....
Old Mar 31, 2011, 05:07 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
sponsors will come to you if you give them a reason to...they aren't going to sponsor you unless they'll get exposure out of it

you want sponsors, you'll need to get started on your own coin...once you get your name out there (drag/auto-x/road racing/time attack) a sponsor MIGHT come along

don't count on sponsors...it's not all that common
Old Mar 31, 2011, 05:10 PM
Evolving Member

Get a car, build it up and attend shows and events on your own dime. As you win awards and get noticed you will get sponsors. I cant speak from experience since I've never been sponsored but I would imagine a company isn't going to sponsor anyone with an Evo that can fill out an application. Just like applying for a job you need a track record and accomplishments under your belt to prove you are worth hiring.
Shoot Ryan Gates an e-mail. He may shed some light on how he first started getting sponsored.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 06:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It also depends on who you know. I've spent over 30k in my honda and only been offered 1 "partial" sponsorship. The way companies see it is like this, if we do or provide parts for him what is he going to offer us in return and how is he going to represent us. Sponsors are going to want to benefit from sponsoring u. They will require u to attend shows and events and get their product out there for others to see or they will drop u. An example is drifting. Look at the good drifters like "tarzan". The main sponsor for a drifter is usually a tire place. If the drifter is good that company's products look that much better. Another example ken block. What's all over his car? Monster energy drink logos. Everytime u see him. Rally first thing he will do once exiting the car is put on that monster energy ball cap if he's on camera and open a monster energy drink and take a drink before he even speaks on camera even tho more than likely he hates the tast of that crap as much as the next person lol. Its all about what you can provide for them. If they feel they can benefit from you they will sponsor you. Be prepared to be on their leash though.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 07:58 PM
Evolving Member

Plus this car is 3 years old by design. There are far fewer opportunities now as the car ages and companies have already chosen their very few cars to sponsor.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 11:11 PM
Evolving Member

be a good person first and foremost, it really comes down to that, and love what you want to get into and what you want to get sponsored for. If your looking to just get a sponsor and hope they just give you everything for free dream on.

Like stated above you do need to start with your own car, and then build it up, attend some track events, or prove yourself in autox or drag . Sponsors like people who are willing to help them as much as they help you, give and take basically, usually all they want in return is to put some stickers on the car and ask you to sometimes attend social gatherings where your car and sometimes you are needed
Old Apr 2, 2011, 05:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
you pretty much have to have a nice car and be good at racing or really good at shows to get sponsors and they will come to you unless your a very good talker
Old Apr 3, 2011, 03:33 AM
Account Disabled

join nascar if you want sponsors
Old Apr 3, 2011, 08:56 AM
Evolving Member

haha thanks all...I don't like driving slightly right or left...whatever direction they go in...:P
Old Apr 3, 2011, 09:23 AM
Evolved Member

You have to be good and I mean GOOD. If you suck then no sponsors, so don't suck
Old Apr 3, 2011, 10:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Only way you get sponsors if they see money in you or you some how beneficial for them. Best example that girl in the indy car. She got amazing deals based on her gender. So if you some how unique or you have some financial promising future etc. You will get them. Other than that good luck.
You will get an easy "sponsorship" for discount, but that isd, as we call it in racing is a "slow death". The real and true sponsorship where the sponsors going waaay out of they line . The start is when they sell parts for you under the price its cost them or they give it to you. That is a level one. still considered as a slow death.

The monetary sponsorship where you will start see gain in your racing position. No amount of money is too small in racing , remember that.

So think about it where are you unique or you can make money for someone. That is the base you build on your sponsorship proposal.

Rob
Old Apr 3, 2011, 11:01 AM
Evolved Member

Kneepads, and vaseline... 8-)
Old Apr 4, 2011, 03:08 AM
Evolved Member

It's harder than you think. It's not just that you have to be good, you have to offer exposure and opportunity they can't find with the next guy.

I've had success with sponsors with some track results, but as important is relentless salesmanship to demonstrate awareness to their need for exposure and marketable opportunities.

PM me if you want some details.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 06:27 AM
Evolved Member

tldr answer: forget it. to get to the point where its a realistic option, you'll have spent so much that its no longer significant.

are we talking sponsors for a show car or a track car?

show car:
open a performance shop. sell a boat load of a vendor's stuff stuff. ask said vendor if they'll give you free parts for you car to promote them through your business. done. thats virtually the only way to do it.

track car:
participate in contingency programs to get started. win races and work with local sponsors based on who you meet at the track. move up after you win a national championship in an amateur series. Marty Grand won the national championship in his evo and despite sponsors, i think he still pays most out of pocket. i'd bet ryan gates is the same way
Old Apr 4, 2011, 06:29 AM
Evolving Member

and again lol

http://www.carsponsors.com/

Quick Reply: How do I get sponsors for my car??