Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

probably a stupid question...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2011, 08:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
probably a stupid question...

While me evo sits in my garage i decided to put an ams intake w/o bungs on and i put on a catch can so that takes care of the breather but now what do i do with line that goes back to the BCS? the one that formally had a spot on stock tube.

Obviously boost controller but i dont see what happens with that line...

Help please.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 08:47 PM
Evolved Member

Are you talking about the 2 lines that go from the boost solenoid? If I understand you correctly, you are and these are the 2 lines that are originally connected together via a Y adapter on the stock intake. On my ETS intake that had the bung, I had to reuse the Y adapter from the stock setup.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 09:30 PM

it would be easier to understand with pictures
Old Apr 4, 2011, 09:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The catch can really doesnt do anything unless you have it attached to the intake. The negative pressure created by the air running past the bungs, which is also called the bernoulli effect, allows for suction which pulls out those nasty blow by gasses. You really won't see much collecting in the can but it is still better then venting to atmosphere. As for the the lines that run to the BOV keep those where they are at. They should not be connected to your catch.

To be quite honest you are probably better off running the catch can from the pcv to catch all the gunk and just vent to atmosphere for the lines that would have run to the intake. Also did you install any check valves to keep any of that gunk form possibly flowing back?

This link should help. Its a general schematic of to set up a catch can.
http://highboostforum.com/forum/atta...8&d=1258741513

Also did you read the AMS installation pamphlet?

Last edited by Get Rad; Apr 4, 2011 at 09:58 PM.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by blonde
Are you talking about the 2 lines that go from the boost solenoid? If I understand you correctly, you are and these are the 2 lines that are originally connected together via a Y adapter on the stock intake. On my ETS intake that had the bung, I had to reuse the Y adapter from the stock setup.

yes its that line that now has nowhere to go and on the ams install they say to connect the breather to the catch and then it says now install your boost controller but the boost controller would your the line lower on the bcs so this is where im lost.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 04:57 AM
Evolving Member

Usually, you would connect the catch can to the breather tube side rather than the PCV side. There are many opinions on this, but as you stated, AMS's directions will instruct you to connect the breather to either the catch can or your intake (which, in your case, you don't have the breather bung, so you'll just stick with your catch can).
As for the BCS vacuum hose - simply leave it disconnected (do not plug it, but you can either remove the hose from the BCS or just zip-tie the hose somewhere.
The hose that normally goes to the intake simply bleeds off air pressure (controlling boost). With your "non-bung" intake, you just leave it disconnected.

In retrospect, I wish that I had gotten the non-bung intake. I have the bungs on mine and they don't fit well (they're not welded - they are a hose fitting inserted into a rubber grommet and the fit is definitely not tight.

Old Apr 5, 2011, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by wild01ride
Usually, you would connect the catch can to the breather tube side rather than the PCV side. There are many opinions on this, but as you stated, AMS's directions will instruct you to connect the breather to either the catch can or your intake (which, in your case, you don't have the breather bung, so you'll just stick with your catch can).
As for the BCS vacuum hose - simply leave it disconnected (do not plug it, but you can either remove the hose from the BCS or just zip-tie the hose somewhere.
The hose that normally goes to the intake simply bleeds off air pressure (controlling boost). With your "non-bung" intake, you just leave it disconnected.

In retrospect, I wish that I had gotten the non-bung intake. I have the bungs on mine and they don't fit well (they're not welded - they are a hose fitting inserted into a rubber grommet and the fit is definitely not tight.

so leaving this hose won't hurt boost at all or affect how the motor runs?
Old Apr 5, 2011, 06:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by santeller
so leaving this hose won't hurt boost at all or affect how the motor runs?
I would say it might have some affect. The motor is a pressurized system and mitsu has spent gods know how much money on engineering and research for these motors. Each line serves a certain purpose, granted there are different way to do things.

IMHO keep those vacuum hose attached and run the catch can the way I stated in me previous post. Allowing for suction to be created off the intake will give you a greater affect on the amount of blow by you will be pulling from the system. Also for this particular setup that you are running the can will serves it greatest purpose while in WOT. From what I have been reading most people don't see much caught by these cans. Especially if not connected to the intake.

No offense but do a little more research there is a ton of great information out there. I myself am in the process of picking out a catch can for my setup but I know before I do so I want all the facts and want a setup that will function most efficiently granted you will never have 100% efficiency.

Happy studying
Old Apr 5, 2011, 06:32 AM
Evolved Member

BTW what setup did you go with? I only found one catch can that is actually designed to function efficiently and at a decent price compared to most name brand cans.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 07:39 AM

I went with perrin
Old Apr 5, 2011, 08:51 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
I would make sure you have the hose off the valve cover connected to the intake and the boost solenoid you can let vent to the atmosphere or pull the line. Make sure you don't cap the nipple.

Good luck!

Michael
Old Apr 5, 2011, 10:18 AM
Evolved Member

I attached photos of the can set up I am going to go with as well as an exploded view for people to take a look at. It's design is the best I have seen thus far and at a decent price. I just need to pic up some check valves for the install.
Attached Thumbnails probably a stupid question...-catch-can.jpg   probably a stupid question...-detail.jpg  
Old Apr 6, 2011, 03:24 PM

okay so if i connect the breather on the crankcase to one hose on the catch can where can i put the other hose. I know its supposed to go to the intake for proper venting purposes but i have no bungs on the intake so where can i put the second hose for that intake suction?