Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

2010 Evo X Gsr electrical problems

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2011, 08:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 Evo X Gsr electrical problems

Been having weird random electrical problems with my new Evo. Original owner, no mods. 100% stock, about 6,300 on the odometer.

I have the sss package with keyless ignition.

Problem 1)I leave the lights on "auto" so when I turn her off, and open my door, all the lights on the car turn off. Come home, park, turn the car off and lock her up. Everything is normal. Wake up to walk my dog and no problems. Come back 40 mins later and ALL my lights are on. Rears + HIDs. I didnt even have the car keys on me. Had to manually turn the lights off. This happened twice now, so i just manually turn my HIDs on and never leave it on "auto" anymore.

Problem 2) Today I was washing my car with the keys in my pocket. Car was unlocked. Every 20 seconds the car would lock itself, and then unlock itself. I thought it was the key pushing against my wallet. So I put the key in a pocket by itself. clearly hear the "click" of the car locking and unlocking every 20 seconds. All doors and trunk were clearly shut. So i "beeped twice" to lock her and the automatic locking/unlocking stopped.

Problem 3)Today i was idling in the parking lot dropping off a friend at his car.
The evos with keyless entry systems have this knob to start the car. Normally to turn the car off you need to turn it once (for engine) and then again for (radio etc) full off. If you listen to the radio with the engine off (1 turn of the knob) and decide to leave, a message "turn off" appears.
I got the same message with the car running idle in the lot. (the computer thought the car was off and i was listening to the radio trying to leave. All my doors were closed at that time)

This is starting to **** me off. Dealership said unless they can replicate it, i shouldnt bother coming in. WTF? Do i just leave my lights on auto and let her die? So those a-holes can tow my car 40 miles to their lot and figure it out. I mean its under warranty so why the hell not?

Sorrry for the long message. thoughts?

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 09:01 PM
Evolving Member

Haha your car is haunted. Did you name her Christine by any chance lol!?

Seriously ,though, I read a thread a while back about some guy with a similar situation with his lights. Search for the thread, it's here somewhere. Similar situation.

The doors locking/unlocking while washing the car happens to me to. When I wash the passenger and driver side front doors, they unlock,lock,unlock,lock.... It's kind of annoying but you're not alone.

The last thing sounds a bit weird, though. I've had the "lo batt" or "no key" pop up randomly while driving, but I'm certain it's because my Iphone was in the same pocket as my key fob. Try keeping your phone in a different pocket than the fob, and that might help.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 09:13 PM
Evolving Member

I guess auto headlights is new for 2010. My 2008 doesnt have auto. Dealerships are useless. I would take it to a local electronic place to check out all the connections. Maybe something is shorting out.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 09:18 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Mike Bones
Haha your car is haunted. Did you name her Christine by any chance lol!?

The doors locking/unlocking while washing the car happens to me to. When I wash the passenger and driver side front doors, they unlock,lock,unlock,lock.... It's kind of annoying but you're not alone.

The last thing sounds a bit weird, though. I've had the "lo batt" or "no key" pop up randomly while driving, but I'm certain it's because my Iphone was in the same pocket as my key fob. Try keeping your phone in a different pocket than the fob, and that might help.

No i didnt name her Christine, I named her MLE or "em- el- e"... Emily?
(MLE stands for Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution... I know, clever) lol

Im kinda glad that im not the only one with the locking/unlocking of the doors during a wash.

I Never keep the key in the same pocket as my smart phone.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 09:29 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 127 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by ODUB
good races. even though we lost again, I'm good with this loss because it was a fair one. glad we destroyed the drag race though lol I just find it hilarious that the guy kept saying EVO's can't turn when stock for stock, same driver the 2011 STi gets it's *** stomped by the EVO X all day long around every road course they put it on.
Worth noting that the STi wasn't boosting right for the drag strip. Not that it was gonna run a 12.2 though.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 09:31 PM
Evolving Member

from what i understand the fastkey system will unlock the doors if you're within "x" feet of the car. but every car locks it self when no one is inside it after "x" seconds for a security thing. so its probably working fine. you get close, it unlocks, doors don't open and car isn't started, doors lock themselves, but you're still close so they unlock again.

to test that theory stand by your car when you're not washing it and don't touch it see if it still happens.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 12:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
take off both battery cables and zip tie them together for ten minutes making sure they're clear of either battery terminal. cut the zip tie then put them back on, going with positive first and then negative (not that it matters too much). make sure they're tightly on there as well but do not over-tighten them. you shouldn't be able to twist them once they're on at all.

This fixes some of the vehicle problems I have with cars that come into my work. Try it and let us know what happens.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 01:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by lancerarmstrong
take off both battery cables and zip tie them together for ten minutes making sure they're clear of either battery terminal. cut the zip tie then put them back on, going with positive first and then negative (not that it matters too much). make sure they're tightly on there as well but do not over-tighten them. you shouldn't be able to twist them once they're on at all.

This fixes some of the vehicle problems I have with cars that come into my work. Try it and let us know what happens.

Wait, what will that accomplish?
Just reset the computer?