Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Towing a "Little Guy" trailer?

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2011, 02:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Towing a "Little Guy" trailer?

Ok, first, I know the car is not intended to tow anything and that the owners manual makes that clear. But I suspect that is a general safeguard intended to keep people from towing 2000lbs+ of weight.

What about one of the Little Guy trailers? They are these small teardrop shaped trailers that are basically only big enough to sleep in, and they have an option for a small kitchen. The one I like, "Rascal", only weighs 450lbs with a tongue weight of 50lbs. It seems like that is no different then having 3-4 big people in the car. On their website, they have various pictures of small cars or motorcycles pulling these. There is even one picture of a SmartCar pulling one.

The reason for asking is because I'm planning a roadtrip this summer from LA to Fairbanks. Lodging can be limited and hard to find along the Alaska Highway in BC and Yukon. Having one of these little trailers would be perfect. Plus, they have some exterior cargo storage that could hold extra gas and more then one spare tire (both of which I'm thinking could be needed).

Lastly, don't forget that I have an MR with SST. Does anyone with good knowledge of the SST see any serious gotcha's with this plan? Thanks.
Old May 20, 2011, 03:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I seen one guy on the forum that has a trailer hitch on his evo x. People were shocked but he said he towed with it a few times.
Old May 20, 2011, 04:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
They don't want you towing because of the rear diff. As long as the trailer is light and you don't do anything silly, by which I mean activate the AYC, you'll be fine. You won't have a drivetrain warranty any more, but you won't hurt the car. There are several Evo Xs towing tire trailers to SCCA events.

Last edited by Iowa999; May 22, 2011 at 03:38 PM.
Old May 20, 2011, 07:05 PM
Evolved Member

I didn't even know that those existed. Very cool! I pulled a motorcycle trailer behind my Subaru in the mid-90s. It didn't like it very much at freeway speeds but that was probably heavier than this trailer. I think you'd be fine but you wouldn't want the hitch on the car when going to the dealer, as mentioned.
Old May 21, 2011, 11:32 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by salukidude
The one I like, "Rascal", only weighs 450lbs with a tongue weight of 50lbs. It seems like that is no different then having 3-4 big people in the car.
Lodging can be limited and hard to find along the Alaska Highway in BC and Yukon.

I've been towing all manner of crap for months now with my EvoII,heaviest load so far has been almost 1500LBS......no problem for that car.When....or if....I ever give up with the II the X will take over towing duties.....as you said its the same as carrying 3/4 large people.

I flew to Whitehorse and drove some of those roads last year.Change the X's transmission fluid before and after and maybe fit a upgraded transmission cooler and she should be fine.
Old May 22, 2011, 11:46 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the responses AND the sweet pics. That last one really makes me want to take the Dempster up to Inuvik!!